Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Haley
Beginner February 2026 West Sussex

Help, bridesmaids!

Haley, 11 of June of 2024 at 21:02 Posted on Planning 0 3
Hi, so i have no idea who to choose as my bridesmaids. I know i want 2 or 3 but i moved to UK from NZ 8 years ago and haven't really made any friends in this time. I have 1 friend that lives near by that i have decided on already. But others i am contemplating live in AUS and NZ (both have said they'd love to come over for wedding) i dont know if its a bad idea having bridesmaids that will travel from different countries. How feasible is this?

3 replies

Latest activity by Micro110, today at 06:32
  • R
    VIP July 2020 Monmouthshire
    RomanticGreenStationery27135 ·
    • Hide content

I know a few folk who have had overseas bridesmaids. It will probably be easier if you let them pick their own dress to bring with them so that you don't have to worry about finding something to fit them once they arrive. You could specify a colour/style/length but do need to be happy with the mismatched look, since it will probably be hard to find matching dresses in two or more different countries. (I know one bride who got her bridesmaids to send her detailed measurements so that she could buy the dresses here and fortunately they all fitted, but it did add a bit more to the stress as she didn't know until a couple of days before the wedding if they were the right size!)

Alternatively, don't have formal bridesmaids, but just have your close friends involved on your wedding day - they can get ready with you and maybe take part doing things like readings or being witnesses/giving speeches. If you want them to look more like part of the bridal party, you could always get them bouquets or corsages or suggest that they might like to wear something in a colour that matches your wedding palette.

• Haley
    Beginner February 2026 West Sussex
    Haley ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you, this is good advice 😊
  • M
    Beginner July 2025 Suffolk
    Micro110 ·
    • Hide content

Choosing bridesmaids from different countries is entirely feasible and can be quite interesting in today's globally connected weddings! Here are some considerations and suggestions:

1. Emphasize emotional connections: The most important factor is choosing people who have a special bond and deep emotional connection with you. Even if they come from different countries, if they are significant to you, their involvement will add meaningful value to your wedding.

2. Communication and planning: Ensure clear communication with the bridesmaids you intend to invite. Explain your thoughts and expectations, and make sure they have a clear understanding of the travel and wedding schedule. This helps them make informed decisions and prepare accordingly.

3. Costs and arrangements: Considering expenses such as travel and accommodation, assist them in planning their itinerary and possibly budgeting. Sometimes, offering accommodations or contributing towards travel expenses can show appreciation for their participation.

4. Technology and remote planning: Utilize technology to help remote bridesmaids participate in preparations and discussions. Video calls, social media, and emails can make them feel more connected throughout the process and facilitate discussions and decisions when needed.

5. Flexibility and inclusivity: Be flexible and understanding of the realities; sometimes, due to various reasons, bridesmaids may not be able to attend all events. Maintain flexibility and ensure everyone can participate to the best of their ability.

Ultimately, choose a bridesmaid team that makes you feel comfortable and happy. Wherever they come from, they will be an important part of your special day. Wishing you a smooth and wonderful wedding!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics