Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

WelshTotty
Beginner December 2014

Help: dye for a duchess satin dress

WelshTotty, 26 July, 2009 at 12:36 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 3

Anyone dyed a wedding dress before? I ask as I'd like to dye mine pink to use as fancy dress in Sept. What's the best way to do it? Any advice much appreciated

3 replies

Latest activity by WelshTotty, 26 July, 2009 at 18:35
  • L
    Beginner May 2007
    LittlePeanut ·
    • Hide content

Hi Dave / WT (funny how Hitched says 'started by Dave' but 'last post by Welsh Totty' IFSWIM

I think I read somewhere that dyeing a wedding dress can be tricky because different materials take the dye differently. Is it all the same material?

I've done a bit of googling and altough most sites say to avoid it, there have been people who have given it a go with some success.

Good luck!!

(I guess you just get the dye and get stuck in?)

• WelshTotty
    Beginner December 2014
    WelshTotty ·
    • Hide content

Hi LP! Its the same fabric throughout but had emboridery which is obviously of a different material to the fanric. TBH Ive got nowt to lose cos if it comes out all wierd then it doesnt matter. Im not precious about it, its just a dress. I think Im going to bite the bullet and give it a go with some Dylon in the washing machine and see what happens!

• L
    Beginner May 2007
    LittlePeanut ·
    • Hide content

Yeah, reckon the embroidery might not take the same but it might look quite cool.

I think we need before and after photos :o)

• WelshTotty
    Beginner December 2014
    WelshTotty ·
    • Hide content

I reckon the embroidery will come out darker than the dress, whoch could look different, it also has pearls and crystal beads on it to give it a further twist. Hmmmmm, I have 6 weeks to give it a go, I shall certainly take a photo after Ive tried to dye it!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics