Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

J
Beginner September 2010

HELP AND ADVICE WANTED - ELLIS BRIDAL RANGE STYLE NO 11054

joharrison70, 24 November, 2009 at 15:19 Posted on Planning 0 12

Hi

Am posting this in the hope that someone can help me, as you can see from the title, I am a larger size bride, have tried on quite a few dresses now, all different styles, but although quite nice from the front they are far from flattering from a side or back view.

I was feeling quite despondent but a bridal shop I went to a few weeks ago suggested this dress to me and I tried it on in thinking it was completely the wrong style for me. How wrong! I absolutely fell in love with it and you would not believe the hourglass figure it gave me, it really is so very flatting. But....... it’s over my budget, if anyone has any ideas would love to hear from you.

I have tried looking for other dresses and forgetting this one, but nothing even comes close to this one! Even looked at sweetsend factory shop via ebay who can make copies of dresses for a fraction of the price but something is holding me back from doing this, too much of a gamble! Has anyone else used them?

Anyway have wittered on enough; fingers crossed one of you can help me, any ideas welcome!

Jo

12 replies

Latest activity by joharrison70, 25 November, 2009 at 11:49
  • Emj85
    Beginner June 2012
    Emj85 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Hiya,

I dont think I can help, but i will certainly try. How much over your budget is the dress? Could you not ask someone to help out the little extra bit (cheeky as it may seem/feel) if you really want it you want it. Is there no way you could find a pattern and ask someone to make it? You could go on google and type in plus size wedding dresses, I too am a larger size at the moment but some of them dresses are stunning and altho not my taste, do make the models look beautiful. If all else fails could you not try haggling with the shop? Maybe they could do you a deal if you bought something else from theyre shop they could knock some money off the price for you? Im really sorry if this doesnt help but have one of these anyway ? Let us know how you get on. Good Luck xxx

• The Sock Chicken
    Beginner August 2010
    The Sock Chicken ·
    • Hide content

I'm not going to go into the ins and outs, but I totally disagree with copying designers dresses. I feel it's totally wrong.

I have an Ellis dress and I strongly reccomend contacting some other stockists. My dress style 11032 was £965 in the first shop I went to, but £699 in the second!!! Where in the country are you?

Also have you considered a once worn dress?

• Beccy Sprout
    Beginner
    Beccy Sprout ·
    • Hide content

I feel the same as Zippy I'm afraid re the copying of designer dresses.

I would also be a bit wary of the copy dress having the same finish/structure/corsetry which you've fallen in love with and gives you an hour glass figure.

Do you have a pic of the dress, with you in it so that we can a)take a peek and b) offer more suggestions?

• ooh la la
    Beginner August 2013
    ooh la la ·
    • Hide content

This dress?...

• The Sock Chicken
    Beginner August 2010
    The Sock Chicken ·
    • Hide content

Is this it?

• Mitzi50
    Beginner June 2010
    Mitzi50 ·
    • Hide content

Speaking from experience I wouldnt recommend buying a copy from china, i did this and honestly its turned into a nightmare. The dress was lovely, but not a very good copy and didnt have quite the same feel/fit, the material was cheaper so didnt feel or hang the same either. The dress that arrived for me was actually stained so I contacted them and they said post it back for a refund, so spent £29.00 on posting it back to china and months later no refund and they dont respond to any emails etc, I would recommend looking at other options.

I think the pre loved option might be good for you, or ringing round dress shops, I found a £300 difference in price with my dress from one shop to another just 20mins down the road.

• GeordieBarbie
    Beginner May 2010
    GeordieBarbie ·
    • Hide content

OK - i'm gonna bat for the other side here...

I'm planning on buying a dress from China. I did look at Sweetsend initially as they're based in Reading and I was going to go the factory to try some on but in the end, I'm going to go with Landy as i've heard a few more reports on them and they have a dress which I love.

I have been to a couple of shops now to try dresses on to get the feel of what I think I want and what suits me before buying from Ebay. I can honestly say, that even though I love most of the dresses i've tried on, I don't think any of them are particulary worth their price tag...

I've got another appointment next weekend to try on some of my faves from the last time before I place my order. I did pop into a shop last weekend when I was home alone and tried some on and honestly, there were 2 I really liked but I just couldn't get the price out of my head - I just didn't think they were worth it.

All dresses come from China, even the big designer ones. My friend's Maggie dress arrived last year off the container ship smelling musty and of fish, quite creased and with lots of embellishing missing (inluding a strange random green bead! ?).

• GeordieBarbie
    Beginner May 2010
    GeordieBarbie ·
    • Hide content

Forgot to add - that dress is lush!! Very similar to the style i've been looking at.

I was quoted £897 for this Blue by Enzoani one...

• Beccy Sprout
    Beginner
    Beccy Sprout ·
    • Hide content

That is a lovely dress!

When I got my dress it was the bridal shops "designer weekend" and they were showcasing the new seasons Maggie dresses, I didn't get one of those but did get another maggie and got over £200 off just for placing the deposit on that day... have a butchers to see if that bridal shop or any others stock them has these, it may well help?

• J
    Beginner September 2010
    joharrison70 ·
    • Hide content

Hi

Thanks for your reply, it's really difficult as mum is on her own and has offered to help but people might disagree with me but doesn't feel right taking money from her as she has already helped me out on numerous occasions. I did wonder about seeing if someone could make it but worried whether the dress will still offer the same flattering figure as the original dress. Have been searching on internet a lot over recent weeks trying to find alternative options. It really is difficult and agree with what people say, once you find the perfect dress it's difficult to look for anything else to compare it to!

• J
    Beginner September 2010
    joharrison70 ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for all your help, much appreciated, feel like I have tried so many different ideas, but going to keep trying. I have found some second hand ones on ebay and similar websites but no bigger than a 10 or 12! Think a bit unrealistic even if I dieted lol. Maybe might get one leg in a size 10 or 12!

• The Sock Chicken
    Beginner August 2010
    The Sock Chicken ·
    • Hide content

Just in case you didnt see my reply - ring round some other Ellis stockists - my Ellis dress was £266 cheaper in the second shop I went to!

• J
    Beginner September 2010
    joharrison70 ·
    • Hide content

Thanks,will try that and see what the difference is!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics