Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

StaceyLorraine
Beginner July 2014

Hayfever hell!

StaceyLorraine, 26 May, 2013 at 15:26 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 16

So that dreaded time of year has come again and its come with vengeance my hayfever has never been this bad! Can anyone suggest what i could take? Here is what i have already tried:

- Clarityn
- Benadryl
- Piriteze
- Pervalin
- Zirtek

None of them have actually helped much... Instead the cupboard now looks like the allergies section at boots!

16 replies

Latest activity by ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown, 28 May, 2013 at 13:43
  • alyj66
    VIP August 2014
    alyj66 ·
    • Hide content

I'm taking tesco's own non drowsy tablets, eye drops and nasal spray and still have itchy, runny eyes (and ears!) Nothing is touching the hayfever for long this year but the drops and spray may help you?

• *Funky*
    Beginner January 2001
    *Funky* ·
    • Hide content

All the medication you have mentioned are brand names not the active ingredients so you may have just been 'trying' the same thing under a different brand name.

Loratadine (that's the name of the active ingredients) works well for me and is non drowsy.

• StaceyLorraine
    Beginner July 2014
    StaceyLorraine ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I've just pulled the boxes out and had a look at the ingredients the ones I've been on today have Loratadine in my eyes have not been running today but everything else is full steam ahead x

• StaceyLorraine
    Beginner July 2014
    StaceyLorraine ·
    • Hide content

I think I may have to book an appointment on Tuesday as I can't go all summer like this.

• *Funky*
    Beginner January 2001
    *Funky* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

stick with it for a few days and should clear everything up. Also sleeping with your windows closed and washing your hair before bed should help too.

• *gnashers*
    Beginner October 2013
    *gnashers* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Funky makes a good point here...I don't get 'normal' hay fever, but the pollen irritates my psoriasis on my scalp so I have to wash my hair more regularly.

Just a bit of a tip, if you find any of the the active ingredients do start to work, I highly recommend ordering the non-branded version from Chemist Direct. We get their own Loratadine tablets for a fraction of the price of Boots etc!

• *Funky*
    Beginner January 2001
    *Funky* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Most definitely this, boots basics Loratadine is about 99p compared to Claritin which is usually around £4ish (and its exactly the same)

• C
    Beginner April 2014
    ClaireKB ·
    • Hide content

Definitely worth seeing the docs about, they prescribed me a nasal spray that's working wonders (I actually went in with a cough, thinking I was dying - turns out it was just bad hayfever ? ).

• F&GBride
    Beginner May 2014
    F&GBride ·
    • Hide content

I had really bad hayfever as a teenager and it was helped a bit when my mum dried my bedding inside so it couldn't pick up any pollen on the washing line.

• Erin8
    Beginner June 2014
    Erin8 ·
    • Hide content

Have you tried a nasal spray? It doesnt work that well for me but my Mum's swear by using a nasal spray and eye drops. She said the secret is to use them everyday whether you have symptoms or not

• *Mini*
    Beginner January 2012
    *Mini* ·
    • Hide content

There are two active ingredients to hayfever tabs normally- lotorodene and cirtazine (disclaimer I know bugger all about medicines so a dr type may correct me) I have to take lotorodene ones as the others don't work.

dont bother with the brands and just buy the basic tablets, the ingredients are exactly the same. I have to rake tables everyday whether I have the symptoms or not to keep me covered. I also was told to change my pillowcase everyday, sleep with the windows shut and not dry clothes outside.

hayfever is crap. You have my sympathy.

• Helenia
    Beginner September 2011
    Helenia ·
    • Hide content

I use loratadine throughout the season, and add beclometasone nasal spray when it gets really bad, plus eyedrops if my eyes are playing up. You have to use that regularly though, not just the odd spray every so often when you feel you need it.

Other things that I find helpful are avoiding make-up, especially eye make-up, and perfume, wearing close-fitting sunglasses if I have to be out amongst lots of pollen, and washing my face whenever I come in from outside.

• StaceyLorraine
    Beginner July 2014
    StaceyLorraine ·
    • Hide content

Thank you for all your replies... I went into work today and the nurse took one look at me took my temperature and sent me home, he also told me to go to the hospital and see the out of hours doctor so i did and it turns out along with my hayfever I have a chest infection so I now have a course of amoxicillin. So that's me off work as i work in a dementia and palliative care nursing home.

• BlossomJ
    Beginner July 2014
    BlossomJ ·
    • Hide content

If you went drs they would only prescribe you something that you can buy OTC anyway usually. Beconase and Pirinase are the brand versions of the two main nasal sprays and they are supposed to be good for those where the tablets don't really help, only use one at a time though - the Pirinase one is supposedly longer lasting. Sodium cromoglicate eye drops are usually given as well - branded OTC version of this is Opticrom. If loratidine work, definitely just go for the cheap supermarket version as its exactly the same - can get 30 for £2 at sainsburys OTC!!! Piriton (chlorphenamine maleate) is meant to be quite good as its taken every so many hours, however, it makes most people drowsy so probably not a good option if you have to work or drive. I work in a pharmacy, so been having a lot of people in with the same questions atm ? always worth asking if there is a cheaper version as some pharmacies do their own make - I know Boots do a good variety of their own branded medication.

Sorry to hear you have a chest infection as well though, you must be feeling rough! Hope the antibiotics kick in soon ?

• Holey
    Beginner July 2011
    Holey ·
    • Hide content

Not a hayfever sufferer myself but I thought you had to take them even when you were ok? I thought just taking them for a day here and there would have little effect.

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Isn't it supposed to coat the inside of your nose so that the allergens can't make contact?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics