Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Gem&Jims Big Day
Beginner October 2015

Help!! Giving notice in a town other than where I live

Gem&Jims Big Day, 31 of December of 2014 at 11:23 Posted on Planning 0 7

Hi Guys

I need your help and expert advice!

I'm originally from Luton but moved to Liverpool in March to be with Jim, my boyfriend who proposed on Christmas Eve!

We know we want a fairly small ceremony in a registry office next year, but I'd like to get married in Luton as ALL of my family are there. Having looked online we both need to be living in the town for a clear 7 days before we give notice there and provide 2 proof of addresses each! Obviously this is putting a dampener on the hope of getting married in Luton as its just not practical. Luckily I can work in the office in Luton however Jims work is in Liverpool so its not so easy for him.

Has anyone else had the same problem - I'm sure people get married outside of where they live all the time without having to move for a week?

Can anyone help?

Lots of love

Gemma (A desperate bride to be)

x

7 replies

Latest activity by Wayne, 24 of August of 2024 at 11:39
  • AnnaMolly
    Beginner October 2015
    AnnaMolly ·
    • Hide content

I'm getting married in Surrey but live in Hertfordshire. We booked our registrar in Surrey through the Surrey office and just gave notice in our home town in Hertfordshire. The documentation will get sent to Surrey when the notice period is complete.

You should be able to do similar, book registrar in Luton and give notice in Liverpool and send on documentation.

• A
    Beginner April 2015
    Aquiescence* ·
    • Hide content

If you are having a civil ceremony in another place, such as a country house or hotel, you can get married wherever you want - you have to contact the registry office of the local area and arrange for an officiant, then you give notice in the registry office of the place where you live. They presumably then pass these details on to the local registry office of where you are getting married.

This is what I am doing - I am booked in to give notice in my local town next week then we will get married in a different county in a few months. I'm not sure if this is the case with registry offices or not - it may be that you can only marry in a registry office where you are resident. If this is the case, why not look ata civil ceremony another venue? It may cost a little more to hire a venue and then pay for the registrar to come out, but it shouldn't cost too much more.

Maybe give the registry office another call (both Luton and Liverpool) and explain a bit more and find out your options x

• M
    Beginner September 2015
    Milly_Bride ·
    • Hide content

We are getting married in a different county to the one we live in - as other's have said it's not too hard although the information online can be confusing! You just need to contact and provisionally book the registrar for where you want to get married (Luton) to make sure that they are available when you want, and then give notice in Liverpool. There are sometimes different timescales to be followed for this so check when you contact the Luton registrar. The Liverpool registry office will just send the information on for you.

Hope that helps!

• I-go-by-many-names
    Super April 2015
    I-go-by-many-names ·
    • Hide content

Getting married in Gateshead, live in Leeds. Gave notice in Leeds last week, they send paperwork to Gateshead. Not an issue as others have said.

• Sam&Louise
    Beginner September 2015
    Sam&Louise ·
    • Hide content

As above, it was the same for us. Just give notice where you live currently Smiley smile

• MrsShep
    Beginner September 2014
    MrsShep ·
    • Hide content

Hi honey, I'm pretty sure its just church weddings that need you to live there. I got married in a different county and as others have said, you just book the registrar where you want to get married, then give notice in the town you live in

• Gem&Jims Big Day
    Beginner October 2015
    Gem&Jims Big Day ·
    • Hide content

Thanks guys! I have taken a big deep breath and feel less panicked! Thanks so much for all your help! X

• Wayne
    Beginner September 2025 Tyne & Wear
    Wayne ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Hi is this still a thing ?
    From Cardiff , live in England . Wanting to have a registy office wedding back home. Have family back home .that are unable to travel.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics