Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Redbedhead
Beginner August 2006

Help drafting a letter re unsuccessful job interview

Redbedhead, 17 August, 2009 at 19:56 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 8

H heard today that he didn't get a job he really wanted. The feedback was really positive and they said it had been a tough decision between him and another person and the other person had slightly more experience in one particular area and this had won out. They have asked if they can keep his information on file.

I have suggested H write them a letter, thanking them for the opportunity and just letting them know if other roles come up he would be interested to hear from them. I had managed to draft it verbally but am struggling now I am writing it to ensure it doesn't sound like he is sucking up to them! Any suggestions?

8 replies

Latest activity by Luthien, 17 August, 2009 at 20:16
  • Luthien
    Beginner June 2007
    Luthien ·
    • Hide content

I think that what you have posted is fine. It's not sucking up at all - but, even if it was, is that so bad?

Sorry to hear it wasn't the result he wanted, I think positive reviews on rejection are quite hard to take, as you have nothing to work on.

• Rosencrantz
    Rosencrantz ·
    • Hide content

Dear ....

Thank you for taking the time to interview me for x position on x date. It was good to meet you and although I am disappointed that I was not offered the position I applied for, I found your feedback very helpful. In particular I found your comments on X very interesting and I intend to address these development points by attending X training course and doing X in my current role.

I would be grateful if you keep my details on file and please do let me know if your company can offer me the opportunity to apply for positions in the area of X, Y or Z. I very much hope to work for your company in the future and look forward to hearing from you soon.

Yours Sincerely,

Mr Redbedhead.

Something like that?

• Redbedhead
    Beginner August 2006
    Redbedhead ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thanks.

The section in bold is his feeling as well, although I did point out it was better than them coming back and saying he was crap and shouldn't have darkened their doorstep!!

• Luthien
    Beginner June 2007
    Luthien ·
    • Hide content

? Definitely.

Rosencrantz's letter is ace!

• V
    Beginner September 2005
    Viva Suzi ·
    • Hide content

What a shame for your H - hope there is another fab job around the corner for him.

I'm trying to recruit someone at the moment and, having turned down a few applications, I've had some people reply wanting feedback or expressing how disappointed they are that they didn't get the job.

The ones that have impressed me have been the ones that have been straight to the point and said basically thanks for the chance to interview, the position sounded interesting and if I can help in the future please get in touch.

The ones that have not impressed have included begging for me to reconsider and claming they would do a better job than anyone else (one woman reckons she could do the job with her eyes shut!) - I haven't bothered keeping their details!

• Redbedhead
    Beginner August 2006
    Redbedhead ·
    • Hide content

Thank Rosencrantz - that is quite similar to my draft so have used a few bits of yours to tweak mine.

• Rosencrantz
    Rosencrantz ·
    • Hide content

Aw thanks Luthien ?

No problems RBH, I hope he gets another opportunity really soon.

• Redbedhead
    Beginner August 2006
    Redbedhead ·
    • Hide content

That is good to know VS. I have tried not to appear too begging in the letter!!

The draft I have is:

Normal 0 false false false EN-GB X-NONE X-NONE MicrosoftInternetExplorer4

Thank you for taking the time to interview me for the role of xxxx. I was disappointed to hear I was unsuccessful but would like to thank you for the positive feedback you provided.

I was impressed by the company and hope you achieve the growth plans we discussed in the interviews. I would be grateful if you would keep my details on file and would be interested to hear from you directly if any vacancies arise in the future.

Yours sincerely

I can't really put about points to address as they didn't provide any, they purely said it came down to the other bloke having a bit more experience in a certain area which was an area they hadn't mentioned in their job spec. It it the sort of experience gained over time as well rather than can be gained on a course.

• Luthien
    Beginner June 2007
    Luthien ·
    • Hide content

That sounds good - and very in control, rather than handing them all of the power.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics