Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

S
Beginner October 2005

Having laminate flooring in a new build?

SAM83, 3 of September of 2009 at 11:30 Posted on Off Topic Posts 1 14

I am having a new house built and have been told by Persimmon who are building it that we cannot have laminate flooring as its a new house. We went to a carpet shop yesterday to arrange to get a quote and they said its rubbish and we could have laminate flooring if we wanted. Now I am confused. I dont know who to believe. Persimmon only do carpets so I suppose they could be saying that just to get us to buy carpet from them.

Anyone had a new built house with laminate/wooden flooring? Had any problems? Cheers Sam

14 replies

Latest activity by Ainsley, 17 of April of 2024 at 19:57
  • Hecate
    Beginner
    Hecate ·
    • Hide content

Mum and dad are in a fairly new build - they bought it off the first owner and it has laminate that was originally there

Permisson are talking rubbish. In all the new build houses I've ever sold I have never come across this as a general rule - they may mean that THEY don't supply it

• S
    Beginner November 2005
    Skittalie ·
    • Hide content

I've heard that about new build flats from some developers but not a house before. I'd ask persimmon for what reason you can't have laminate, it could be just that they will only fit carpet included in their price.

• FutureMrsCover
    Beginner May 2011
    FutureMrsCover ·
    • Hide content

We live in a new build flat and it came with carpet, when i moved in ripped it up and put laminate down, no problems, would have thought it was better really as the floor is all level, whereas in older houses it can be uneven which isnt ideal for laying laminate, maybe they just mean they wont do it? :-S

• S
    Beginner April 2006
    Smelly Boss ·
    • Hide content

We have built our own house and put in laminate flooring no problem. I can only think of two things that Persimmon might mean:

1. If it's a leasehold property, quite often the lease states no laminate, wood floors etc. even if you are in a house or ground floor as the lease might use standard wording that I think is more targetted at flats.

2. It does slow the build schedule down a little. It is better to let the house dry out more before putting laminate down and it is better to put laminate in before the architraves, doors and skirting boards are put in. Carpet can be whacked in at the end of the build the day before you move in, rather than holding workmen up.

Otherwise - they just want you to buy their carpets!

• S
    Beginner October 2005
    SAM83 ·
    • Hide content

Sorry for not replying sooner. Thanks for your replies.

I think persimmon might be giving me a pack of lies then to try and get me to get carpet from them.

I have also rung 2 other carpet companies today for quotes and they also say I can have laminate if I want.

Thanks again

• Keelz
    Beginner
    Keelz ·
    • Hide content

We bought a new build from Persimmon just over 3 years ago & they put laminate flooring in for us, our next door neighbour had laminate put in aswell.

We haven't had any problems @ all.

• bethanw
    Beginner May 2010
    bethanw ·
    • Hide content

I work for a managing agent and I would say check your legal documents. Most leases on flats state you cannot lay anything other than carpet which is why Persimmon are telling you what they are. If it's a house though, i'd be surpried if your legal documents state there are any restrictions on flooring. But check just in case. x

• em-ster
    Beginner July 2008
    em-ster ·
    • Hide content

Hi, I have (engineered) wood flooring in my hall and downstairs lounge, live in a new build and all is well

we wanted real wood floors and were advised by several suppliers that the engineered flooring was better for the constriction of our property. something to do with the base it is being laid on; concrete, floorboards etc

we chose the thickest insulation and it has kept us toasty as well as aesthetically pleased!

• *Kitty*
    Beginner April 2008
    *Kitty* ·
    • Hide content

We're having a new house flat aswell by Miller homes and we had the choice of carpets and laminate - we've picked laminate for the lounge and hall. Carpets in the bedrooms and lino in the kitchen, utility, bathroom and ensuite.

• jelly baby
    jelly baby ·
    • Hide content

We bought a new build house from Persimmon 4 years ago and had laminate flooring put in by them. We've not had any problems with it. Now the ceramic tiles in the bathrooms though have been another matter as when the house has settled they have cracked.

• H
    Beginner
    Headless Lois ·
    • Hide content

The latest new flats by us have laminate flooring. You need to ask them what they mean by not having laminate - eg if they have this rule for a reason

L
    xx

• S
    Beginner October 2005
    SAM83 ·
    • Hide content

Hi all,

Thanks for your replies. I spoke to the lady in our Persimmon office where we are buying the house and they seem to think that its not possible to have laminate floor due to the house being new and it needing time to settle. When I questioned her about this and advised several people including carpet companies told me otherwise she was going to contact their head office this afternoon and get back to me in the morning. I think they are trying to pull a fast one though as its definitely only carpet or lino they will put in the house they dont have anyone to put wooden/laminate flooring.

I asked if there was any legal reason why we could not have it and again was told she would have to check with HO but thought not. I cant see anything on any of our paper work anyway.

So wait and see I guess.

• S
    Beginner
    smitten ·
    • Hide content

Out of interest whereabouts in the uk are you buying ? I used to work for Persimmon ( as a regional sales manager) and still do some ( different) freelance work for them.

We would put laminate in for customers but at addtional cost. If carpets are included in your deal then you would have to pay extra ( usually the difference in cost) for laminate. On a practical note I would say that newly built houses take 6 months to a year to 'dry out' properly ( dependant on time of year etc) and so you 'might ' get a small amount of moisture absorbed into the laminate if its fitted as soon as the house is finished which obviously isnt ideal for laminate as it can lift and warp. However I would say its a fairly low risk. Its the same as wallpaper - we dont advise wallpapering for about 12 mths after you move in - although developers do it all the time when getting showhomes ready !

If its very important to you to have laminate then dont get them to do it and arrange to have it put in yourselves the day after you complete ( they wont allow you to have it fitted yourself prior to completion day) - it will almost certainly be cheaper anyway ! but if they are offering free carpets I would take them and then when they are trashed replace with your flooring of choice !

• L
    Beginner March 2019 Tyne and Wear
    Louise ·
    • Hide content
    I've just moved into a new build and wasn't made aware of any potential issues with laminate. We have been in for 2 months and had the laminate down pretty much straight away. Our laminate has moved. The only reason we know its due to settlement is because we can't physically move the laminate back, its no longer long enough for the space now the property is starting to settle. I guess you just have to weigh up whether its worth risking putting it in and potentially needing it relaid in the future. Having laminate flooring in a new build? 1

• A
    Beginner August 2022 Lothian & Borders
    Ainsley ·
    • Hide content

We have recently finished our flooring. Also laminate. How can we avoid laminate from such moving?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics