Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Sambarine
Beginner May 2015

have managed to get myself in a right mess over changing my name....

Sambarine, 2 of July of 2015 at 08:51 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 8

Hello ladies, i need some advice! I was very excited to take H's name, and started switching over bank/utilities to Mrs H when we got our marriage cert. HOWEVER, I did want to keep using my maiden informally at uni/work. (so instead of being "Mrs H" I'd be Mrs "M H" keeping maiden name as a sort of unofficial middle name). Thought there wouldn't be a problem with this, and there isn't, except when it comes to my degree certificate. That has to be issued in my legal name, and I don't want there to be a problem about that when i apply for jobs (the whole reason i need to keep maiden name in there is for name recognition as it links to publications etc)

So, do I fill out a deed poll and add my maiden name as a middle name? And if i do that, do i need to change my name with bank/utilities/dmv again? (not sure b/c its only a middle name). can't believe i've managed to get myself in such a mess with this.

8 replies

Latest activity by Helenia, 6 of July of 2015 at 17:32
  • B
    Beginner July 2016
    bananacatdance ·
    • Hide content

Sorry I can't be helpful for this, but I would also like to know the answer as I would like to do the same thing with my maiden name.

• Holey
    Beginner July 2011
    Holey ·
    • Hide content

Can you not just keep your maiden name on it's own for work? Seems like the easiest solution to me!

• Sambarine
    Beginner May 2015
    Sambarine ·
    • Hide content

That's what I want to do, but what do I do about applying for said work, when the name I'm using doesn't match my ID documents or degree certificate?

• Ddpunk
    Beginner June 2018
    Ddpunk ·
    • Hide content

Ah it's a nightmare isn't it Sam! I applied for my job before the wedding in my maiden name. Thought at the time it would be good to stay in my maiden name for work anyway so service users couldn't track me down!! I'm in limbo with half my ID in one name and half in another. Feel like a fraudster! Think I'm going to have to go straight at some point! It's just getting confusing.

• Sambarine
    Beginner May 2015
    Sambarine ·
    • Hide content

I kinda feel the same as well about work/home names being different, means students can't add me on facebook unless I want them to Smiley winking

H refused to double-barrel on grounds that it was "too posh" and "too much faff", but it would have been a lot bloody simpler just to get a deed poll each and have done with it!!

• Holey
    Beginner July 2011
    Holey ·
    • Hide content

Sorry I'm lost now!

What name are your degree docs in? Your maiden name?

• Sambarine
    Beginner May 2015
    Sambarine ·
    • Hide content

Sorry. My degree doc will be issued in my married name, b/c it has to match my drivers license/passport and I've already started switching everything over (this is what Uni told me). I want to use BOTH married & maiden name on publications/job apps/at work, but I'm worried it will confuse employers cos won't match my official documents. I like to over-complicate my life, apparently!

• H
    Beginner July 2013
    HAG13 ·
    • Hide content

I've done this. Well something similar. On all my bills and documents (not my uni certs) I am Mrs Married Name. However, I have a line in my passport that says I am also know as my maiden name for professional purposes. The tax office are also aware that I am also known as my maiden name. I kept my name at uni as being my maiden name. That way at work I'm Dr maiden name and home I'm Mrs Married Name. Don't know if that was the right way to do it but it's what I've done and it works for me.

• Helenia
    Beginner September 2011
    Helenia ·
    • Hide content

I have my degree certificate in my maiden name. It has never been a problem for job application purposes. I have "(née Maiden name)" after my name at the header of my CV, and most applications will ask if you have ever been known by any other name. If you have your marriage certificate it's really unlikely to cause an issue.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics