Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

L
Beginner February 2016

having a 'just us' wedding with no family?

LuxuriousBrownCakes325, 13 of February of 2015 at 16:53 Posted on Planning 0 6

Hi all,

My partner and I have been together for 9 years and have a 5 month old son. We would like to get married and make our family complete and legal and official. Our original idea was a small service with family present. I made the mistake of telling my mum and sister this so now that's what they think is happening.

However, we have been having a change of heart recently. We both dread the thought of standing in front of people saying vows. It's not us. We are not openly social, centre of attention people and we also both feel that marriage is between 2 people and we shouldn't have to do it in front of others to 'price's anything.

So we've recently been thinking that we would like to put on a nice dress and suit, get a train to the town hall, find witnesses in the reception get married and go for a meal with our son. We wouldn't tell family until we wanted to.

I have a feeling my mum and sister won't be very happy about this, they are both very wedding-y people.

Has anyone else ever done this? How did it go and how did your family take it?

Ultimately it is our day and we should be allowed to do it in a way that suits us as a family. We will not pay thousands to impress other people.

6 replies

Latest activity by rach046, 14 of February of 2015 at 19:31
  • ebony_rose
    Genius
    ebony_rose ·
    • Hide content

We did this, only I had my 2 best friends as witnesses.

I had quite a few negative comments from people, but i'd have got those, even if I had spent £20K, and invited every single person I know.

My Mum was fine with it, as she knew it's what we wanted.

• L
    Beginner February 2016
    LuxuriousBrownCakes325 ·
    • Hide content

I think my mum would understand. I thought maybe I should tell her before we do it that it's what we want deep down and we just need to do it our own way. We plan to have a family meal a few weeks/months after the actual ceremony day so we can still include everyone in some way. But in terms of the actual marriage, we just want to do it our way for our little family.

• pammy67
    Beginner April 2015
    pammy67 ·
    • Hide content

If it's what you want to do then do it, they'll get over it. They love you and mig be a bit miffed, but they will come round. Don't do what you don't want just to appease people. X

• A
    Beginner April 2015
    AprilBride15 ·
    • Hide content

Similar to what I did, left baby at mums for a weekend away and got married!y was fine about it -Hubby parents and family were livid!

I don't regret doing what I did, but the 2nd time around I've gone for the works!

It really is up to you both, I urge you to gauge your immediate families reactions first - it's not worth falling out over

• Paula @ Ollievision
    Paula @ Ollievision ·
    • Hide content

I photographed an elopement wedding. The couple booked a holiday in York and got married while they were there. I was a witness.

The bride's friend was also getting married and she saw the stress and cost of it all and wanted something simple.

I had to have a few photos ready that evening (it was Christmas eve!) so they could use them to announce the wedding to friends and family.

• InkedDoll
    VIP January 2015
    InkedDoll ·
    • Hide content

This is the second elopement post this week! I think the idea is more popular than people realise.

• R
    Beginner October 2015
    rach046 ·
    • Hide content

Me and H2B are thinking the same. After pricing up a big do with marquee we realised this really wasnt what we wanted. All i want is to be married to him and share his and our 3 childrens name. We have decided to go away and get married and looking in to a caribbean cruise (money depending) just the 5 of us! We arent planning on telling anyone before we go!

If you want a simple day then go for it, its not about anyone else.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics