Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

IngridHughes
Beginner July 2016

Haven't found the dress yet and I'm getting confused!

IngridHughes, 30 of November of 2015 at 04:47

Posted on Planning 52

Hello everyone! I started looking for my dress early on, when most stores didn't have their new collections in, which meant I've tried more than I expected to. I have tried loads of dresses by now and I just haven't found one that has blown me away. I'm horribly indecisive in general and I'm...

Hello everyone!
I started looking for my dress early on, when most stores didn't have their new collections in, which meant I've tried more than I expected to.
I have tried loads of dresses by now and I just haven't found one that has blown me away. I'm horribly indecisive in general and I'm finding this decision really tough.
I don't have a set style (as in princess, vintage, boho, Grecian, etc) and now I've lost weight I fit in almost any style, which doesn't help!
I'm heavily influenced by what the vendor says and then go home and stare at the photo and I'm unconvinced. Or the other way round: I'm not convinced with the dress on and then I try to convince myself to like it.
I seem to have become a little picky too as I seem to fault them...
Here are some recent ones I've tried:

Yolancris: stunning back but my dad hates the horizontal lines and I wonder if the skirt looks like a curtain.

Pronovias: can't fault it, quality noticeably not very good and I don't feel it's very exciting

Jose Maria Peiro: very well fitted top, don't like skirt and the top is actually see through

Jenny Packham: I like the idea of something unusual but it doesn't seem to feel bridal, it's like a party dress, my brother also thought it wasn't a wedding dress

Yolancris : mermaid, lace seems too intricate and overdone

Dreamon: biggest ball gown I've ever seen, enormous and doubtful quality

Rosa Clará: don't like that it doesn't have straps

Any ideas? Will I know when I find THE dress?

52 replies

• E
    Beginner
    ExpensiveBrownDiamonds1257 ·
    • Hide content

I think you need to remember that while a style might not be traditional in Spain, YOU are British and your taste should be reflected. You will also have British guests who will appreciate your taste. Go with what you like, not what you think your guests will want to see.

One thing I've noticed is that none of these dresses seem very structured in the bodice, other than the ball gown. I think that is why that is my favorite (although I do think a slimmer skirt would suit you). They all seem to be A-Line/Sheath style, other than the Yolancris mermaid. Have you tried any mermaid/fit and flare gowns that are more dramatic? Or even something with a corset to give the dress more structure and define your shape? I found that the corset backs made all the difference for me, as did trying on different cuts of mermaid/fit and flares (where the flare started on my leg dramatically changed the look. For me personally just above the knee looked best. Anything higher and it emphasised my pear shape, anything lower and it made me look like I had short stumpy legs). I thought I wanted a more gradual flare, like a trumpet style, but those just didn't feel very special to me and, as you mentioned, I felt like I'd seen that style so many times before.

Just be open. I knew I didn't like heavy beading, but I still tried on some dresses in that style. And I thought I didn't want a big dramatic flare but once I tried on one dress like that I discovered I loved how the dress was traditional on top yet fun on the bottom. Although I'm still looking for the right dress that has those qualities! And don't forget to accessorise! Some of the dresses I tried on looked so much better with a belt.

• IngridHughes
    Beginner July 2016
    IngridHughes ·
    • Hide content

Thank you!! I wondered if it was the fact it was a a a glamourous designer. I agree that her designs seem timeless, not only that one but the other Jenny dresses I tried too.

I have since tried a few more Yolancris dresses because my wedding planner for some reason believes that's the designer for me, whereas the owner of the bridal store with Jenny Packham believes I'm a Jenny bride (they sell other designers too)

• IngridHughes
    Beginner July 2016
    IngridHughes ·
    • Hide content

That's what I meant, that nobody here knows who Jenny Packham is, so I wouldn't be buying for the name, it would be because it looks amazing on me!

• IngridHughes
    Beginner July 2016
    IngridHughes ·
    • Hide content

I wish I could but a trip to the UK is out of the question because we're trying to save as much as possible so we aren't travelling before the wedding!

Thank you for the recommendation of writing down the positives, I hadn't thought about doing that! It's a way to see what I like about each dress!!

• IngridHughes
    Beginner July 2016
    IngridHughes ·
    • Hide content

Thank you!!! I think you're right about having British taste!! The Jenny Packham dresses seemed British somehow, and I am very much an expat which is part of what will make our wedding fun and interesting!

The Spaniards will probably think I look weird but I don't care haha! It's part of the fun!

I had an appointment yesterday which I had booked previously so I tried some more Yolancris as my wedding planner seems to think it's MY designer! I'll show a pic when I can!

• Jayne E
    VIP
    Jayne E ·
    • Hide content

Look forward to more pics.

• IngridHughes
    Beginner July 2016
    IngridHughes ·
    • Hide content

Here are the two recent Yolancris dresses I tried on yesterday:

Yolancris Lauren:

Yolancris Marbella:

• Jayne E
    VIP
    Jayne E ·
    • Hide content

Both pretty. My favourite is still the racer back one from the originals Smiley smile.

How did you feel about those. You're not saying they are rocking your world.

• IngridHughes
    Beginner July 2016
    IngridHughes ·
    • Hide content

That's the problem: I think they're beautiful and I look lovely but I just don't seem that excited! My brother loved these too, I think that's what a wedding dress should look like to him haha!

• Jayne E
    VIP
    Jayne E ·
    • Hide content

What about a new post asking everyone to flash their dress. Maybe something will catch your eye?

• Neil Gratton Photography
    Beginner August 2015
    Neil Gratton Photography ·
    • Hide content

The two that look best to me are the Pronovias (2nd dress in your original post) and the Yolancris Lauren. I think a possible issue with both is your fantastic slim figure - I think *maybe* a dress that maximises your hips (like the ballgown but perhaps not to quite the same extent) could have more 'wow'.

How are you finding life in Galicia? I lived in neighbouring Asturias **** and still get back often.

• B
    Beginner April 2016
    Baabaa26 ·
    • Hide content

Why don't you have a look at some of the Claire pettibone dresses. They are amazing. Papillion especially X good luck with choosing your dress and I hope you fall in love with one soon X

• Hydeschnucke
    Beginner May 2018
    Hydeschnucke ·
    • Hide content

Hmmm, have you ever thought of letting someone design a dress for you, based on what you liked with dresses you already tried or saw ? Getting a dress made from scratch based on that could be an alternative to buying what's in store.

Alternatively, my favorite wedding dress designer is "Atelier Aimee" from Italy but you can get their dresses in various countries (and of course online, but only used I think). They have stunning dresses, so maybe they have something you like as well.

Found the Italian website: http://www.atelieraimeersm.com/i

• IngridHughes
    Beginner July 2016
    IngridHughes ·
    • Hide content

Great idea!! I'm going to open a post to see other brides' dresses!

• IngridHughes
    Beginner July 2016
    IngridHughes ·
    • Hide content

Thank you for your opinion, especially from a photographer's point of view! When I first started dress shopping they kept giving me ball gowns because my bum was a little bigger but now I've lost weight so everyone is suggesting a different style.

Galicia is lovely, very much like Asturias! It's very green and the countryside is lovely as you know. Food is amazing and here weddings have at least 3 courses, lots of seafood and tonnes of food! My brother's wife is Asturian so I go there quite often too!

• IngridHughes
    Beginner July 2016
    IngridHughes ·
    • Hide content

They're lovely but I can't get a hold of her dresses easily in Spain! In fact it's a miracle that there is a small boutique which sells a few Jenny Packham dresses! It would be too difficult to travel to the UK to try on Claire Pettibone dresses I'm afraid!

• IngridHughes
    Beginner July 2016
    IngridHughes ·
    • Hide content

I have thought of having it made, but I'm not sure what I like in the first place and most dress makers I've seen make the mikado type dresses or very different or vintage looking dresses. Another issue I've found is that they don't seem to fit as well. My sister in law had hers made and so did my cousin's wife and the dress was loose on both of them on the day!

I'm going to have a look at the website you've suggested!

• IngridHughes
    Beginner July 2016
    IngridHughes ·
    • Hide content

Almost two weeks later I went to try on some more dresses. I tried quite a few but here are the top two.

This first dress was the one the shop assistant said looked best on me. I don't think it's the best on me and I don't feel it's very exciting, even though it's a pricey gown:

The second dress I thought was more interesting, it sparkles although you can't see it in the photo. The shop assistant says it doesn't flatter me as much and although I like the dress I'm unsure about the full skirt.

• Jayne E
    VIP
    Jayne E ·
    • Hide content

Maybe the second sparkly one just needs more alteration than pegs on the back gives it? It is pretty. Previously you were worried fitted wasn't great on you because you thought you didn't have enough bust to hip ratio but this first dress you look quite busty. To be honest they all look good on you.

Do the shop do alterations? Can you try sparkly again with the seamstress to properly pin and then see? I like the sparkle and the pattern of it. Might need a bust dart to fit a bit better there.

• IngridHughes
    Beginner July 2016
    IngridHughes ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I look a little bustier because they put two pads on each side haha. I actually think they overdid it with the first dress, I'm not that booby and I felt strange! With any dress I get I will have to have some cups sown to the dress but perhaps not that big hehheeee

• E
    Beginner May 2016
    ExpensivePinkCars201 ·
    • Hide content

They both look nice, I actually prefer the second one. The texture is really different to any of the other styles so maybe that's an avenue worth exploring if you liked it? It really seems that your just not loving lace and it's a big thing in Spain which is probably why all of the assistants keep pushing you towards it but there is no rule saying you have to have it! Why not go to a shop and just say "no lace dresses" and see what they have for you to try?

The assistants think they're being helpful by saying this looks good or that doesn't but that's THEIR opinion, the only one that really matters is YOURS (and maybe OH's haha!) so be prepared to love a dress that they don't, you don't want that to hold you back from your dream dress!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics