Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

S
Beginner August 2016

Help! Can I fire a bridesmaid already?

Swob27, 5 of September of 2015 at 16:21 Posted on Planning 0 5

Hi,

I've gotten myself into a bit of a pickle asking bridesmaids. My FI and I got engaged a while ago, whilst I was at University so it's been a long-ish engagement. Soon after we were engaged I asked a friend of mine to be BM in a kind of offhand way. In the year since then we've only seen each other once but it's understandable as I lived 6 hours away.

However, FI and I have since moved closer to home and now live only 35 minutes away from the BM in question. Although we had drifted apart I knew that, because I had already asked her to be a bridesmaid last year, I couldn't unask her without being a total ***. I thought this would all be fine because now that we lived closer me and BM could reconnect and become friends again.

But we've been living closer for 2 months now and the BM in question won't make herself free to see me. When I called her the other night to invite her and her boyfriend round (again), she mentioned in the conversation that she'd only come round when she was in the area for work because it would be cheaper for her to spend less on petrol when she was already in the area.

This actually hurt quite a lot to hear that clearly I'm not that important to her to spend a little money on petrol for an hour's round trip when I would obviously provide her and her boyfriend with a meal/drinks whatever as they would be my guests. I could understand and accept this if I knew she didn't have the money but she's the only member of my bridal party who's working full time and living rent free with her parents and my other bridesmaids have all made the effort to come and visit and talk weddings since we have moved back home, with one of them spending the last £10 she had to come and visit!

Basically, I just feel that this BM doesn't deserve the spot since I'm clearly not that important to her when all of my other BMs (there are 3 others and an MOH) have made such an effort to be involved. We haven't started doing any shopping for dresses or anything yet as the wedding's not for another 11 months but I'm wary that if she feels reluctant just to come round for a cup of tea and catch up, she won't be committed when it comes to shopping for BM dresses and the hen party.

I don't THINK I'm overreacting in this, I wouldn't expect anything from my bridesmaids AT ALL but I feel like a little more enthusiasm not just for my wedding but for our friendship wouldn't go amiss? I do want to keep her as a friend but I'm just realising we're not as close as we used to be and I feel I've made a terrible mistake including her in this.

My question I suppose is: can I already ask her to drop out as a bridesmaid even though she hasn't really given me cause to doubt her yet? If so, how can I put this so that I'm not being totally horrible?

Please any advice or thoughts you have will be appreciated!

5 replies

Latest activity by Charles, 7 of July of 2024 at 12:46
  • pink & glitz
    Beginner August 2014
    pink & glitz ·
    • Hide content

My first thought is that maybe she can't afford the petrol, although she stays at her parents and works full time doesn't mean she has disposable income. It could also be because you have drifted apart and she isn't that into your friendship anymore. It's tough as some people aren't as close as they use to be. Maybe you could say that to her, when you asked her you had a close friendship but not anymore. Or you could ask her if she still wants to be a bridesmaid? Get her reaction and go from there.

Let us know how you get on x

• S
    Beginner June 2016
    shelleyw21 ·
    • Hide content

I'd say if you haven't reconnected by now you never will. It's your day so make it what you want and what makes you happy.

• Paula @ Ollievision
    Paula @ Ollievision ·
    • Hide content

I think, for your own peace of mind, you should have one more try. This time call her and say you're passing by near where her parents live on xx evening and thought about popping in for a coffee & catch up. If she makes excuses then ditch her. If she genuinely seems to want to see you then don't.

• Jayne E
    VIP
    Jayne E ·
    • Hide content

I think meet up with her just the two of you. Even if it means you going to her home. Then you can have a chat and a catch up and maybe say how exciting it is now the wedding is getting nearer and gauge her interest etc. in both you and your wedding not to mention how you feel about her.

if she is short of funds then also consider whether you were intending to pay for her dress, shoes, hair and make up etc. if not would she be able to afford it. Travel costs for fittings and meet ups, etc etc. that's another consideration.

You could ask if she is still interested but then if she says yes you may feel you're stuck with her. You could say that you're sorry that the pair of you haven't been as close since you moved away and you appreciate that the wedding will bring considerable expense as you were going to provide x but your bridesmaids will have to provide their own z and you understand if she now feels that it's something she doesn't want to do. Give her an out.

If she chooses in say you're going to organise a meet up at your house with all your bridesmaids to discuss dresses etc and see if she turns up. Make it a time that's not straight from work for her. If she doesn't come to that then I think that's her definately lack of commitment to be able to say look I think it's probably better if you attend as a guest sort of thing.

Better this is sorted before you go to the expense of buying dresses Smiley smile

• Karen84
    Beginner July 2016
    Karen84 ·
    • Hide content

If someone told me that they would only visit when they were in the area for work, that would tell me that they don't hold the friendship in particularly high regard any more.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics