Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

spacecadet_99
Beginner

Having to wee in the night - any ideas how to stop this?!

spacecadet_99, 28 July, 2009 at 09:25 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 8

Over the last couple of years I've gone through phases where I have to get up in the night for a wee. It usually would last a few weeks/couple of months and then go away again. I appear to be in a phase now and it seems to be longer than usual although I can't really remember when I started - but at least a couple of months ago. Trying not to drink in the evening doesn't really work as I'm thirsty when I wake up so usually have a drink at the same time - I do get quite thirsty generally but would probably only have 2 cups of tea in the evening so not loads of liquid. I know that it could be a warning sign of diabetes but I don't have any other symptoms (eg weight loss - I wish) or any obvious risk factors so I don't think that's it, especially as it's something that has come and go over the last few years. Just wondered if anyone has any tips to stop it or ideas why it might be happening? It's not a massive problem as it's usually only once but it's a bit annoying to say the least.

8 replies

Latest activity by anjumanji, 28 July, 2009 at 12:42
  • D
    Beginner August 2003
    Dot. ·
    • Hide content

I'd knock the tea on the head. I can't drink tea or coffee from about 5pm onwards or I'm up in the night for a week, even if I wee just before I go to bed.

• H
    Beginner
    Headless Lois ·
    • Hide content

I don't drink tea or coffee at all of an evening, I think sometimes your body just gets into a routine. Because I'm a light sleeper, if I wake up, I tend to go to the loo at some point in the night. My body is sort of used to this so requires it now I think.

L
    xx

• spacecadet_99
    Beginner
    spacecadet_99 ·
    • Hide content

Right, I'll try knocking the tea on the head then. It's only the first thing in the morning one that I *need* to wake me up. I don't drink it through the day at work, it's just an evening habit because I'm terrible at drinking water at home. Will give that a go for a few days and see how I go.

HL - I know what you mean about habit but [TMI] it's not a little trickle when I go, it's loads [/TMI]. I've got really paranoid about making sure I go last thing before I go to bed too.

• ooh la la
    Beginner August 2013
    ooh la la ·
    • Hide content

Umm...I get up for a wee in the night. In fact most nights it will be twice, then in the morning, the need for a wee will wake me up and I'll have to go.

I suppose that I have got into a habit, because somehow I'll always wake up at the same time, (+-20 mins!)

ETA - I never drink tea or coffee and don't really drink water after 8:00 (if I do, I'll sip, not glug!)

Beginner January 2007
    *Pipster* ·
    • Hide content

I very rarely sleep through the night without waking up to pee at least once or twice (although I'm pregnant at the mo, so it's particularly bad!). I've always been like that, from childhood. And I don't drink an abnormal amount, or caffeine in the evenings. I drink no more than 1 cup of tea a day, and that's first thing in the morning, and even that's not every day.

I've always been like that, so I'd never really thought about it! I'm not the best sleeper though - I can't nap in the day, even for 5 mins, even if I want/need to, or I can kiss goodbye to being able to get to sleep that night, and I can't remember the last time I went to sleep and didn't wake up til it was time to get up in the morning!

• Mrs Geriatric
    Beginner September 2007
    Mrs Geriatric ·
    • Hide content

I'm always up for a wee in the night but I do drink a lot of liquid generally so am used to it, but I do find that I am worse if I have a lot of vegetables for dinner e.g stir fry or something tomato based as I think they make you wee as well. So perhaps it's something you're eating? You really do need to drink something in the evening, it surely can't be good for you not to drink anything after 6pm? At any one time in the evening I could have a glass of water, a cup of tea and a glass of wine on the go!

• Smint
    Beginner June 2007
    Smint ·
    • Hide content

I have to get up in the night when I never used to . . . I thought it was either an age thing, or I sleep less well so am more aware of my bladder filling

Still, at least we do all wake up to pee!

• WifeyLind
    Beginner April 2006
    WifeyLind ·
    • Hide content

Try cutting out the tea and see what happens. Caffine is a diuretic so will naturally make you wee more. Perhaps if you want to continue drinking tea of an evening, try drinking decaff instead.

• anjumanji
    anjumanji ·
    • Hide content

I don't drink tea in the evenings but I do wee a lot at night. I wee once when I go up to brush my teeth, I always have a drink of water after this but it's not a lot, just a few glugs from the bottle I keep by the bed. Then once I'm in bed I'll have another wee before sleep. If I'm disturbed during the night (I have a young child) I will need to wee everytime I get up, sometimes up to four times. Once I'm up in the morning I'll need to go again.

The strange this is that if I'm not disturbed I will sleep all the way through and not go until the morning. I think it's an awareness thing, if I wake up I think I should go to the loo otherwise that sensation in my bladder will stop me from dropping off again. It's not something that worries me though as I'm pretty much used to it.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics