Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

S
Beginner January 2011

Help!!! Can't try wedding dress on in my size!!!

sjw_uk, 13 of February of 2010 at 12:59 Posted on Planning 0 39

Hi, I am new to the forum and just wondered if anyone else is experiencing a similar problem that I am.

I have seen a wedding dress that I love but I can't try it on as it is a size 12, I am a size 20/22, I contacted the designers 'Justin Alexander' and they have informed me that none of the stores that have this dress would have it in a bigger size than a 12.... great!

The store I found it at said that it is available in my size to order, however I would have to take the gamble and lose the deposit approx £600, if it didnt fit or look how I thought it would... I think this is an unfair gamble as I don't have £600 to waste - of course if the dress looks amazing then all will be well, but I don't know if I should go ahead and order it... I have seen another dress that is lovely, but not as 'wow', I tried on the dress and it fitted perfectly, so not sure what to do!!

Has anyone else been in this situation? If yes, what did you do and what was the outcome?

Thanks, Sarah

39 replies

Latest activity by Civil Ceremonies, 9 of March of 2011 at 18:30
  • J
    jj74 ·
    • Hide content

Hi and Welcome to Hitched.

I would go and try on the size 12. It will still give you a good idea of how it will look. The bridal shops often pin a piece of fabric to the back and leave the zip etc undone.

• Mrs Tonner 2010
    Beginner June 2010
    Mrs Tonner 2010 ·
    • Hide content

I'm a size 18/20 and the first dress shop i went to stocked size 10's and told me she wouldn't risk doing them up in case i broke them and even suggested i lose weight before the wedding.

But the second one I went to was amazing, she chose dresses she thought would fit me and luckily i wanted a corset back so she was able to do them all up!

Where are you?? Are you willing to travel?

• emsa1
    Beginner May 2011
    emsa1 ·
    • Hide content

I had a similar problem this morning but the other way around - i'm a size 8 and the smallest dress in the shop i went to was a 14 so i could try it on but not get an accurate look of how the dresses would be in "real life".!!!

However the lady there did say if i wanted to order in a specific dress/size they could do for a £50 courier fee, but if i decided to buy the dress this would be taken off the bill. Which i thought was quite reasonable.

I am sure many other wedding dress shops do similar for a nominal fee (although it is annoying and i we just have £50 to splash round here and there, at least it's not £600!!!)

xx

• debmci
    debmci ·
    • Hide content

My friend had a similar problem. wot u need 2 do i go on and find one of those shops that sells you the dress off the peg. try on the Justin Alexander website for the stockists. phone them and ask if they do stock dresses in the 18-20. when you are there ask them if you can try on some of that range, as its what you like the most. some of the dept stores, the ones i know of near me in NI would be family owned establisments that have been open now for 20-30 years! go in and try it on, it mite be 1 size out either way. then tell them that you are going to go away and think about it. if you liked it...go bk then to another shop that will order it in and tell them the style no and the size you want.

My friends situation was that they said that the 22 fitted her perfectly but i think she had found it very tight and wanted the bigger size to have more for the dressmaker to work with etc. but that shop stocked 1 of each dress and didnt order in at all. she went to the other shop and had it ordered there in the size she wanted.

hope thats of some help to you!!

• S
    Beginner January 2011
    sjw_uk ·
    • Hide content

Thanks everyone....

I tried getting into the size 12, but it was too tiny and I couldnt get in it as i am too big, my husband to be and I are both trying to lose weight but i doubt i would lose enough to squeeze into the size 12! I tried on a similar dress which looked amazing, and held the Justin Alexander dress in front of it to get an idea of how the front of the dress would look, and wow wow wow, it was stunning... just have that little niggle that what if it doesnt sit on my hips the way I want etc...

I did call Justin Alexanders and called every store on the list they sent me - even Scotland (thats how far I would travel for the dress of my dreams) sadly I can't find any off the peg dresses, and I have even searched places like ebay to see if I could find it on there from USA or China for a fraction of the price, but no luck!

I am in Romford, Essex and I am willing to travel to anywhere in the UK, my friend lives in Bristol so going there to try on some other dresses soon, so keeping my options open!

I will keep searching and might go look at the dress again just to see if I should take the gamble or not!!! Ekkk!!

Sarah

• Mrs Tonner 2010
    Beginner June 2010
    Mrs Tonner 2010 ·
    • Hide content

Have you got a picture of the Justin Alextander dress?

• S
    Beginner January 2011
    sjw_uk ·
    • Hide content

It's ???? (I have removed the dress details as I will be ordering it next week as it is 'THE ONE', and don't want my friends/family to see it before the big day!)

PM me if you want to know what dress we were talking about!

• Mrs Tonner 2010
    Beginner June 2010
    Mrs Tonner 2010 ·
    • Hide content

Wow it's gorgeous, i'll get googling for you!

• S
    Beginner January 2011
    sjw_uk ·
    • Hide content

Thank you.... I have googled loads and contacted Justin Alexanders directly and nowhere does it in a bigger size than a 12... however if you can find one that would be great.... thanks for your help, its really appreciated.

• The BFG
    Beginner August 2010
    The BFG ·
    • Hide content

Oh thats awfull, when will these shops and suppliers realise that not everyone is a bloody size 0!!!!!

I am one of the lucky ones and i was able to try on pretty much any dress i wanted and when i went for my fitting a couple of weeks ago my dress fitted perfectly , no alterations needed, but i feel awfullwhen i hear of experiences such as yours as its just not fair you should be able to try on any dress you wish and i really hope you get that chance.

You have made a fab choice by the way, its stunning, goodluck honey x x

• emsa1
    Beginner May 2011
    emsa1 ·
    • Hide content

I was also thinking you might have more luck at the big national wedding shows - surely they will have more of an array of sizes available????? (am hoping so, but have not been to any yet!!) i'm going to the one at the NEC in march xx

• S
    Beginner January 2011
    sjw_uk ·
    • Hide content

Thanks girls.... it is a pain when they dont stock at least two sizes of the same dress, a size 12 and a size 18 would be a good variation!!

Best of luck at the NEC... I am going to the Wedding Show at Olympia, Earls Court on the 21st Feb - so will keep my eyes open, and then on the 27th Feb I am going to Pronuptia in South Woodford and Justin Alexander will actually be there, so can start asking questions, I am booked in to try a bigger size dress on in a similar style, so can ask the designer for their advice and grill him, lol!

• debs1701
    Beginner
    debs1701 ·
    • Hide content

It is a bit unfair that bridal shops don't hold a wider range of sizes!

Not sure if you have tried these sites yet but here goes

http://www.dimitradesigns.com/shopcart/ProductLayouts/ProductDetailDisplay.asp?CategoryID=216&ProductID=2452

https://www.justinalexander.com/

• pink alien
    Beginner May 2008
    pink alien ·
    • Hide content

I am a size 20 -22 and went here... http://www.plussizebridal.co.uk/

I know its a bit away from you but I honestly can't recommend them highly enough! They have loads of plus size dresses to try on and the service was great too - they made me feel like a bride and my size wasn't at all an issue as they have dresses up to a 30! You will need to book an appointment as they do get busy.

• S
    Beginner January 2011
    sjw_uk ·
    • Hide content

Thanks debs1701, I have looked at those before, and made contact with both websites, but no joy! ☹️

I will keep trying. keep the ideas coming as I need all the help I can get!!

• S
    Beginner January 2011
    sjw_uk ·
    • Hide content

Thanks Pink Alien, I have just googled mapped directions to their store... not too far from me, only an hour and half... I will get in contact with them and see if they can fit me in... thank you so much. ?

• J
    jj74 ·
    • Hide content

This shop is near your friend in Bristol. I have heard very good things about it and it has a fantastic range of dresses http://www.bigbeautifulbridescollection.com/

• S
    Beginner January 2011
    sjw_uk ·
    • Hide content

Thank you jj74 - I will have a look and see what they have and give them a call... thanks again.

• GeordieBarbie
    Beginner May 2010
    GeordieBarbie ·
    • Hide content

I'm a size 12 and I struggled to get into some dresses.

On my first shopping trip I went specifically to a shop as they had "DREAM DRESS". I was very excited but the thing was about a size 8 and I couldn't get into it (it was fishtail so figure hugging). I managed to squeeze into it enough to see that it looked beautiful but in the end had to discount it as I coudn't quite tell how it looked on me.

Good luck in your search!

• C
    Beginner March 2011
    clarem1986 ·
    • Hide content

I put a deposit on the same dress yesterday!!! I love it!! I'm getting the neckline changed into a sweetheart though and mine doesnt have straps.

Good luck with your search, good choice on dress :-) xx

• C
    Beginner March 2011
    clarem1986 ·
    • Hide content

P.s I'm a size 12, but the dress was a size 16...that was in Knaphill, Woking xx

• S
    Beginner January 2011
    sjw_uk ·
    • Hide content

OMG.... thats so good to hear clarem1986.... I have been searching everywhere... Woking is not too far from me... willing to drive anywhere!!! Can you give me the details of the shop please - was it: Mamfii Bridal? I notice they are on the stockist list justin Alexander sent me, I would love to go try and see if I can squeeze into it....

Good idea about changing the neckline, I might look into that, I like the strap/wrap - I would have that for the evening.... look forward to hearing from you. x

• S
    Beginner January 2011
    sjw_uk ·
    • Hide content

Thanks GeordieBarbie.... Its so nice to hear everyone wishing me luck in my search. It's a shame that even smaller sized ladies are having problems too... stores should have two of each dress, one size 12 and one an 18 or something, then most women (more than the current amount) can fit into the dresses.... madness that they don't! I don't fancy parting with loads of money and not having tried the dress on - too much of a gamble... have you tried looking for the same dress elsewhere? I hope so, good luck in your search too. x

• C
    Beginner March 2011
    clarem1986 ·
    • Hide content

http://www.mamfiibridal.co.uk/index2.php

Here is their website, its called Mamfii Bridal (award winning!), their tel number is ****. I can't recommend the shop highly enough, it is gorgeous and they have a fantastic range of dresses should you want to try others on, nearly all the dresses I tried on were about size 16 so you should have some choice. The ladies in the shop pinned the neckline down into a sweetheart and oh my god, I loved it!!! The ladies in there are so friendly, I recommend you give them a call, they will know if it will fit you to try on. (I think it will)

Just to let you know, the one I tried on didnt have with the arm bits...just to warn you, but I'm sure you can get an idea without them. they may have had the bits out the back but didnt mention to me, i only knew it had arm bits from the internet! oh and another tip, mamfi call the dress 'Justin Alexander - Jasmine' xx

• S
    Beginner January 2011
    sjw_uk ·
    • Hide content

I am getting so excited now clarem1986.... you have made my day... I have just emailed them - thats for the tip, I will follow that up with a call during the week if I have not heard back from them.... ooo, exciting....

To be honest, I would order it from t he store near to me, its just a shame that they do n ot have the bigger size for me to try on.... the store near me had the wrap attachment and it looked wow... I would wear just the dress and a veil for the ceremony, then take my veil off and put the wrap on for the evening reception... I cant wait - I so want to go try it on.... I will keep you posted.... thank you so much for you help.... When is your wedding? x

• C
    Beginner March 2011
    clarem1986 ·
    • Hide content

I'm pleased I could help!

Yes I totally agree to you actually ordering it from the shop near you, much less hassle for fittings etc! I just meant you'l have a nice experience at the shop and they will make you feel really welcome (unlike some shops i went to!). I wouldnt mention ul be buying elsewhere though ha ha. Fingers crossed you get to try it on, would love you to keep me updated!! My wedding is 26 March 2011, I now have my venue and dress!

I literally put the deposit on the dress yesterday, then came on here this morning and saw that someoen else loves the dress and so you made my day too :-) xx

• S
    Beginner January 2011
    sjw_uk ·
    • Hide content

Im getting married in Jan 2011 so will be able to post some pics for you of me in it on our big day if I go ahead and bite the bullet and order it - exciting.... then you can post your pics too, you will look fab, being a size 12, you must have a stunning figure... as my Nan would say about the dress 'Wish you well to wear it' ?

I am so pleased you have gone ahead with getting it, it is an amazing dress... and it always helps when the staff in the shop are lovely (I will be keeping my lips buttoned about the other shop near me - he he)... Good luck with the rest of your plans... x

• C
    Beginner March 2011
    clarem1986 ·
    • Hide content

Oh great so you've already seen the arm straps, you just need to try it on!! I think you'l be fine getting into it, they may not be able to do the lace up bit but you'l still get the idea...they didnt do the lace up on me because I had clips to pull it in, but I could still see it was a stunning dress without doing it all up....

Not sure if your going for white or ivory? the one in mamfii is ivory which is what ive ordered. One on website is white, both lovely...Although a size 12, very self concious of stomach area and this was so flattering on my stomach :-)

Pls pls send pics if you go for it, maybe sooner pics if you have any at fittings?? Good luck with everytging too!! xx

• C
    Beginner March 2011
    clarem1986 ·
    • Hide content

Sjw_uk - did you get a reply from Mamfii? Hope you managed to arrange something x

• S
    Beginner January 2011
    sjw_uk ·
    • Hide content

Hi ya.... Woohoooo..... just got back from them, had my appointment this morning.... Wow... I love the dress, managed to get it on, but like you say, was unable to do the back up, but at least I got to see how it would look. I would go for the Ivory, as loved it... they had the wrap in the shop too, I asked her about it and she went and got it from up stairs.... she has kept it with the dress now so might be worth popping back if its local to you and seeing it with the wrap, it adds to the wow of it all...

I was honest with the shop and told her I wouldnt be ordering it from them, but I did buy the tiara they put on me to complete the look, I fell in love with it... was perfect - felt like a princess... I am so chuffed by it all.

I will post pics up from our wedding (tried to take a pic today but they didnt leave us alone to be cheeky, he he)....

Best of luck with your dress.... I can't wait for my size to come in... I go and order it next Sat - so excited!!!!

Before I go, I just wanted to say THANK YOU SO MUCH for letting me know about Mamfii, I would have probably been having panic attacks or something about taking the gamble in ordering it without know what it really looked like.... you made me very happy to know there was a size I could try on. Thank you xx

• C
    Beginner March 2011
    clarem1986 ·
    • Hide content

Ahh how weird, i thought of you this morning wondering how you were getting on, and you were probably there in the shop wearing it as I thought it!!

I bet they were pleased that you bought the tiara. They do have beautiful things in there!! I'm so happy you got to try it on and get an idea of what it was like and you've decided to go for it! Bet you can't wait to get it ordered!!

Your very welcome, I can't wait to see your pics! Good luck with your planning! Speak to you soon!! xxx

• S
    Beginner January 2011
    sjw_uk ·
    • Hide content

Will deffo speak soon.... will look out for you on other forum pages..

I have removed the dress details/photo from my previous post - as I know some of my friends/family browse the forum for wedding ideas for us!!! Don't want them to see it before the big day, he he he!!!

Take care ;o)

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics