Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

tinkerbelly1983
Beginner October 2011

HELP! Booking registrar

tinkerbelly1983, 22 December, 2010 at 11:24 Posted on Planning 0 6

I'm feeling really stupid now... where do I book my registrar? Is it from where I live or where I'm getting married? I live in Croydon so do I contact them? But I'm getting married near Horsham so do I contact them instead? I can't find any info anywhere and don't want to be calling people willy nilly! If anyone can help I'd really appreciate it because I must phone them today!

6 replies

Latest activity by LoveSka, 22 December, 2010 at 11:55
  • ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content

You need to book a registrar for your ceremony from the office that covers where you will be getting married i.e. nr Horsham. If you don't know which office this is, phone the venue and they will be able to tell you.

You give notice to get married at your "home" register office i.e. Croydon. The two offices will then liaise with paperwork etc.

• Bittersweet
    Beginner June 2012
    Bittersweet ·
    • Hide content

Hey,

Im not too sure which registrars you have to contact. I would just contact your local registrar and ask them, as im sure that they will advise you as to which borough you have to give notice too. I thought it was your local district, but may be wrong. Better to double check. Make sure you do it asap as you can provisionally book your date as much as up to 2 years in advance.

• LoveSka
    Beginner October 2011
    LoveSka ·
    • Hide content

Hi tinkerbell, we live in the West Midlands and are getting married in essex so we have just been through all of this. You can provisionally book your registrar in the town you are getting married in at any time. BUT you also have to give notice at the registry office of the town that you live in, we did this on monday.

Drop me a line if you need any more info, , ,

Bev xx

• ajdown
    VIP September 2011
    ajdown ·
    • Hide content

Don't worry, they make it deliberately difficult to ensure they milk as much money out of you as they can in these things.

You have to book a registrar covering the area you are getting married in, for your ceremony. This should be done as soon as you can to guarantee availability on the time and date of your choosing.

You and your partner then have to "give notice" in the areas you both live in - which of course may or may not be the same area for both of you (I come under Lambeth but my partner lives in Surrey and had to go to Leatherhead .. and we're getting married in the New Forest which comes under Ringwood) and then you get your piece of blue paper each (after they have been displayed for 3 weeks) which then is your legal "permission to marry".

In our case, when you give notice this is linked in via the computer to your time, date and location to where you are getting married, and when both partners have had their piece of blue paper released, it notifies your venue's registry office and - assuming you are going for a licensed venue rather than a church - they should then send you the pack which enables you to construct your service from the various options they suggest, with guidelines on what you can do.

Basically, for a non-church service, you can't have anything 'religious' and can't change the legal wording but you can pretty much adjust the rest of it to your needs.

However, if you're having a church service, the minister marrying you will help you put your service together.

The venue registrar is much more important - it doesn't matter so much when you "give notice" as long as your slot is reserved and paid for.

Hope that helps!

Horsham Registry Office: https://www.horsham.gov.uk/community/3132.aspx

Croydon Registry Office: https://www.horsham.gov.uk/community/3132.aspx

• tinkerbelly1983
    Beginner October 2011
    tinkerbelly1983 ·
    • Hide content

Thank you all very much!

• ajdown
    VIP September 2011
    ajdown ·
    • Hide content

You're a month after us. We booked our venue registrar in October this year, and got our bits of blue paper a couple of weeks ago so you have lots of time Smiley smile

You should be able to do the venue registration by phone - but will need to 'give notice' locally in person. Don't know what area your partner lives in as you didn't say but even if you are both under Croydon you don't need to do it together on the same day. Generally, to combat 'sham marriages' they prefer to interview each of you individually so they can check you're both giving the right answers independently.

It's nothing to worry about, honest.

I don't know if either of you have been married before but if you have, you'll need to show the divorce paperwork and decree absolute.

Otherwise it's usually something like birth certificate, passport and proof of address as ID - although your registry office will be able to tell you if they need more, as there are some variations between districts.

• LoveSka
    Beginner October 2011
    LoveSka ·
    • Hide content

We were interviewed together, it really does depend on your local office. They only asked really general questions though. Like ajdown said, , nothing to worry about?

Bev xx

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics