Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

mandij87
Beginner August 2012

Having to share my wedding venue and not happy about it!

mandij87, 30 June, 2012 at 15:41 Posted on Planning 0 15

I just phoned my wedding venue to upgrade the reception room, which they said we could do. Then they told me I can't upgrade as they have double poked, and now there is going to be a wedding in the room next door to ours at the same time. This means we are stuck with the small room, will have to share a bar with strangers and share the gardens which were supposed to be just for us as we are getting married outside and have paid more to be able to do so. I am fuming. The woman on the phone said, well you can always change your date can't you. She was so rude. 8 weeks to go and I'm not looking forward to it anymore. I'm so upset Smiley sad

15 replies

Latest activity by Aurora Borealis, 30 June, 2012 at 21:09
  • essex_charlene
    Beginner September 2012
    essex_charlene ·
    • Hide content

Oh your poor thing. have u got your contract? does it say about private gardens bar etc? if so they are legally bound to comply with that contract and you may be able to take it further x

• mandij87
    Beginner August 2012
    mandij87 ·
    • Hide content

They didn't ever give us a contract, just receipts. I'm stuck with it Smiley sad

• essex_charlene
    Beginner September 2012
    essex_charlene ·
    • Hide content

Oh hunni you are going to have an amazing day!!! remember that you will be married and reading everyones reports they say dont sweat that stuff - it doesnt matter in the end. i know you cant see that now because you are angry and upset but i honestly beleive you will not even notice them!!

im only a week behind you - coming around so quick!!! Smiley smile

• mandij87
    Beginner August 2012
    mandij87 ·
    • Hide content

It's just been a rubbish week! My fiancé thinks I'm turning bridezilla on him!

Your local to me as well, I'm in burnham on crouch xx

• essex_charlene
    Beginner September 2012
    essex_charlene ·
    • Hide content

Ahhh hun i feel your pain, ive just posted a topic about my horrendous weekend, had to call police on neighbour Smiley sad horrible and my fiance away on his stag do Smiley sad

ahhh not too far at all!!!

you got much left to do?

xx

• Aurora Borealis
    Beginner June 2013
    Aurora Borealis ·
    • Hide content

I'm concerned by the professionalism of your venue. There should always be a contract in place. And as for the suggestion of changing the date with 8 weeks to go, that's rather ridiculous. I would ask to speak to a manager and demand to know what they are going to do to keep the two weddings separate - perhaps you can each have an allocated time in the gardens or an allocated section? They can't expect the two weddings to just mingle together.

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This.

• Blonde Viki
    Beginner July 2012
    Blonde Viki ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

All of this and also, check their website - if they state or imply exclusive use, then you still have implied terms with them. The previous indication that you could upgrade your room adds to the impression they were not intending to have 2 weddings at once. They have created the expectation of exclusive use and that is the basis on which you chose them. Clearly with 8 weeks to go you cannot change your date, you have incurred stationery costs and informed all your guests who will have made travel/transport/work arrangements. Unless they are willing to foot the bill of a date transfer that is not an acceptable solution. They are trying to fob you off by saying that is an option and as such it's your 'choice' to go ahead as planned.

They need to be making some sort of goodwill gesture to fix this. You need to get answers to the questions Aurora flagged above. You need to identify specifically something you would consider rectifies this for you (free drinks? specific discount? go to them with a precise figure it's easier for them to consider). Be polite but firm. Tell them what you expect from them. If they are part of a chain, explain that if a resolution cannot be found with them, you will approach head office.

Good luck - keep us informed!

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content

Good advice from BV.

Feel free to link to your venue's website and we can give our advice.

• Sparkles82
    Beginner April 2013
    Sparkles82 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Echo'd.

My venue told us straight that it wasnt exclusive, however, the choice of room is "first come, first served" and if someone else books the same day, the first wedding booked takes priority on time, arrival, food, service etc. Not that the 2nd wedding gets shoddy service or anything, but if for example, we said we wanted the ceremony at 2, photos straight after bit the meal to be served at 6, we would get our choices first.

• O
    Beginner January 2011
    onetwothree ·
    • Hide content

Our venue can hold four weddings at a push.... But they all have separate bars and guests won't have to mix. That's a really strange thing to suggest. They can't expect the two to mingle...surely no sensible venue could suggest that? Must be stressful.....they should have some form of contract or maybe t&cs on their website? They'll probably use the same terms every time, so demand a copy now to check what they say. Good luck.

• ESW
    Beginner September 2012
    ESW ·
    • Hide content

I know that I am not with everyone else on this and I understand that you may feel upset/angry. But if you did not pay for exclusive use/it is not an exclusive use venue/and you have no contractual agreement to say that this was agreed, to be honest I don't think you have a leg to stand on.

I understand this is your special day and so is mine my special day but there are two wedding on my day, ok I give it we have seperate bars and are opposit ends of the hotel, but if you haven't agreed this in writting or via email I don't think you will get anywhere.

I would talk to your co-ordinator about making sure that if you are getting married outside that the other wedding guest will respect your privicy.

I would just enjoy your day, when you read most of the reports on here things happen or don't in some cases but no one notices and the brides end up not being bothered!

Good luck x

• ESW
    Beginner September 2012
    ESW ·
    • Hide content

If it is exclusive - give them all you've got - it is there error and whoever booked first shoulD be changing there date! Just hope you booked first!

• Aurora Borealis
    Beginner June 2013
    Aurora Borealis ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I really think this makes all the difference though. If the timings are different, or the guests are going to be in different parts of the building then it's not so much of an issue. But if the guests are going to be in the same bar at the same time (meaning service will take twice as long, as well as the fact that guests will be mingling with the guests of another wedding), and sharing the same gardens for photos, etc. it could be very problematic. I don't think that's reasonable of the venue at all.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics