Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

R
Beginner January 1999

Help first dance worries....

RomanticPinkStationery290, 11 of April of 2016 at 14:34 Posted on Planning 0 13

Ok so my partner really doesn't want to do an all eyes on is first dance and I can't say I'm overly bothered about it myself! However everyone keeps saying u have to have a first dance etc. Is there a way we can do something instead of this? Or ideas for a group dance? I feel like it's our wedding and why should we do something we are not comfortable with!

13 replies

Latest activity by lucyjo, 12 of April of 2016 at 14:08
  • M
    Beginner August 2016
    Mrs-Riley ·
    • Hide content

I would just say don't do it- it's your wedding, not theirs!

You could perhaps do a first dance with everyone on the dance floor, if you really felt pressure to do something.

• R
    Beginner January 1999
    RomanticPinkStationery290 ·
    • Hide content

This is what I'm thinking! Plus I'm pregnant and don't really want to have all eyes on me for a dance. Not overtly showing yet but who knows on a month. I just feel uncomfortable with it all!

• Barnett2015
    Beginner April 2015
    Barnett2015 ·
    • Hide content

Could you do a couples dance? Ask married aunts and uncles, grandparents, parents, friends etc. to dance too?

• R
    Beginner January 1999
    RomanticPinkStationery290 ·
    • Hide content

Actually a couples dance sounds like a good compromise! Thank you

• MadamRed
    Beginner April 2017
    MadamRed ·
    • Hide content

My OH doesn't want to do a first dance, either. We're either going to have the whole wedding party do a flashmob-style routine or have no first dance at all.

• Jayne E
    VIP
    Jayne E ·
    • Hide content

You could do the couples dance basically to shut people up. Or simply say there isn't a first dance end of.

Or sneak away just you, your oh and your photographer. Outside in the dark on your own. Makes for a lovely photo and no embarrassing audience. My first dance was in the snow in the dark on a frozen lake. How I wish I had a photographer there! We played something on oh iPhone.

• Vixy1987
    Beginner May 2016
    Vixy1987 ·
    • Hide content

Neither of us are really bothered by it so we aren't doing it, As others have said, it's your wedding and don't do anything that you;re uncomfortable with.

I think we will just have a specific song to get people dancing - keep the eyes from us!

• M
    Beginner May 2017
    MrsW2017 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Ooo do a flash mob and post it on here for us to see - I love them!

• AnthonyWinyardEntertainment
    AnthonyWinyardEntertainment ·
    • Hide content

I've done at least 15 weddings where the couple didn't have a first dance and it has never been a problem.

The easiest way to organise it is that instead of your DJ or band waiting to kick the dancing off after the first dance, they just start playing appropriate music to get people up and dancing from early on. You will find that a lot of people haven't even realised that there hasn't been a first dance.

You could have something like an Anniversary Dance, where the DJ/MC/Singer asks all the married couples to come onto the dance floor. He then asks everyone that's been married less than 5 years to leave the floor. Then less than 10 years, then 15 and you keep going until you're left with the couple that has been married the longest.

That couple are then asked to give the bride and groom some advice for their marriage on the microphone. Then a song is played and the bride and groom dance with this couple and then after a set amount of time (15 seconds, 30, 45, 1 minute etc) the DJ asks everyone to join them on the floor.

There are so many other things that could be done also.

• jamborina
    Dedicated August 2016
    jamborina ·
    • Hide content

We're just not having one because neither of us like them particularly. No doubt there'll be some dancefloor moments that are less cringy throughout the night.

• Chapples
    Beginner June 2017
    Chapples ·
    • Hide content

I'm not particularly looking forward to being centre of attention whilst dancing as I am rubbish at it, but we've had a first dance song earmarked since about 10 months before we got engaged so I guess we need to use it! Smiley smile

I've been at weddings before where it's been all of the bridal party & partners joining in with the first dance from the start, & then everyone else after a couple of verses, so that might be an option to deflect some of the attention?

• thespectrumband@hotmail.co.uk
    thespectrumband@hotmail.co.uk ·
    • Hide content

Hi,

It's your wedding so only have a first dance if you want one. Smiley smile

It's not uncommon to not have one these days.

But if you are going to have one definitely get your band/dj to invite the close wedding party up too. (Maybe tell them first though!)

James x

• R
    Beginner August 2016
    RhonaH ·
    • Hide content

We're really uncomfortable dancing in front of everyone so I really want to do a first sword fight instead! I've seen lots of different ideas on Offbeat Bride but it's entirely up to you - you can do whatever you want or do nothing at all.

• L
    Beginner May 2017
    lucyjo ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Oh my gosh, Rhona, you absolutely have to do that, that's completely brilliant!!

My OH isn't keen on dancing either (anyone seen the bit from the Princess Diaries sequel where someone says "It looks like he's trying to land a plane!"...?? - that's what I'm talking about!) so we've decided to opt for a really fun, upbeat, country-style song instead of the usual smoochy, cringey type of thing, and we're planning to get our bridesmaid and her partner up there dancing with us after the first verse, to take the pressure off us a bit. Besides, we're both hoping we'll have had enough champagne by then that we won't care who's looking at us ?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics