Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Sunset21
Beginner

healthy eaters: breakfast/elevenses?

Sunset21, 3 June, 2009 at 10:59 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 22

I'm back on my healthy eating plan, I want to lose weight and get more exercise. I'm aiming for 1lb a week. I have, in the past had a slimfast shake on the days I work for my breakfast, purely because I don't have to think about it, I can make it and take it with me and I know how many calories it holds. This week i've decided to eat proper food but i'm having cereal and by 10.30am my tummy is rumbling. Porridge is always a good breakfast but it's a bit warm for that. What do you eat that's low in calories but filling enough to keep you going until lunchtime or do you eat something else at about 11 and if so what?

22 replies

Latest activity by Consuela Banana Hammock, 3 June, 2009 at 17:02
  • Hepburn
    Beginner August 2008
    Hepburn ·
    • Hide content

I have a banana for brekkie at about 9am and then a couple of rice cakes at 11am and this keeps me going till I have lunch at 12.30pm.

I've never been one to have a big brekkie though so whilst it probably doesn't seem like much it does keep me going ?

• chids
    Beginner
    chids ·
    • Hide content

I have started having shreddied wheat bitesize for my breakfast which keeps me going until lunch. Sometimes if i have time i have a couple of rounds of wholemeal toast with a few beans or scrambled egg on. I'm a firm believer of having breakfast. I rarely have anything before my lunch which is about 1pm unless i'm due on and then i can eat for england.

• Jellicle
    Beginner January 2008
    Jellicle ·
    • Hide content

<quickly shuffles croissant off desk>

When I am trying to eat healthily, I am a big believer in a bit of protein filling you up till lunch - a boiled egg, or some marmite on toast. Or peanut butter, but that's not low calorie!

• shoegal01
    Beginner October 2010
    shoegal01 ·
    • Hide content

I have a bowl of bran flakes for lunch and then fruit at about 11 and then my lunch

bran flakes are hte only cereal i find filling

• Chicken
    Beginner October 2003
    Chicken ·
    • Hide content

I make up smoothies - banana, frozen berries, natural yoghurt, honey, skimmed milk and porridge oats on the odd occasion I have breakfast. I usually grab a latte when I get to work though and eat nothing until 12.30ish.

• Sunset21
    Beginner
    Sunset21 ·
    • Hide content

I might have a go at a smoothie tomorrow morning. I'd better make a list. It could be the type of cereal, I had fruit and fibre on Monday and wasn't so bad but I had cheerios yesterday.

• P
    poochanna ·
    • Hide content

I guess it depends on the type of diet you are doing. I love the all natural cereal bars but as most contain nuts they are high in fat but I see all that as good fat.

I must admit I am still forcing myself to eat porridge as it's the only thing that keeps me full. Also as I need ti keep wheat and dairy free that's about it on the cereal front. I know what you mean though, I always need a snack hence the oat bar with a cup of tea. This place is great for food ideas, it has everything wholesome you could ever wish for! www.goodnessdirect.co.uk

Would you consider Miso Soup? My H makes me eat this at weekends and I have to say (I would never admit this to him) but it really fills me up and kick starts the day. Just made up with loads of veg and miso added at the end.

• Sunset21
    Beginner
    Sunset21 ·
    • Hide content

Well you don't need sugar on it Jess ?

I love cereal and yoghurt, do you sweeten it with anything?

• I love shoes
    Beginner July 2008
    I love shoes ·
    • Hide content

I posted about this a few weeks ago..

Cheerios (I now know) are one of the worst you can have - full of sugar

I now have muesli for breakfast and can normally last till lunchtime, with the occasional snack of nuts mid morning

weekends Ill often have scrambled egg, mushrooms and beans with toast which lasts me till about 1 ish

• Carrie74
    Beginner June 2007
    Carrie74 ·
    • Hide content

My foolproof, won't be hungry til lunch, is no added sugar or salt muesli (usually with a banana or berries on top, and often with extra dried fruits and nuts). I often make myself a banana and pineapple smoothie with milk, ice and a dollop of honey.

I tend to try to eat loads in the morning so I can get through to lunch without being distracted by eating if that makes sense.

• fox-in-socks
    Beginner May 2006
    fox-in-socks ·
    • Hide content

Most commercial cereals are rammed full of sugar so you will feel hungry again quickly.

i make a HM muesli - oats, nuts (any sort, chopped), seeds, raisins (or other dried fruit, chopped if it's big stuff likes apricots), cinnamon. Make loads up at once, then before bed pour portion into bowl, add milk (i use oat or almond usually, but whatever kind you want works fine) then leave in fridge overnight.

serve with dollop of yoghurt (i use lowfat) plus fruit (today was chopped apple and raspberries) plus sometimes a squeeze of runny honey.

it's the nicest summer breakfast ever, imo, and easily keeps me full till lunchtime. i sometimes do smoothies if i can be bothered, but it takes more time and i hate cleaning the blender.

• Iris
    Beginner
    Iris ·
    • Hide content

I have a cinnamon and raisin bagel for breakfast and then fruit mid morning. Or I have granola (Lizi's- it's lovely) with strawberries for breakfast and then fruit mid morning.

• Sunset21
    Beginner
    Sunset21 ·
    • Hide content

Fox-in-socks, i've seen that mentioned before. I'll pop into Julian Graves at lunchtime and see what's on offer.

• MD
    Beginner
    MD ·
    • Hide content

I eat shredded wheat or low-sugar muesli with extra fruit (strawberries, blueberries etc) on top.

Then mid-morning, I have a banana and a bit later an apple.

• Sare
    Beginner September 2002
    Sare ·
    • Hide content

I actually read the label on a jar of peanut butter the other day, and found it has less fat and calories than standard butter/spreadsbut much more protein. I find a couple of slices of wholemeal toast with peanut butter keeps me full for a long time.

• KB3
    Beginner
    KB3 ·
    • Hide content

I really wish I could eat cereal or museli but I can't, I get the most painful heartburn / indigestion and this was even pre pregnancy. I tried a mixture of soy milk, rice milk, yoghurts, even water but it must be the oats that cause the problem.

• whirlwind666
    Beginner November 2009
    whirlwind666 ·
    • Hide content

I have 1oz of muesli soaked in yogurt overnight, with extra fruit for lunch, lots of tea and wtaer and maybe some fruit or a bag of Monster Munch at 11am (ish). In winter I have porridge with extra fruit!

• policefox lyn
    Beginner November 2003
    policefox lyn ·
    • Hide content

Neither I nor anyone else in my family finds porridge filling at all- very weird as it's toted as being this wonderful slow release food.

Although I have issues with wheat I tend to have weetabix for breakfast on a working day as it does keep me going, I just have to be watchful of not eating wheat too much more through the day.

Another breakfast I like is to have an oatibix (or 2) crumbled up with a banana, honey and natural yoghurt. I usually reserve that one for when I'm at home on my own and I can really enjoy it.

On non work days when I'm with my toddler, I will be guided by her and we'll choose from toast, cornflakes, rice krispies or cheerios. Cheerios fill me up for about a nano second but if we're at home it's not such an issue as I'll do a small snack mid mroning anyway.

• Zooropa
    Super October 2007
    Zooropa ·
    • Hide content

Since starting my new diet I don't really have breakfast as such but tend to graze all through the morning. I'll have some snack type cheese (this morning it was babybel lights) and then eat fruit & yoghurt as I feel like it - today I've had 2 bananas, 2 peaches and 2 mullerlight yoghurts (although I usally have slightly more but I've got a bad cold atm and it's really affected my appetite).

• Mrs Winkle
    Beginner May 2007
    Mrs Winkle ·
    • Hide content

At work I have weetabix, or yoghurt with banana chopped up in it. At weekends, a poached egg, baked beans and some soda bread usually does the trick.

(Today though I am starving! I only had 1,100 calories yesterday and did a pretty intense exercise session, and I cycled to work this morning so maybe that's why. It's most annoying.)

• Champagne
    Beginner June 2007
    Champagne ·
    • Hide content

I too find that only porridge with dried fruit added fills me up til lunch. I also eat fruit & fibre, branflakes with sultanas, special K and have recently re-tried Kelloggs variety packs which are so well portion controlled, despite being more sugary cereals, that they're the same calories.

I always snack on fruit around 10.30-11 - a kids banana, small pot blueberries or strawberries, apple.

• Consuela Banana Hammock
    Consuela Banana Hammock ·
    • Hide content

I've recently cut down on the amount of wheat that I have and with H being coeliac it makes sense to eat what he does rather than buy in special food. So my breakfast is now is usually a small bowl of Rice Krispies or two scrambled eggs with a slice of low-fat cheese. I don't tend to have snacks but if I really need one then I'll grab a small banana. And I do tend to have a cup of coffee to try and starve off hunger pangs rather than reach for food.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics