Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Ohwhatatuesday
Beginner May 2014

Hay fever

Ohwhatatuesday, 15 of April of 2014 at 21:29 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 16

Sorry for the boring and slightly stupid post but how do you tell a cold and hay fever apart and can you suddenly get hay fever if you've never suffered before?

I had a cold last week (pretty sure it was a cold - sore throat, bit of a cough and a runny nose) but it seemed to start getting better, but then on Sunday I started to get a very runny nose again so I thought it was back.

Three days later and it's still going strong but it seems to come and go at certain times and is mainly just a runny nose/sneezing and my eyes are streaming so that I look like I'm crying. It seems to get worse when I've been outside but oddly it's also really bad in the car? I wrote it off as a cold until someone mentioned to me today that it could be hay fever. Having a look at articles it does say about the pollen count being high/more sufferers but as I've never had it before, I'm not really sure what it's like,

I'm thinking of just trying an antihistamine and seeing if this makes it better. Does it sound like it could be hay fever and if so, does anyone have any good recommendations for what I can take?

16 replies

Latest activity by Ohwhatatuesday, 17 of April of 2014 at 19:46
  • *Funky*
    Beginner January 2001
    *Funky* ·
    • Hide content

Yea I randomly developed hayfever when I was about 17.

My symptoms change throughout the season (due to the change in pollen types throughout the year I guess)

I always start with sore throat and what feels like a head cold but as summer progresses I get watery/itchy eyes and runny nose.

Antihistamines -I would recommend any with loratadine as the active ingredient as its non drowsy. Buy supermarket/boots own brand as they are much cheaper than Claritin etc

Also sleeping with the bedroom window closed and washing your hair before bed helps (pollen sticks to your hair)

• M
    mam of the bride ·
    • Hide content

Hi, it does sound like hay fever. I never had hay fever until I was 40years old. It just started one day right out the blue. Most antihistamine tablets work for me (even the cheap ones from Poundland) I find wearing sunglasses help, they keep the pollen from going in your eyes. Good luck, hope this had helped a little x

• AuntieBJ
    Beginner September 2014
    AuntieBJ ·
    • Hide content

Yep. I first got hay fever when I was in my 30s - mine isn't too bad and I only get it at the end of the summer but I'd never once had it as a child. I would suggest trying the antihistamines suggested and see if they work - if they don't, you know you have a cold and can deal with it x

• Ohwhatatuesday
    Beginner May 2014
    Ohwhatatuesday ·
    • Hide content

Cheers all, I'll try an antihistamine tomorrow and see if it helps. I don't get why it would be worse in the car though as it's enclosed? I'll have a shower before going to bed too, whatever it is it's making my contact lenses feel very gritty!

• AuntieBJ
    Beginner September 2014
    AuntieBJ ·
    • Hide content

Have you had the air conditioning on? Or even just the vents running? Could be pollen coming in that way - but that does suggest it is hay fever as a cold wouldn't get worse in the car x

• Ohwhatatuesday
    Beginner May 2014
    Ohwhatatuesday ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I didn't think about the vents! What an idiot! Yes vents were on (no a/c in my car) I was thinking maybe it was the time e/g, day/night but I guess the antihistamine will tell me either way!

• MrsToffee
    Expert April 2015
    MrsToffee ·
    • Hide content

I could always tell the differenc because my nose always felt sticky rather than runny or bunged up when I had hayfever, I also swear I can 'taste' pollen but other people look at me like I'm a bit odd when I say that!

• Ohwhatatuesday
    Beginner May 2014
    Ohwhatatuesday ·
    • Hide content

Oops just spotted the pollen is evil thread, didn't see that before. That's starting to make me think even more that it's hay fever. Gah! I hope it's just a cold!

• Erin8
    Beginner June 2014
    Erin8 ·
    • Hide content

The difference between hayfever and a cold is quite subtle if you are not used to having hayfever. For me the main difference is my eyes water / are itchy and my nose is runnier rather than snotty with hayfever! If you think it is hayfever then l would start taking antihistaimines and consistenlty take them, not just on the days you feel worse.

• InkedDoll
    VIP January 2015
    InkedDoll ·
    • Hide content

For me hayfever makes my nose feel itchy, like I'm permanently about to sneeze, and my eyes itch too. A cold is more bunged up and snotty. I'd say just start trying antihistamines and see what works - there are a few different ingredients you can try. And pray you don't end up with Piriton, they're the only ones that work for me now and they take a lot of getting used to! Good luck finding something that helps -)

• Sparkly Bear
    Beginner October 2015
    Sparkly Bear ·
    • Hide content

I developed Hayfever 2 years ago (I was 26) and last year, and it hit me really really badly. I usually wear contact lenses and was unable to wear them for most of the summer due to the high pollen count! I usually find benedryl works best for me, although i haven't found anything that completely makes it vanish! I'm still on the hunt for a miracle cure!

• Ohwhatatuesday
    Beginner May 2014
    Ohwhatatuesday ·
    • Hide content

Cheers everyone, I got some boots own one a day tablets this morning and it seems to have eased a bit this afternoon,my eyes are still itchy and watery but my nose has settled. Do I just keep taking them?

• Mrs Bass
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs Bass ·
    • Hide content

I didn't develop hay fever until i was 19. Have u had any itchiness? Throat, nose, eyes. I get that!

• Ohwhatatuesday
    Beginner May 2014
    Ohwhatatuesday ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Incredibly itchy eyes, they're driving me crazy, I thought it was cos they were streaming/cos of my contacts but I've had to wear my glasses today and they've still been really itchy.

• *Funky*
    Beginner January 2001
    *Funky* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

yea just keep taking them usually take a few days to settle down.

• mariannechuaphotography
    mariannechuaphotography ·
    • Hide content

I developed some similar symptoms last week, but sadly we think it's adult asthma Smiley sad yours sounds like hayfever I'd just take an anti histamine which isn't going to hurt you either way and then you'll know. I sometimes take antihistamine if I have stuff that needs swelling taking down in general because I think it's an anti inflammatory

• Ohwhatatuesday
    Beginner May 2014
    Ohwhatatuesday ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I'm sorry to hear this Marianne, I was diagnosed with asthma about 18months ago and I managed to get it under control relatively quickly, it's seems fairly normal now and carrying around an inhaler becomes second nature! I hope you get it under control quickly.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics