Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

IngridHughes
Beginner July 2016

Haven't found the dress yet and I'm getting confused!

IngridHughes, 30 of November of 2015 at 04:47 Posted on Planning 0 52

Hello everyone!
I started looking for my dress early on, when most stores didn't have their new collections in, which meant I've tried more than I expected to.
I have tried loads of dresses by now and I just haven't found one that has blown me away. I'm horribly indecisive in general and I'm finding this decision really tough.
I don't have a set style (as in princess, vintage, boho, Grecian, etc) and now I've lost weight I fit in almost any style, which doesn't help!
I'm heavily influenced by what the vendor says and then go home and stare at the photo and I'm unconvinced. Or the other way round: I'm not convinced with the dress on and then I try to convince myself to like it.
I seem to have become a little picky too as I seem to fault them...
Here are some recent ones I've tried:

Yolancris: stunning back but my dad hates the horizontal lines and I wonder if the skirt looks like a curtain.

Pronovias: can't fault it, quality noticeably not very good and I don't feel it's very exciting

Jose Maria Peiro: very well fitted top, don't like skirt and the top is actually see through

Jenny Packham: I like the idea of something unusual but it doesn't seem to feel bridal, it's like a party dress, my brother also thought it wasn't a wedding dress

Yolancris : mermaid, lace seems too intricate and overdone

Dreamon: biggest ball gown I've ever seen, enormous and doubtful quality

Rosa Clará: don't like that it doesn't have straps

Any ideas? Will I know when I find THE dress?

52 replies

Latest activity by ExpensivePinkCars201, 13 of December of 2015 at 08:35
  • E
    Beginner May 2016
    ExpensivePinkCars201 ·
    • Hide content

I knew, but I have known other people who didn't get that "feeling" but still loved their dress. You have a lovely figure but you don't look very happy in any of the pictures.

Have you tried any Maggie Sottero gowns, I might be a bit biased but they're gorgeous quality and there is a style to suit everyone.

• Mrslh2b
    Beginner August 2016
    Mrslh2b ·
    • Hide content

I think every bride is different - I did have a "this is the dress" moment. How long is it until your wedding? Maybe take a few weeks break before going in for more appointments so you go in with a clear mind - I think if you don't "love" any of those other dresses you should delete the photos rather than continuing to analyse them - otherwise you'll drive yourself barmy!

• IngridHughes
    Beginner July 2016
    IngridHughes ·
    • Hide content

Thanks!! I went to a Maggie Sottero trunk show but I didn't like any of them, they aren't very common in Spain (I'm British but I live in Spain) thank you for you advice anyway!

I think you've hit the nail with the fact that I don't look happy in any. They look very good on me but I just don't feel special or that I want to keep the dress on forever, hahaha

I think I may need to carry on looking!

• IngridHughes
    Beginner July 2016
    IngridHughes ·
    • Hide content

I get married in July next year, I've been trying dresses on and off for a couple of months now. I only take my mum who's absolutely lovely but she doesn't help too much as she says I look great in all of them.

Good point about deleting them, I just spend hours analysing them and comparing...

• Jayne E
    VIP
    Jayne E ·
    • Hide content

I agree delete all the pics and take a break. I do like the ball gown style on you although agree that one may have been a little too big. As said you have an amazing figure and anything will suit you. Have you tried any satin ones on? Seems to be a lot of patterned lace dresses there that you don't like. Maybe a plainer satin fabric is more your thing.

Mayne think about how you want your hair and what you hope to wear on your head. That can change the look. Maybe you need to see it more 'done' to feel bridal in it. Yolancris mermaid lace with thin straps looks lovely on you.

• T
    Beginner May 2016
    Tidal Wave ·
    • Hide content

Definitely take a mini break from them. I didn't find "the one" I found a good one, so not everyone experiences that so don't worry about that.

I would add that don't discount any strapless dresses, I was the same as you and wanted straps, but, alot of them have detachable straps, and you can add straps and capped sleeves to most dresses as well, which comes under the alterations.

• IngridHughes
    Beginner July 2016
    IngridHughes ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I tried a couple of satin dresses but it makes me look more serious and older, a look which I'm not really going for here.

I would like my hair loose or almost loose, as for a veil it would depend on the dress and whether I feel it needs it to complete the look.

Which Yolancris do you mean, the more fitted one further down? I liked that one but my mum didn't seem to like that it was such large vintagey lace. Do you think it suits me or makes me look like a bottle (lol, big hips, no boobs!)

• IngridHughes
    Beginner July 2016
    IngridHughes ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I think I'm very analytical so perhaps I'll never feel like it's the ONE.

I don't discard them as such, they aren't my favourite because I have a very small chest so they tend to look hollow and they move around from side to side or downwards. I have tried strapless dresses though, even though I've only featured a couple here.

Thank you for your kind words, I was feeling so frustrated!!

• Jayne E
    VIP
    Jayne E ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

The third one up. Very simple. Fitted and shows your figure wonderfully. Thin straps down the open back. I think that looks lovely on you. I don't see anything wrong with that lace. Mind you I'm probably biased as I have a lace dress. Remember it's your dress. You won't please everyone. I also think you looked lovely in the ball gown. Just maybe not quite that full.

• Beckcible
    Beginner August 2016
    Beckcible ·
    • Hide content

For me it's the Jenny Packham or Rose Clara all the way, Jenny being the winner Smiley smile

Have you tried Midgley and Sottero? Their dresses are amazing! I am a bit biased though as I am wearing one Smiley smile

• IngridHughes
    Beginner July 2016
    IngridHughes ·
    • Hide content

Thanks!

My brother seemed to like that photo too. It's actually a racer back and the thin straps are the undergarment, you can keep the straps or only have the middle racer back one.

Here is the photo from their page so that you see what I mean:

And here is the front of the dress:

• Jayne E
    VIP
    Jayne E ·
    • Hide content

I love that dress. Love it even more now I've seen the proper back and it looks fantastic on you.

Are you marrying in Spain or uk? Where in Spain are you?

• Jayne E
    VIP
    Jayne E ·
    • Hide content

Models don't have hips or boobs. Personally I think fitted dresses look better on real women than models. They show we have curves. I'm a size 14 and definately have hips and think my dress looks better on me than on the model pics. It does not in any way make you look hippy or like a bottle. Just looks stunning.

• E
    Beginner May 2016
    ExpensivePinkCars201 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Will you be back in the UK over Christmas? You might have more "English" taste and prefer the gowns stocked over here. Also the attitude of the assistant might be different, as I find people can be a bit more to the point on the continent which can come off as forceful to us Brits!

• S
    Beginner April 2016
    samwillow ·
    • Hide content

Hey,,, why do you dont search a model that you look from some website like wallao, etsy, dessy, hitched, and then you ask the tailor or bridal shop to make it. and you use it as first people

• IngridHughes
    Beginner July 2016
    IngridHughes ·
    • Hide content

I love the idea of the Jenny, as it's very original and British hahahaaa I was a bit surprised about the closed back as I'd usually go for that, my small boobs aren't my best asset! The only issue with the Jenny was that I didn't feel like a bride and my brother thinks it's a party dress. Maybe it needs to be dressed up with a veil or something?

I haven't tried Midgley and Sottero, they're very hard to find in Spain!

• IngridHughes
    Beginner July 2016
    IngridHughes ·
    • Hide content

We're marrying in Spain, my fiancé is Spanish and my family is more likely to travel than his. Weddings here are very expensive though, four or more course banquets with seafood and lobster is the norm in the North.

We live in Galicia, Northwest of Spain, it's very green and it rains quite a bit, no bullfighting or flamenco dancing, this region is celtic in origin actually!!

• IngridHughes
    Beginner July 2016
    IngridHughes ·
    • Hide content

Thank you so much!! I agree that curvy women are much sexier, it's just because I'm not as balanced being small chested. Thanks for your kind words!!

• IngridHughes
    Beginner July 2016
    IngridHughes ·
    • Hide content

Hahahaha perhaps you're right! Spanish dresses are definitely a different style and the assistants seem to tell you which is YOUR dress rather than finding that out yourself! We're so different!!

• IngridHughes
    Beginner July 2016
    IngridHughes ·
    • Hide content

I contemplated having the dress made but as I don't really know what I want in the first place it might be an even more difficult task! I'm not very good at imagining myself until I actually see it, maybe that's why I find it hard to choose, I can't SEE myself with any of them on the day haha!

• Jayne E
    VIP
    Jayne E ·
    • Hide content

I hope you post a report and pics!

• S
    Beginner September 2017
    Sorbet ·
    • Hide content

You have a great figure for dresses and I personally dislike the Dreamon as it hides that, also the yolancris (mermaid) and pronovias are nice but quite standard and boring

the others are all really lovely on you, just some thoughts

yolancris: I think this boho style really suits you ?

Jose maria Piero: where are you getting married, I think this is lovely but would avoid see through for a traditional religous wedding but it would be spot on for a chic hotel wedding or beach etc...

jenny peckham: any dress is a wedding dress if worn on your wedding day, it certainly doesnt look like a 'party' dress to me though - I really like it and think jenny is well recognised wedding designer with her unique style which will be classy and timeless ?

rosa clara: if you dont like stapless you could have straps added

I can really help you more than that as Ive know what dress Ive wanted since I was a little girl so my great stress comes down to which lace pattern I want lol

• Mrsjones2024
    Rockstar June 2024 Essex
    Mrsjones2024 ·
    • Hide content

I love the Jenny Packham dress on you.

I agree with the other girls to perhaps take a little break and try again x

• Lapland2015
    Beginner December 2015
    Lapland2015 ·
    • Hide content

I never had the wow it's the one moment I just kept going back to it and co paring everything to it. I think everyone reacts differently and it's easy to get confused with so many styles and details. I would start with the style. Do you prefer the mermaid, ball gown, Grecian (can't think of a description) style?

With regards to the comment about not liking the dress as it doesn't have straps have you considered having them added? You can chop and change bits within reason on a dress and I don't see why adding straps would be an issue as I had some put on a strapless dress in the shop when I said I wasn't keen. I didn't chose that dress in the end but the option was there to add

• bliss_balloons
    bliss_balloons ·
    • Hide content

I think the Pronovias one looks stunning on you and I agree that ball gown really suits you, although that one is a bit too much. I think you could pull off a really simple dress that just shows your figure off without hiding behind too much fabric. I think Jenny is hugely overrated, sorry!

As for not feeling like a bride, I didn't either, just standing there without my hair and makeup done and no accessories felt like I was playing dress up. Have you tried on a veil or tiara with any of them? It might make you feel more bridal.

• IngridHughes
    Beginner July 2016
    IngridHughes ·
    • Hide content

Thank you very much for telling me what you like of each dress! I agree that the Pronovias just seems a little boring to me although it fits me well.

The Jose Maria Peiro is quite a striking dress but I think it would be too much even for a civil ceremony which we're having in a open area near a lake.

I know I could add straps to the Rosa Clará but I just don't seem convinced somehow...

As for the Jenny Packham, she's completely unknown in Spain and can only be bought in a couple of stores in the whole country. For Spanish people this style would be really strange and different and they wouldn't know who on earth the designer is. Do you think the dress looks good or is it just the fact that it is a Jenny Packham? That would be wasted on Spanish people as here everyone wears Pronovias or Rosa Clará and they're very traditional Haha!

• IngridHughes
    Beginner July 2016
    IngridHughes ·
    • Hide content

Thank you very much! The Jenny seems to get a lot of votes!! Is it because of who the designer is or do you actually think it looks good on me? This designer is completely unknown in Spain and the dress would be seen as something really weird! Bling is not really fashionable and wedding dresses tend to have a lot of lace

• IngridHughes
    Beginner July 2016
    IngridHughes ·
    • Hide content

Thank you for your comment!! I agree about the straps, they can be added although the dress might look different then! I think I haven't chosen that dress yet for a reason...not sure why not though

• IngridHughes
    Beginner July 2016
    IngridHughes ·
    • Hide content

I agree that the Pronovias really suits me, I can see it better in the photos. It's a very safe choice and yet I'm not very excited about it for some reason..perhaps because I know that several girls in my small city have already chosen it...

The ball gown looks very good, I think I would shock everyone as I'm not a princessy type of girl, I'm more the fashionable sexy type haha!

As for Jenny Packham, she is completely unknown in Spain so the "fame" would be lost on most of the guests. If I choose this dress I'm taking a risk as it's completely the opposite of what wedding dresses are like in Spain!!

• S
    Beginner September 2017
    Sorbet ·
    • Hide content

The reason I like jenny is it is completely timeless... they are high class designer style dresses that you could see on a red carpet back in the 1920s, the 1940's, the 1960s, the 1990s or right now unlike a lot of dresses that become very dated due to trends (just look at the 80's lol)

looking back over them they all suit you well but my favorites are Jenny and the 1st Yolancris both are very classy

• Arpee
    Beginner August 2016
    Arpee ·
    • Hide content

I don't think you need to worry about whether people will know who the designer is! The key is finding the right dress for you, not buying the dress by the designer of the moment!

• Jayne E
    VIP
    Jayne E ·
    • Hide content

Would a trip to the uk to find a dress suit you better do you think?

Out of all the dresses you have found think of the positives. What do you like about each dress. Maybe you can then build a picture of which bits you like and what sort of style you think you're looking for Smiley smile

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics