Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

B
Beginner November 2015

Heels on wedding day vs too tall

Bridally, 9 of June of 2014 at 12:06 Posted on Planning 0 20

Hi ladies

Newly engaged and just booked our wedding for November 2015. Starting to think about everything needed for the day and although it's a long time off yet this is something me and my fiance have always joked about!

I'm just under 5 ft 9 and my partner is 5 ft 11 and obviously he really doesn't want me to be taller than him on the big day and neither do I. But..... it's also important for me to feel amazing and I love wearing heels and they help you to walk/stand much better. Not sure what to do? Potential to only have a very tiny kitten heel but I often find they can be more difficult to walk in??

Anyone else been in similar situation?

20 replies

Latest activity by MrsShep, 14 of June of 2014 at 12:50
  • H
    Beginner July 2016
    HeavyMetalMaiden ·
    • Hide content

Hi!

I am 5'9" too, with h2b being just one inch taller than me! Annoyingly the shoes I love are at least 3 inches in height, so OH has agreed to having shoes with a little bit of a 'heel' on them. I suppose if he decides to have his mohawk that will give him some extra height haha!

• A
    Beginner July 2014
    Aykay ·
    • Hide content

Yep. I am 5ft 10 and h2b is about an inch taller than me. I love wearing heels and often tower over him so was surprised when he said he would feel really uncomfortable if I wore very high heels for our wedding. I have had some strops to myself as ifell in love with some 5inch heels. However I have now bought some gorgeous shoes with a small heel and also some flats to change into later. Just filter any web searches by heel hight so you dont get distracted by any skyscraper shoes x

• B
    Beginner November 2015
    Bridally ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for your replies!! Glad to know there are others out there feeling similar. ? I'm thinking the small heel for the main event and then change into flats for after! Think that's a good compromise! I just want to feel elegant walking down the aisle!

I told my dad I may wear flats and he said what? You can't wear flats on your wedding day? Haha I was a bit shocked as I thought my dad would just be like 'ah oh right whatever!'

• Helenia
    Beginner September 2011
    Helenia ·
    • Hide content

I have a similar height difference between my H and me. I wore 2.5 inch heels which were lovely - and as he was wearing formal shoes they had a bit of a heel on them anyway. I am crap at heels though, so was never going to be towering over him!

• Italybride14
    Beginner May 2014
    Italybride14 ·
    • Hide content

I

'

I'm 5'11! I wore Katie by Rachel Simpson. X

• Italybride14
    Beginner May 2014
    Italybride14 ·
    • Hide content

Here's my shoes

• P
    Beginner August 2014
    Purplemunchkin ·
    • Hide content

And herein lies one of the biggest advantages of a being a 'munchkin' - I have never had to worry about being taller than a partner.

My soon-to-be stepson, who is 14, loves the fact that he is 11 inches taller than me.

• B
    Beginner November 2015
    Bridally ·
    • Hide content

Italybride those are lovely. What were they like to walk in?

It's so funny that when I speak to H2B about it he just keeps telling me you can't see the shoes anyway so it doesn't matter.... men!!! Haha ?

• CrazyRatLady
    Expert September 2014
    CrazyRatLady ·
    • Hide content

I'm 5ft 6, OH is 5ft 8 so about 2 inch difference. I don't often wear heels but he hates me being taller than him so I am having boots with a 2 inch heel. Better for me anyway as I don't want to fall over, I am rubbish in heels!

• Italybride14
    Beginner May 2014
    Italybride14 ·
    • Hide content

My original plan was to swop into flats ASAP but they were so comfy I kept them until about 10ish! X

• H
    Beginner November 2014
    Hisgirl ·
    • Hide content

I'm about 1.5 inches taller than H2B and will be wearing flats. I don't want to tower over him and never keep heels on for more than a couple of hours anyway. Did try and convince to buy cuban heels with those height raiser things but he's not having it lol x

• C
    Beginner January 2001
    charlinc ·
    • Hide content

Not as much of an issue for us as Im taller than OH anyway! However I will be wearing small heels on the day.

I think you should wear heels and then if you really want change into something flat at a later point.

• ClaireD*
    Beginner May 2014
    ClaireD* ·
    • Hide content

As a recently married, can I just point out that it would be foolhardy to plan to wear heels for the ceremony and then immediately change into flats?

What length would you have your dress made to? The correct length for your 10 hour stint in flats, and therefore swinging a few inches above the ground as you make your first entrance down the aisle in heels?????

Not a problem obvs, if you have a tea length or shorter dress.

I spend about a year tracking down a pair of 3.1 inch flatforms to exactly match my 3.1 inch heels for when I wanted to change into comfy shoes.....

• B
    Beginner November 2015
    Bridally ·
    • Hide content

@Takkaeli thanks for your reply – its not so much what the shoes look like its how I feel in a pair of heels. I feel much more elegant/lady like and I always envisaged wearing heels on my wedding day! I always feel I carry myself better in heels!!

I am leaning more towards the smaller heel.

@ClaireDawnB oooh you raise a really good point – really hadn’t thought about that!!! It’s mainly the photos he would be bothered about so i suppose i could get the dress made the length for the heels, wear them for the main part of the day but just wear flats for the formal photos. Good compromise I think?

• ClaireD*
    Beginner May 2014
    ClaireD* ·
    • Hide content

Be really really careful walking around afterwards hun, in your flats. Particularly around any stairs. It's very easy to trip over a dress that is just 1 inch too long.

To all brides, please be careful walking down stairs, but also up stairs. Even with a dress the correct length AND lifting it up in front of me, I found myself having more difficulty walking up stairs than down actually.

I just have a slight worrying vision of all you ladies changing into flats, then having major falls (even on flat ground) tripping over dresses that are too long and tucking under your shoes in front of you. It is manageable to get around it, but you have to concentrate on what you're doing, and make sure you lift the dress a bit to walk anywhere!

• B
    Beginner November 2015
    Bridally ·
    • Hide content

Thanks hun! I clumsy at the best of times so I definitely know what you mean!!

Hmm even the smaller details can be hard work haha!!

• Erin8
    Beginner June 2014
    Erin8 ·
    • Hide content

I think you should go with what you want and makes you happy. A friend of mine was only slightly shorter than her husband and hates being nearly 6 foot so she wore a pair of ballet pumps.

• MrsDJG
    Beginner May 2015
    MrsDJG ·
    • Hide content

I am 5'9 & my H2B is about 5'11. I haven't found a dress or shoes yet, but I'm pretty sure I'll go for a very little kitten heel or similar, so that I feel as though I'm in heels & I'll carry myself better but I won't tower above him. xx

• MrsShep
    Beginner September 2014
    MrsShep ·
    • Hide content

We have the exact opposite problem, as we are about a foot different in height! haha. But I have problems with my knees, so I will only be wearing little heels. These are my shoes /

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics