H
Beginner August 2022 North Yorkshire

Help! Getting married at 11am and my Mum is saying people will get bored and leave!

Helen, 10 January 2022 at 16:09 Posted on Planning 0 14
Saved

Hi, so my OH an I were originally supposed to be getting married in 2020 but then Covid hit and as with lots of couples we had to postpone. We are now booked in to be married on 27th August this year, however when we came to booking the registrar, times were so limited that we could only do 11am! I initially thought this would be fine, but now my Mum is telling me that it is a really bad idea and that guests will get fed up and want to leave. We have grandparents coming and family with children and she is saying because everyone will have been there all day, they will want to go by 5!

Our current timeline is;

11am – Ceremony

11:45 – Ceremony ends – Couple photos, caricaturist, cocktail hour and garden games (we are getting married in the grounds of a hotel)

12:30 Group photo’s

2:30 – called to sit

2:45 – first speeches

3pm – Meal

4:30 – final speeches

5pm – Cut the cake

5:30 – Cake and Coffee

5:30 – Face painter arrives

6:30 – DJ starts

My OH thinks that we have enough booked in to keep people entertained and that the early start will mean the day is not rushed but I don’t want people feeling fed up and wanting to leave. We are getting the DJ to start at 6:30, rather than 7:30 so that if people have had enough by 8ish, then they can go and not get home too late.

During the meal, for kids, we have also made our own activity books and done and I Spy game.

What do other people think?

14 replies

Latest activity by Emma, 13 January 2022 at 16:08
  • A
    Savvy July 2021 Devon
    Alexandra ·

I truly don't think people will get bored - we got married at 12pm and found the day went so quickly we wish we'd got married earlier to have more time to enjoy! We had a really relaxed vibe to the wedding which the guests loved (as did I - far less pressure!) and people seemed to really enjoy having time between the 'neccessary' events in order to mingle, go for a wander etc.

Personally, the only suggestions I'd have for the plans would be to have the group photos before the couples photos (it was a LOT easier to do these straight after the confetti shot when everyone was still together, and it meant my OH and I didn't feel rushed when we went off to have our own photos done as we knew they were all happily chatting, sipping pimms and playing!) - rather than give everyone drinks & then try to assemble them. And the other would be to push the cake cutting back (unless you're having the cake as pudding for the meal, if so ignore me!) so that people can have a break after sitting down for the meal. I think our meal was at 2pm, cake cutting at 6pm - and it still felt like we didn't have masses of downtime. This would extend the day a bit for you as you could have the DJ a bit later (if you wanted that) - you really don't need to worry about people getting bored - although I would suggest a timing sign so people know what to expect! BUT, these are just my opinions and you know your family/friends and what would work best Smiley smile

• Stephanie
    Curious June 2022 South West London
    Stephanie ·

I don't think anyone would get bored and leave! I think this all looks very sensible. My only comment other than repeating what Alexandra says about group photo timing would be just let people know in advance food isn't until 3pm so they have a bigger breakfast.

• H
    Helen ·
    View quoted message
    Thank you for the feedback, that's a good idea. I think we'll include that within our invites! Thank you
  • Charlotte
    Super April 2022 Wiltshire
    Charlotte ·
    I think you will be fine, only thing is I would suggest some snacks as being an early start for some to go to 3pm is a long time without food. You have a good mix of entertainment and it is nice for some people to have some time to stretch legs and freshen up. We have 4 hour gap as there is an hour travel between our venues so are giving snack bags with crisp, biscuits, sweets and a bottle of water
  • H
    Helen ·
    View quoted message
    This is a nice idea. Are you doing these yourselves rather than the venue?
  • Charlotte
    Super April 2022 Wiltshire
    Charlotte ·
    View quoted message
    Yes making our own. Going to Costco and going to buy bulk crisps, nuts, chocolate bars, haribo bags and water. We have got paper lunch bags in our colours from ebay and will have them made up night before and put on a table at the ceremony so people can take with them on journey, or snack while we have our couple pics.
  • H
    Dedicated May 2022
    HappyGoldBridesmaid18836 ·
    I don’t think it will be a problem. I once went to an 11am wedding and the day did drag with long gaps between things BUT the couple hadn’t put on any activities to keep people entertained. There is enough going on through the day with your wedding to avoid this.
    The only things I’d say is that I think I would also agree to flip the couples and group photos over and so the group pics first. Also, arranging some snacks or canapés would be a good idea if your meal isn’t until 3. X
  • Jesshumphriesx
    Curious January 2022 Gloucestershire
    Jesshumphriesx ·
    I got married at 12pm Saturday! Our timings were pretty much the same as yours & 90% of people stayed until the end! I wouldn’t worry
  • PhotographybyBillHaddon
    Expert January 3000 Leicestershire
    PhotographybyBillHaddon ·

Its summer your venue sounds like it has grounds people can walk off the meal - play the games - generally relax. You have plenty of things going on.

I would agree with others to do the groups first. I recommend a time line for you like this.

11am – Ceremony

11:30 – Ceremony ends – caricaturist, cocktail hour and garden games (we are getting married in the grounds of a hotel)

Have some mingling chatting time then groups then the two of you, then back to mingling

2:15 – called to sit

2:45 – first speeches

3.00pm – Meal

4.30pm – Cut the cake

Then final speeches straight after whilst they cut the cake

5:00 – Cake and Coffee

5:30 – Face painter arrives

6:30 – DJ starts

Your ceremony will be done and everyone out by 11.30 not 11.45. A slightly earlier 2.15 call to sit will still result in the speeches starting at 2.45, as every one wants one last wee/fag/drink,

So between cake and coffee and DJ people can relax - play the games, have a walk, check in ?

• Rob
    Beginner August 2022 Gloucestershire
    Rob ·
    I went to a wedding that was over three days (all family and friends stayed in huge mansion house) and it still wasn’t long enough.

Plan looks good to me and it’s awesome that you’ve thought of different things for the guests.
  • Kayleigh
    Dedicated October 2023 Bristol
    Kayleigh ·
    My friend got married at 11am and the day went so fast - I'm also planning an 11am ceremony. It's my wedding day and I want to make the most of the whole da, rather than just the afternoon! X
  • Lucy
    Curious April 2023 Warwickshire
    Lucy ·
    I think 11 will be alright! I would suggest snacks when having the cocktails though! As otherwise people will be drinking on an empty stomach. We are just doing like sausage rolls, scotch egg kind od thing for our nibbles doesnt have to be fancy but just means people arent starving or getting drunk too quickly. Think there will be plenty for people to do.
  • R
    Beginner December 2022 Essex
    Rosie ·

Hi,

I think 11 is fine - its your day so if you're happy with that time then stick to it.

But if you were stressing, we were told when booking our venue that if you aren't happy with the only times available to just try and keep calling to check if any other times become available. Once all slots on that date get booked up they call for another registrar who will have every half hour available also you could might get a cancellation which you could take.

• E
    Beginner July 2022 Surrey
    Emma ·

Hi,
    I think this would all be fine if you are sure to give your guests plenty of food :-D.

My friend went to a wedding recently and they were absolutely starving, they had to sneak off and find food somewhere in the hotel, apparently they could hear other people complaining. So feeding them a lunch and ensuring there's lots of seating around and they should be fine. If you have any relatives who have a long drive you may wish to check with them that they would still be able to make that time, just to be safe. But I'm sure it will all be lovely xxx

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics