Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

B
Beginner June 2015

HELP - advice needed about my dress!

bridetobe13062015, 30 of September of 2014 at 17:01 Posted on Planning 0 13

Hi ladies,

I'm after some advice about what to do about my dress. Initially I was torn between the dress I have ordered and another, but had to make a decision as my budget wouldn't stretch to 2 dresses! When I was ordering the dress, the shop could not have been nicer (apart from not allowing me to try on a fit and flare or mermaid style gown as I was told they wouldn't have suited my shape!) and my mum and one of my bridesmaids loved it more than the other dress. However, it all started to go downhill at my first fitting. First of all, the dress arrived in the shop less than a week after I ordered it, despite being told it would take 4 months. Then, when I tried it on, it was so big and so ill-fitting that I am going to have to have approximately 3-4 inches taken in on each side and the whole top of the dress re-stitched because of the bead-work! I am convinced that the shop has ordered the dress in a couple of sizes bigger than I requested - we are arguing about whether I signed off the size as a UK or US size on my order form - and therefore the alterations are going to cost a fortune. On top of that, the staff in the shop are becoming difficult and unhelpful. A friend who is also getting married had an awful experience in the shop last week while looking for bridesmaid dresses as she was effectively ignored and spoken to snottily because she has bought her wedding dress elsewhere and was only looking for bridesmaid dresses. Oh, and just to add insult to injury, I was watching a wedding programme with the hubby-to-be the other day when a woman came on screen wearing a dress almost identical to mine and the H2B piped up "Urgh, I don't like that dress". Not a good start!

However, all of this aside.....I'm not sure I love my dress anymore. I don't get excited when I look at pictures of it, I can't stop thinking about the other dress and when I saw it hanging up before I tried it on at my fitting, I wasn't bowled over and I didn't love it. This is my second marriage and my first dress was absolutely the perfect dress for me. I can't figure out whether I need to make peace with my new dress not being my old dress, or whether the new dress just genuinely isn't the right dress.

So my question is - what would you do? Would you cut your losses, follow your heart and look for the dream dress elsewhere? Or would you trust your original instinct and stick with the dress you have already bought, even though you're not sure it's The One?

HELP!

13 replies

Latest activity by Embrace Bridal Boutique - Exclusively 16+, 4 of October of 2014 at 18:23
  • E
    Beginner April 2015
    ExpensiveOrangeConfetti164 ·
    • Hide content

Sounds like you've had an awful time! Can you afford to cut your losses, forfeit your deposit and walk away from it? Do you have a copy of the order form - if so, the size details should be recorded on it. They should have taken measurements in the shop too - mine did.

Finding your wedding dress, having it fitted and playing with accessories etc should be a fun and exciting experience and it doesn't sound as if that's what your supplier is giving you. Remember you will have photos of this day for the rest of your life and you don't want to look at them and wish you had chosen another dress.

PS - if you decide to cut your losses, it might be better to go with the bad size as your reason rather than falling out of love with it - you'll have more chance of recovering your deposit!

• MrsToffee
    Expert April 2015
    MrsToffee ·
    • Hide content

That sounds awful! If you can get your deposit back go to a different shop!

• jen-lou
    Super July 2016
    jen-lou ·
    • Hide content

Do you have a copy of the order sheet? When i purchased mine, I had to sign a contract with all the details on, including my measurements and the dress size ordered. On the contract it had all the terms and conditions and when the balance of the monies owed was due and what I would need to do if I cancelled my order.

It's a shame you had such a bad time with them, but there is no point settling if you are unhappy.

• B
    Beginner June 2015
    bridetobe13062015 ·
    • Hide content

Thanks ladies. There was a size on my order form but the shop is claiming it's the US size....probably to get away with the fact that they've ordered a size too big! It's my fault for not double checking the size before I signed off on the order form.

I could probably suck it up if it was just the deposit I would lose but the shop have now said I'm liable for the total cost because the dress has arrived, so it looks like I'm going to have to just get over it and wear the dress. It's not horrible and it certainly could be worse, I'm just not sure if it's the most amazing dress ever. Never mind!

• M
    Beginner September 2015
    mrsh2b89 ·
    • Hide content

Does it say on the order form its US size? If not stand your ground! If you order something in the UK you expect the dress size ordered to be the UK size unless stated otherwise!

I doubt they've even ordered if its come within a week - sounds as though it was ordered for someone else who has then changed their mind.

• GiraffeBride
    Beginner May 2018
    GiraffeBride ·
    • Hide content

Hi! Smiley smile

I can't help with suggestions on what to do I'm afraid, but I can help you with your argument. US sizes come in smaller than UK ones, for example a UK 14 is a US 10. (I know this cos I get very excited I can fit in size 10 jeans haha). So their argument that the size is bigger because it's American is completely invalid!

Hope that helps in any way!!

• halloweeny
    Beginner October 2013
    halloweeny ·
    • Hide content

I think this ^^^^ too.

It sounds like they just had this dress floating about because someone has changed their mind.

Really out of order.

• S
    Beginner May 2016
    Sparty ·
    • Hide content

Stand your ground! Their US/UK argument is rubbish as has been said above.

A friend of mine had the same issue as you but opposite (i.e. they ordered her a US 10 instead of a UK 10!! So when she went for her fitting it was a UK size 4!) The shop did try to get a sample dress for her to have instead from the supplier (Maggie Sottero I think) but they couldn't. So she had to find emergency help to alter it (in a different shop of course).

Does your contract say anything about you being liable once the dress is in the shop?

• jen-lou
    Super July 2016
    jen-lou ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

^^^^^ Very good point...didnt even think of that!

• Lottie2409
    Beginner November 2014
    Lottie2409 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Surely that's the wrong way round though and ordering a US size like they say they have would make it bigger. Eg if the op wanted a size 10 and put that on the form but they ordered a US size 10 instead then that would be a UK size 14 that was delivered?

• kiwi_girl
    Beginner May 2015
    kiwi_girl ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I think this is correct. They put down 10 on the form. You thought (as would be expected and fair enough) that a 10 was a UK10. They actually ordered a US10, which is the same as a UK14. So, actually what was ordered was a UK14....

I don't think this is your fault. I would say you are unhappy with the size mistake and ask for your deposit back.

• GiraffeBride
    Beginner May 2018
    GiraffeBride ·
    • Hide content

Oh of course, I hadn't thought of it that way around!

It's still ridiculous though- unless you are ordering from an American shop or they explicitly told you they deal in American sizes then I think you're well within your rights to ask for your deposit back and go somewhere that doesn't confuse trans-Altantic sizings!

• cinnamon009
    Beginner December 2014
    cinnamon009 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

A US 10 is a UK size 14. So it would have been too big not too small? If they ordered what turned out to be a UK size 4 it would have been the infamous US size 0 which all the celebs strive to achieve.

Most bridal designers stock US sizes so a note to all Brides - make sure you ask what the specific measurements of the dress they are ordering are and that they are written on the order form not just the size. A good bridal shop should do this anyway as they have a list with the measurements for all the designers. It saves confusion all round.

• Embrace Bridal Boutique - Exclusively 16+
    Embrace Bridal Boutique - Exclusively 16+ ·
    • Hide content

In my personal (and professional) opinion there sounds something fishy going on here. How did the sample fit compared to how "your" dress fits? Did they shop take your measurements or did they order your gown based on how the sample fitted? Can they explain why it has only taken a week to come? What designer is the dress? Do you have one part of the body that is a larger dress size than the other (a size 12 bust for example but a size 16 hips)?

Sorry I know it sounds a lot of questions but I have a theory and your answers may help determine if im right. Dont get confused with the US/UK sizing because in the majority of wedding gowns the US size is only 1 smaller than a UK, unlike high street clothing where a US0 is a UK4. The measurements vary across designers so that's not really an accurate way to measure either and besides it would only make a couple of inches difference, not the 6-8 you are talking about. Have you had a read of their feedback from other customers to see if anybody else has had the same problems?

I fill in order forms all the time and I never fill in the US size so I think the shop are certainly at fault and I dont see why you should bear the cost of expensive alterations because they have made a mistake. You wouldnt be the first lady to fall out of love with her dress either and I think an incident like this just goes to add to the "meh" feeling!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics