Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

AlmostMrsT
Beginner February 2015

Help! Can't decide on wedding cars!

AlmostMrsT, 27 of October of 2014 at 16:29 Posted on Planning 0 8

My wedding is 28th Feb and the only big thing left to sort is transport but i'm not sure what to do...

I have always thought that me and my dad would travel in a nice vintage car, and my mum and bridesmaids would go in a bigger car.

But my dilemma is this- THE WEATHER!! If the weather is bad then I don't want to have a vintage car that would possibly break down/feel cold/not cope with the hilly area where I live. Also, most car hire companies do 3hrs hire or more. This would work for 2 journeys using one car for everyone, but the wedding is quite early (12.30pm) so we are already having a very early start that day! If bridesmaids/mum need to be ready even earlier than planned, it could be a nightmare.

Any advice/suggestions/sympathy would be brilliant! ? xx

8 replies

Latest activity by NathalieSB, 11 of November of 2014 at 12:16
  • P
    Beginner August 2015
    Purplecake ·
    • Hide content

How far is the venue from pick up point? Mines only 5 mins away so the company is able to do two trips without the stress of everyone getting ready earlier, as he's only turning up about 15 mins before i would be leaving. If yours is further away it may not be as simple. But as for the vintage car, i don't think you need to worry about any breakdowns etc. They may be vintage but a reputable company should certainly make sure the cars are in top condition.

A lot of companies also have a back up plan in case a car isn't available, such as they will send their other RRoyce to pick you up for eg. And some say they take their cars on a test run prior to the day to make sure all is working. Any weather effecting the car shouldn't be a problem, but perhaps the pick up time will.

• cymruangel
    Beginner December 2014
    cymruangel ·
    • Hide content

As Purplecake says, if it's a company that's being going for a while they should have experience of running in all weather and have a back up plan if necessary.

I wouldn't worry about the feeling cold thing - quite often they come with rugs (mine does)!

• AlmostMrsT
    Beginner February 2015
    AlmostMrsT ·
    • Hide content

According to google maps, there are a few routes that all take roughly 20 mins, so a 40 min round trip. Of course that is assuming traffic is ok!

• kimiu
    Beginner June 2015
    kimiu ·
    • Hide content

We're having the opposite issue - we are staying at the venue the night before, so have no need for cars. But they put out a red carpet and everything from the "carriage turning point" through a front door where they have a glass of fizz waiting for the bride as she arrives in the building etc etc. I miss out on all of that....it's not quite the same walking down the corridor haha!

Perhaps we should be hiring a car to pick me up from the venue, drive round the block, and bring me back to the venue just so I can use the red carpet and get my glass of fizz.

So, I'm no help in your dilemma whatsoever! Sorry!!!

• AlmostMrsT
    Beginner February 2015
    AlmostMrsT ·
    • Hide content

Kimiu, I think staying there the night before is still an option, plus would save money on car hire! Only problem is the Mr is keen on doing that and I don't want to bump into him at breakfast! Oh and I have to feed an attention-seeking cat in the morning! Hmmm. xx

• MadamRed
    Beginner April 2017
    MadamRed ·
    • Hide content

Vintage cars have generally been restored and modernised in ways that don't affect the look of the vehicle. So, even though they're older, they can be just as warm as modern cars. Your best bet is probably to discuss it with potential suppliers and see if they can reassure you.

• kimiu
    Beginner June 2015
    kimiu ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Yes, for us it worked out cheaper for two rooms, one for me one for him, than it did for wedding cars.

We're getting round the breakfast issue by one of us having room service. H2B has also said he will be too nervous to eat. I have reminded him he needs to keep his strength up ?

I think, therefore, that he will go to the dining room for his full English, I'll prob arrange for my son and the best man to meet him for a fry up. I, on the other hand, will be having strawberries, pancakes and fizz in my suite. No idea if that is available, but in my head it is!!!!!

• MrsShep
    Beginner September 2014
    MrsShep ·
    • Hide content

Don't worry about the car breaking down etc, they're maintained beautifully, you shouldn't have a problem. I was worried about the two journeys, so I booked a car that we could all travel in together! Me, my mum and dad, and my 2 bridesmaids all travelled together. The car then waited, and H and I went off for a little drive and some photos. I didn't want my bridesmaids and my mum disappearing so long before I left, they need to get you into your dress etc, you don't want to be ready too early!

• NathalieSB
    NathalieSB ·
    • Hide content

Hi,

Don't worry about the vintage cars breaking down, that's not something we want brides worrying about! Most companies do run in 3 hour slots but they're pretty flexible on how that works, maybe you want photos taken in or around the cars? The cold weather might be a bit chilly for you, but I'm sure they would provide blankets if there's not a lot of heating available? Do you and the bridesmaids have things to wear to keep you warm? (I want to say jackets but that's not what I mean!)

How many bridesmaids will be travelling with your mum? We've taken the bridesmaids in a campervan and then the bride and father of the bride (or groom) in one of our Beetles and it looks amazing. I'm sure it will all work out, chat to who you want to provide the cars and see what they suggest, they're bound to have some good ideas.

xx

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics