Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Hoddy
Beginner July 2014

Hay fever

Hoddy, 24 of June of 2014 at 05:02 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 11

Are any of you sufferers?

Mine is so bad this year I'm waking up regularly in the night, red sore eyes, blocked nose, itchy ears/eyes/throat etc. Have you got any remedies?

Tried tablets like piriton but nothing is helping. I don't want to risk looking and feeling like this on my wedding day!

11 replies

Latest activity by yorkshirekiwi, 25 of June of 2014 at 13:43
  • Helenia
    Beginner September 2011
    Helenia ·
    • Hide content

Loratadine, plus a steroid nasal spray (beclometasone or fluticasone) plus cromoglicate eye drops. All available OTC; use them all regularly, rather than just when your symptoms are worst, and you should start to see a difference.

If they don't work then your GP can prescribe stronger stuff.

• Erin8
    Beginner June 2014
    Erin8 ·
    • Hide content

I have been fine for months up until Saturday when l was really bad. Normally l have Benadryl but it doesn't seem to be working that well at the moment

• Mrs C
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs C ·
    • Hide content

I always used loratadine (never an expensive brand, just supermarket own) and take one a day. Then opticrom eye drops if my eyes get too itchy and a nasal spray. As I can't take anything this year I'm giving that new steroid/antihistamine free stuff a go. It's helping although not completely itch free. I've also got some haymax which helps stop the pollen getting in the first place. Dry sheets indoors and take plenty of showers.

• *J9*
    VIP March 2014
    *J9* ·
    • Hide content

I swear by the Benadryl tablets containing Acrivastine. Loritadine and Cetrizine Hydrochloride don't work for me. Unfortunately, as Benadryl are the only brand that do Acrivastine at the moment, they aren't cheap but you can have up to 3 per day (usually I'm ok on 1 or 2 per day). Of course different things work for different people so whether it'll work for you I can't say.

I also use Beconase nasal spray if I'm particularly bunged up. I can't use eye drops for hayfever as they're not suitable for contact lens wearers apparently. If anyone knows of any that are suitable I'd love to know!

• SillyWrong
    Beginner October 2014
    SillyWrong ·
    • Hide content

Tablets work fine for me, and I'm pretty terrible without them. Try different tablets, like others have said it's the ingredients you want to look out for.

• WickyWack
    Beginner July 2013
    WickyWack ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

My brother is on the stronger stuff from GP and it works for all of two hours and then he is back to a snotty red eyed mess! He's suffering really badly this year..he's so fed up!

• *Funky*
    Beginner January 2001
    *Funky* ·
    • Hide content

I'm suffering this year too loratadine (sp?) helps me a fair bit but you have to take it daily for it to work (not just when you feel the symptoms coming on)

if you suffer during the night try washing your hair before bed (pollen sticks to hair) and sleeping with the bedroom window closed (if you don't already)

• InkedDoll
    VIP January 2015
    InkedDoll ·
    • Hide content

I have allergies all year round, and I use Pirinase nasal spray every day, which keeps most of the symptoms at bay. I always carry Piriton tablets in case of a sudden flare up, but I don't need them often, which is good as they do make me drowsy.

• Hoddy
    Beginner July 2014
    Hoddy ·
    • Hide content

Thank you for all the advice everyone. I think having a convertible makes it worse for me as well!

Been up since 4.30 unable to sleep so just taken some Benadryl for the first time. The piriton I had before just wasn't doing anything for me and apparently this one is faster acting plus I can take it more than once a day.

• Helenia
    Beginner September 2011
    Helenia ·
    • Hide content

When it gets to the point that it's interfering with sleep, I often just get a wet cloth/flannel and put it across my eyes. It seems to cool everything down and of course stops any more pollen getting in, so it helps me relax and sleep.

• yorkshirekiwi
    Beginner August 2014
    yorkshirekiwi ·
    • Hide content

Tablet wise fexofenadine is the best I have ever tried, and I have tried a lot of remedies for all kinds of allergies, but always had dreadful hay fever in the spring/summer.

I always thought the honey thing was an urban myth, but as it turned out it worked for me.just make sure the honey is local and give in a couple of months to start working. Source honey from a hive as close to your home as possible, it neds to be local, not just any old honey to work. Eat some every day and most of your hayfever will be cured. The honey alows your body to ingest the pollen in a way your body can metsbolise it and build a tolerance to its presence, thats why you need local honey, you need to build immunity to the pollens directly in your area for it to work.

We now have a bee hive in our garden and for the last couple of years I eat a teaspoon of honey containing the pollen from our immediste surroundings daily. I haven't had hay fever for over 18 months. Even when we go away from home it's nowhere near as bad.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics