Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Melancholie
Beginner December 2014

Help completing a P46

Melancholie, 24 August, 2009 at 11:16 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 1

I start a new job on September 7th and they want me to fill in a P46 form rather than waiting for my P45 from my previous job.

There's a box on the P46 about student loans which says: "If you left a course of Higher Education before last 6 April and received your first Student Loan instalment on or after 1 September 1998 and you have not fully repaid your Student Loan, enter 'X' in box D."

I started uni in September 1998, got my first loan instalment in September 2000 and finished my post grad in July 2003, so I ought to be putting a cross in the box. However, I qualify under the RTL scheme (Repayment of Teachers' Loans) and don't pay anything towards my student loan. I'm worried that if I put a cross in the box they'll start taking student loan payments from my salary. When I first started work they did this for four months and it took almost 6 months for me to get the money back. I can't afford for that to happen again.

Does anyone know how these forms work? Can anyone help me out?

1 replies

Latest activity by Melancholie, 24 August, 2009 at 11:40
  • Carrie74
    Beginner June 2007
    Carrie74 ·
    • Hide content

Speak to the payroll department and they'll tell you how to deal with it. And if you get paid at the end of the month, your P45 ought to come with you August payslip anyway, so you could well have your P45 before you start work as it is.

• Melancholie
    Beginner December 2014
    Melancholie ·
    • Hide content

I'm tempted to wait until the end of the week and see if my P45 arrives, but as I haven't received my July payslip yet I'm not overly confident of getting my August payslip or my P45 anytime soon!

I'll see if I can get hold of the new payroll department and see what they say.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics