Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Rache
Beginner January 2004

Healthy low cal non fruit snacks

Rache, 13 of May of 2008 at 15:06 Posted on Beauty & Wellbeing 0 12

I'm not asking for much am I? ?

I'm allergic to almost all fresh fruit (berries, apples, pears, most nuts) except citrus fruits, and have a very sweet tooth. Dried fruit is ok but I can eat a tonne of it and I suspect it's pretty sugary and high GI. As a rule I don't eat processed food (so snack-a-jack type things are a no).

Any ideas? Sweet or savoury - even if it's obvious, I might not have thought of it so all suggestions welcome.

12 replies

Latest activity by Rache, 14 of May of 2008 at 10:55
  • SophieM
    SophieM ·
    • Hide content

Not all necessarily low-cal, but...

Pretzels

Oatcakes (an oatcake with peanut butter is a fab snack)

Cherry tomatoes

Carrot sticks

FruGrains (I think these ming but loml is addicted)

Miso soup

Popcorn

• Rache
    Beginner January 2004
    Rache ·
    • Hide content

Thanks Soph.

Am allergic to uncooked tomatoes (annoying, because I used to love them) but your other ideas are good. I'm just getting to the point of "enough is enough" about my weight, so hoping to leave the vicious cycle of comfort eating etc by having lots of healthy snacks in the house and plan for those "nibbly" moment. I appear to have lost 4lbs in a week just by stopping drinking, which is nice but alarming!

• barongreenback
    Beginner September 2004
    barongreenback ·
    • Hide content

Tesco whole foods strawberry & seed bars are about 100kcal and are low GI, despite the fact that they most definitely satisfy a sweet tooth. I tend to have one about an hour before I go out running to give me a bit of a boost.

• Rache
    Beginner January 2004
    Rache ·
    • Hide content

Thanks bgb. Although I'm allergic to fresh strawberries I can sometimes eat prepared/ dried berries depending on how they've been prepared, and luckily my allergy is just tingling/mild swelling rather than full blown anaphylaxis so I can try things out.

Cheers.

• slimzoe1
    Rockstar September 2022 Warwickshire
    slimzoe1 ·
    • Hide content

I have alpen light bars, meringues to satisfy my sweet tooth, i also have calypso mineral water ice pops, they are lush especially in this weather.

• Rache
    Beginner January 2004
    Rache ·
    • Hide content

Meringues. brilliant idea.

I find Alpen and most cereal bars a bit "fake" tasting - that's what I meant about processed food. If anyone has some recipes for healthy cereal bars that's be brilliant.

Thanks.

• M
    Mulberry ·
    • Hide content

I've made these before (from a ww recipe) and they're good. I know there seem to be loads of nuts in there, but you can easily substitute something else, I generally don't follow the ingredients to the letter but chuck in anything similar. They're 3 ww points per piece (I'm not sure how many calories etc that translates to in real life) but are filling and good occasionally for a change.

Makes 16 5 spray low-fat cooking spray 200 g porridge oats 1 pinch salt 100 g sultana(s) 100 g dates, raw without stone 50 g linseed 50 g pumpkin seeds, or sunflower seeds 50 g hazelnuts, roughly chopped 50 g almonds, roughly chopped 75 g muscavado sugar, light 1 small can evaporated milk, 170g 1 teaspoon vanilla essence 3 medium egg(s), beaten Preheat the oven to Gas Mark 4/180°C/fan oven 160°C. Spray a 20cm (8 inch) square baking tin with low fat cooking spray. Line with non-stick baking parchment. Mix together the porridge oats, sultanas, dates, linseeds, pumpkin or sunflower seeds, hazelnuts and almonds. Stir in the sugar. Beat the evaporated milk, vanilla extract and eggs together. Stir into the dry ingredients, then pour into the prepared tin and level the surface. Bake for 20-25 minutes until set and golden. Cool in the tin for 20 minutes, then remove and trim the edges. Cut into 16 fingers. Store in an airtight tin or wrap and freeze in a rigid freezer box.

• M
    Mulberry ·
    • Hide content

Hmm, that formatting didn't work out brilliantly...

• Rache
    Beginner January 2004
    Rache ·
    • Hide content

Oooh lovely, thank you. I can't eat hazelnuts but can eat almonds so I'll substitute.

• hazel
    VIP July 2007
    hazel ·
    • Hide content

Is popcorn an option? It's got hardly any calories if you pop it yourself but I find it deals with that munchy feeling pretty well, particularly if it's salty not sugary. It doesn't really fill you up either but I find that I sometimes just need that constant hand to mouth action ?

• dinx
    Beginner July 2007
    dinx ·
    • Hide content

I love stuff like sugarsnap peas and mangetout for munching on through the day. Or cucumber with houmous. Ummm, can't think of anything else for the minute...

• beckyboo
    beckyboo ·
    • Hide content

I have been trying the Hartleys low calorie Jelly pots. They have just 10 calories per 175g pot and just half a syn on SW. Of course you may not be able to eat themif you are allergic to most fruits but the one i have is Cranberry & Rasberry it contains just 1% of each juice made from concentrate.

• Rache
    Beginner January 2004
    Rache ·
    • Hide content

Another good idea. Thanks Hazel.

Beckyboo - I don't fancy jellies as they're usually full of saccharine but the sugar snaps are a good idea.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics