Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Becca
Dedicated October 2006

Healthcare workers - do you stay off for full 48hrs after D+V?

Becca, 3 of August of 2009 at 20:15 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 4

If your colleagues really need you back at work, do you still wait out the full 48hrs after the last D or V before returning to work?

4 replies

Latest activity by Becca, 5 of August of 2009 at 20:49
  • fizzypop
    Beginner July 2011
    fizzypop ·
    • Hide content

Yes, definitely. It's 72 hours where I work and it's not worth risking the patients' health coming back while you still have symptoms. Although, I admit I can see why some people feel they should come in, as it can be so short staffed sometimes, the pressure is enormous.

• KJX
    Beginner August 2005
    KJX ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I've sent people home who've come back too early (social care settings rather than healthcare - but the same policy). I can think of occasions where I've felt a total cow for doing this as they were agency workers and wouldn't get paid for the first three days of sick and then stat pay only.

• Becca
    Dedicated October 2006
    Becca ·
    • Hide content

I know I should really, just feel like a fraud staying at home, esp since our usual contingent of 5 Doctors will be down to 2 without me (as we have other sickness/absence in the team), so I'm not sure which is a worse risk to patient safety on Weds, esp given I will be 36hrs post last D+V by the start of my shift....

• Melawen
    Beginner January 2007
    Melawen ·
    • Hide content

Sorry but regardless of how many hours post your last D/V or how many Drs are out - if you've been ill with D&V I wouldn't want to see you until you were 48hrs clear! It's not fair on you let alone your patients. Infection control rules! I know it's hard especially when you feel so much better in yourself but you know how easily these things transfer.

• Becca
    Dedicated October 2006
    Becca ·
    • Hide content

Thanks all. I would normally jump at the chance of a couple more days at home, but the staffing situation was dire - normally 2 Drs on admissions, and 1 on each of 4 other wards - today there was 1 doctor to cover all 6 areas, when I was more than 40 hrs post last symptoms. Just wonder where the magic figure of 48hrs comes from, and whether it is over or under-cautious etc.

I am sure they survived, presumably the Drs above had to act down, including the consultants, will hear the horror stories (or not) tomorrow when I am back in.

On a more positive note, H, LO and I had a lovely morning in the sunshine on the beach together, so it was a lovely day off for me!!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics