Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

L
Beginner September 2014

HELP!! 150 guests with buffet instead of wedding breakfast

Lozza32, 25 of June of 2013 at 20:53 Posted on Planning 0 8

So, I recently got engaged and still in shock!!! my partner and I have always spoken about our "wedding" having been to so many weddings over the last few years, we decided we would like something slightly different. Now it's time to put those plans into action I realise there's a hell of a lot more to think about than I first thought!!

My initial idea was to have a late wedding (approx 4pm), followed straight away by the reception from 6pm with a substantial/hot buffet/hog roast instead of a formal sit down wedding breakfast. But having added up the numbers, I'm not sure whether this idea will result in complete chaos. We both would like a totally informal and relaxed atmosphere and whilst we would seat 150 guests we do not want table plans. We would want the tables and chairs set up around the dance floor and for them to stay for the duration of the evening so people can come and go as they please. Whilst I know it would depend on venue I wondered if anyone else had done something similar for the same amount of guests. I'm worried that there will be confusion over where to sit or queues for the buffet which is something I do not want!! Any advice you can give will be most appreciated.xx

8 replies

Latest activity by Icklefee, 26 of June of 2013 at 12:39
  • Missus S
    Missus S ·
    • Hide content

We did exactly that but had a table plan. It worked wonderfully. It would have been chaos without as you would get groups too big/small to fill tables

• ATB
    Beginner August 2014
    ATB ·
    • Hide content

I am planning similar, with around 100. I wasn't going to have a table plan but know it could result in chaos and I think people expect and look for one at weddings and are happy to be told where to sit. You could compromise on this though by having a table plan of what guests will sit at each table, but then don't put out place cards so they can sit where they like at that table.

With regards to food being served, you can either have large platters to share on tables as suggested or if a hot buffet is being served, then you can have three or four points where this is going to be served, with staff, so that is only 35ish people to be served at each buffet, and if staff are dishing it out then it actually will be quite quick and people aren't queueing up. I'm not sure exactly how many tables I'm having, but I'll have two serving points and a MC who will direct each table up so I'm hoping it will be quite quick with minimal queueing. Starters will be sharing platters on the tables.

• *Funky*
    Beginner January 2001
    *Funky* ·
    • Hide content

Those sort of numbers are quite typical for a hog roast, (you don't really get small hog roasts unless they roast a joint)

Some caters will set up serving stations at opposite ends a table which guests can approach from either side to speed up the service.

personally I think the only way not having a seating plan works is on long tables with benches (Hogwarts stylee) particularly if place settings are laid up.

• mariannechuaphotography
    mariannechuaphotography ·
    • Hide content

It's fine, Asian weddings regularly hold buffets for at least twice the number and mostly more and with no table plans. They've been doing it for decades!

• Knees
    VIP August 2012
    Knees ·
    • Hide content

I did it for 250! Our home blessing/party was a much more informal affair than our real wedding abroad. We only had seating for 150 inside the marquee, but plenty of outdoor space and picnic benches outside (still not enough for one seat per person).

We had a sign post type thing which showed where the bar, toilets etc were and one of the signs said "hog roast 7.30pm" so people had an idea of when the food was being served. The people who were standing outside could see when the food was ready and then others just followed their lead. People were going up in dribs and drabs for a couple of hours really. Worked absolutely fine.

• A
    Beginner September 2013
    AmzieM ·
    • Hide content

My uncle is doing something very similar to this next year. he doing it as late as possible and then follow it through the evening with a hot buffet.

his main reasons for doing it this way is he has been married before and his OH been married before (both OH passed away years ago). and uncle's OH got a lot of grandchildren so it wont be a really long day for them all.

think it is a good idea. part of me wish i chose this way instead.

• L
    Beginner September 2014
    Lozza32 ·
    • Hide content

AMAZING response! Thank you so so much, I feel much better about the idea now...now to find the venue!!!

Thanks again all xxxx

• Icklefee
    Super May 2014
    Icklefee ·
    • Hide content

We've got 80 for a bbq and had initially decided on no seating plan. Our caterer talked us out of this and we'll now have a seating plan and the food will be served on platters at the tables to avoid the queues and impatient guests.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics