Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

R
Beginner August 2016

Headpieces?! Please advise xxx

Rdbridal, 20 of August of 2015 at 20:17 Posted on Planning 0 13

Hi there.

I was just wondering if any brides are wearing headpiece like tiaras or combs in their hair?

I undecided and would appreciate some help. What sort of style? How much should I spend? Where is the best place to buy them?

Comments would be greatly welcomed as I am quite confused

Becky xxx

13 replies

Latest activity by lavenderblue , 23 of August of 2015 at 08:55
  • MadamRed
    Beginner April 2017
    MadamRed ·
    • Hide content

I'm thinking of a comb this time around, but I had a tiara the first time.

What style depends largely on your dress and the effect you want. Prices can vary widely depending on what you go for and where from. You can pick up tiaras and combs from Claires Accessories, or you can get a bespoke headpiece made with genuine precious stones for hundreds of pounds. It's not the sort of thing I personally would buy without trying on, but there's loads of websites if you want to buy online. Otherwise, most (if not all) bridal shops stock them and you can also buy them at wedding fairs (sometimes with a discount for buying on the day)

• M
    Beginner May 2016
    MrsLBtoB ·
    • Hide content

Hi Becky - I'm not sure where you live but the National Wedding show is on in London, Manchester & Birmingham at the end of Sept/October and will no doubt have lots of companies with stands who do headpieces, accessories etc and will probably also offer show deals/money off x

• CornishBride89
    Beginner October 2015
    CornishBride89 ·
    • Hide content

I'm having a tiara! I think it was about £125 from the same wedding shop I got my dress from. It's something lovely to keep forever if you don't keep the dress! :-)

• jamborina
    Dedicated August 2016
    jamborina ·
    • Hide content

I want a sort of hair vine/tiara type, I really like the style of Lady Mary from Downton Abbey's but smaller. Jenny Packham has an amazing one which is quite expensive but I've just made a really good saving on my dress so I might just go for it, it's the best one I've seen.

You can go anywhere from like £30 to well over £400, I think you just need to get in and try some on, especially if the shop your dress is from has a selection then you can narrow down the styles that go with your dress.

• S
    Beginner August 2016
    Sondy ·
    • Hide content

I'm going to go for a hair comb - there are some pretty ones at debenhams.

• S
    Beginner June 2016
    Steepdene ·
    • Hide content

I can't decide either, I think I'm going to have my hair in a half updo but I'm not sure. I bought a headband and a small tiara from Claire's but it's not really shiny enough, I need more bling to match my dress I think. I'm currently stalking ebay and amazon.

• Katie V
    Katie V ·
    • Hide content

Hello

Hope you don't mind me pitching in....I'm a HIB & make all sorts of tiaras/combs/headbands/vines. They're all hand made by me & prices start at £15. Here's the link on my website which shows a few designs

A bird cage veil, with a crystal & pearl side decoration on the band.

And if you see something on my site that's on a band...you can have it put on a comb...or visa versa.

Anyway....my advice would be to go with something you will be comfortable in. And ask advice for what will suit your face shape & hair style, your hair dresser will give great advice on this too. I always think if you know what you want to do with your hair on your big day first, that will be really helpful too.

Thanks

xx

• E
    Beginner August 2015
    Emm1983 ·
    • Hide content

I'm having a side tiara as a normal tiara just felt a bit too princessy for me (although they look stunning on other women).
    I found them too expensive in bridal shops and got mine from debenhams for £50. There's some beautiful ones on ETSY. x

• R
    Beginner December 2015
    RomanticEmeralds ·
    • Hide content

I'm having a hair band made by a lady who works in the local bridal shop where I got my dress and BM dresses. It is a double strand with small green 'jewels' to go with the colour scheme. My adult BM is having the same but a single strand.

• S
    Beginner December 2015
    SunnyPinkConfetti310 ·
    • Hide content

I wasn't gonna have anything as I've got a pretty snazzy veil, but when I went to try my dress on after it arrived, the girls in there were trying various things on me. One was a tiara which looked great and finished off the whole outfit, it was also really sparkly, so I had to have it. It was £125 but I persuaded them to discount it to £100.

• B
    Beginner October 2015
    BridgetJonesNoLonger ·
    • Hide content

I'm having a cathedral length veil and I've attached a lovely comb with pearls from the bridal section of Phase 8 to it. I think it was around £30 and it's lovely. The veil is over 40 years old and the years haven't been kind to the original comb.

When I take the veil off in the evening I have a delicate pearl clip from Not on the High Street. Again it's very simple but that's good for me as my dress is far from that.

Enjoy your search.

Smiley smile

• R
    Beginner August 2016
    Rdbridal ·
    • Hide content

Oh my goodness you guys are amazing! So much good advice. Lovely to hear what other brides are doing. I think I will go with a tiara or comb. I've started looking online and there are some nice pieces quite expensive some of them though. Buying online will be ok won't it? The sites seem reputable. Xxx

• MadamRed
    Beginner April 2017
    MadamRed ·
    • Hide content

Quite a lot of companies sell online these days, so I wouldn't have thought you'd have any trouble as long as you do your research. The only thing I would say about buying online is that you won't be able to try it on before buying, so look for sites that have good return policies in case you don't like it once it arrives.

• L
    Beginner August 2016
    lavenderblue ·
    • Hide content

My fiancé says he'd like me to have a flower in my hair but I'm wearing my hair down so I'm wondering if some kind of headpiece with a fake flower attached at the side might be the easiest way to make sure it stays in.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics