Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

L
Beginner June 2013

Help! Hen Do Ideas Needed Please

lydeep, 26 of November of 2012 at 14:37 Posted on Planning 0 20

Hi All,

I haven't been on hitched for a while so I do apologise if there is already a thread for something like this.

I get married in June 2013 and I am struggling to work out what to do for my hen do. I am not a fan of the big nights out with all the L Plates and Willy Straws, strippers etc. I prefer a wine bar with a couple of drinks kind of thing.

I quite like these houses you can rent but a lot of them seem to be far out from the town and you can only hire them for the week. I have seen some beautiful places with spas built into them but they also cost a fortune.

I am looking at 1 maybe 2 nights depending on cost.

The spa idea I love but I like a 'true' spa not one where you just get the use of the hotel swimming pool and a lot of the spas like this are a distance from the town.

I was just wondering if anyone was doing anything unusual for their hen do? Any suggestions would be greatfully receieved.

?

20 replies

Latest activity by Lemon Violet, 18 of February of 2013 at 16:08
  • *button*
    Beginner August 2012
    *button* ·
    • Hide content

I also didn't want the L Plates type night out. We went for champagne afternoon tea and then a cocktail making masterclass with drinks afterwards.

• Purple*Sparkles
    Beginner June 2013
    Purple*Sparkles ·
    • Hide content

Hi, I don't like clubs or drinking or hangovers!!! I am having a spa weekend at a hotel with a spa, wanted centre parcs but it was too expensive.....We are going for one night, going for a meal the next night and a secret adventure thing on the sunday. So it's a mixed weekend for me.....not sure I should be doing the relaxing bit first tho!!!!

• idapod
    idapod ·
    • Hide content

Oh well congratulations when I got engaged I had a party my mates rented a venue and it was fun family and friends we had a photo booth my mates chipped in and hire one and everyone got free photos, this was before I opened a photo booth company. try thinking out of the box im sure you will think of something which isnt fuelled filled what maybe cheesy in some people eyes! Hope that helped hun Smiley smile

Darcy Ida

• fishface
    Beginner October 2017
    fishface ·
    • Hide content

I quite like the idea of something a little different as well. I am not really one for the cliche'd rowdy night out and definitely not for the morning after! I had an idea of a long weekend at Centre Parcs with all my female friends and family hiring out one of the tree houses. They have so many activities and eateries and of course, you can BYOB! Plus I think the pool is open till around 10, depending on season.

Chances are ill probably get a little drunk and run around the woods, but it will make for some great pictures in that setting!

xx

• mariannechuaphotography
    mariannechuaphotography ·
    • Hide content

My friend had afternoon tea which was lovely. Personally I am going white water rafting, regardless of how many of my friends like it or not!!!

• L
    Beginner August 2013
    lejames82 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Hi,

Can I also ask for ideas please, I desperately want to go either coasteering, surfing or white water rafting but at the same time want to be staying in a house rather than a hotel with access to a town big enough for a reasonable dinner and night out.

Does anyone have any suggestions of places that offer that sort of combination?

Any suggestions greatly received.

Thanks very much

Lauren

• J
    Beginner August 2013
    Jessie_bride ·
    • Hide content

Hi,

Not sure where you're based but you could go to Bath and you can book a private area of the spa there? You can also get an apartment if you want the self catering aspect.

HTH

• kizzi10000
    Beginner August 2016
    kizzi10000 ·
    • Hide content

I've got plenty of time to think over what to do, but second time round/not having many friends/feeling too old for the rowdy night out/not being able to tolerate the effects like I used to, I'm going for the low key option.

We'll have most people at the accommodation during the afternoon before, including the men, so thinking of a spa evening at 'home' - mobile fish pedicure, nails, facials, massage, fizzy wine etc. Maybe a few very close people to come on a joint hen/stag afternoon zorbing, as that's where I was taken as a surprise when we first met - met online, first time in person a few weeks later for a meal on Friday, then zorbing on the Saturday. Couldn't stop grinning ?

I want to inolve as many family and close friends as possible as it's far from the last night of freedom thing for us, having both been married before. Though I'm sure the OH will get dragged out by his mates at some point - which I'd really rather not see lol

• LotBot
    Beginner March 2015
    LotBot ·
    • Hide content

I'm planning a hen weekend with my closest friends, bridesmaids and mum. I want to go quad biking and then to a spa for a relax and pamper followed by girly night with wine, take away and a good chick flick Smiley smile

We're going to stay in my local area but go to a centre parks type resort with individual lodges called Bluestone, which is in Pembrokeshire, Wales. A gorgeous area that I love! It also has a spa and a few restaurants and bars.

I'm also a keen horse rider so will go for a good gallop along the beach with my mum, sister and other horsey friends Smiley smile

**Brides that are planning an adventurous activity, please think about doing it at least 6weeks before the wedding to allow for any bones to heal! Not something you want to happen, but is still possible! **

• mariannechuaphotography
    mariannechuaphotography ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Hi Lauren, For rafting and things like go ape/paintballing, I would rec Nottingham as basically it has the national water sports centre, a lot of foresty activities, but a good night out on the town. If you want surfing and coasteering, the only places I've been personally are St Davids (no night out there) and Newquay (potentially lots of insanely wasted teenagers, avoid unless you're particularly young at heart!) There probably are others but those are the only places I've experienced myself!

• leni-lw!
    Beginner November 2011
    leni-lw! ·
    • Hide content

I also had a champagne afternoon tea hen do and loved it Smiley smile

another fan of bluestone here- totally love it and it's much cheaper than centre parcs

• S
    Beginner September 2013
    Snc12 ·
    • Hide content

For my friends hen do we hired a cottage in the lakes for the weekend (2 nights) and they were in the process of building a spa. Had space for aboutt 15 hens to sleep. Was great Smiley smile x

• L
    Lemon Violet ·
    • Hide content

Hi,

We went to Stylemequirky in London for my daughter`s hen night. It was great fun. They styled us in evening gowns, did our hair and makeup, and then had a big photoshoot. It was fantastic. Well worth talking to them.

Lynne

• Maldives2013
    Beginner December 2013
    Maldives2013 ·
    • Hide content

I am looking at the lakes, what was the place called you stayed at sounds perfect?! Thanks x

• Maldives2013
    Beginner December 2013
    Maldives2013 ·
    • Hide content

I am looking at the lakes, what was the place called you stayed at sounds perfect?! Thanks x

• Kentish Gal
    Beginner July 2013
    Kentish Gal ·
    • Hide content

My stipulations were that it wasn't away (too many folk have kids and jobs etc) and wouldn't cost anyone too much. We're getting Team Bride together this weekend to sort this, but our (perhaps boring) preference currently is to have a meal in the afternoon for family and very best friends, and then a hall from tea-time, a pub quiz (with some silly/saucy rounds thrown in, and some forfeits etc) followed by food, disco and karaoke. I don't want to be going 'outside' anywhere, having to traipse between places.

• L
    Beginner June 2013
    lydeep ·
    • Hide content

HI Ladies,

Sorry I havent responded sooner. Thank you all for your suggestions, there are some interesting ones.

In the end I settled with having a Fake That night at a hotel which included dinner bed and breakfast and use of the spa facilities for a steal of a price.

I was getting so stressed about where we were going to go and the logisitics that it made sense to be in one place and if people want to go to bed early they can jump in the lift rather than a taxi.

Hoping to do a afternoon tea on the way back home.

The bridesmaids have already been warned about the willy straws and L Plates so I hope I won't be seeing those on the night!!!

Hope you all enjoy your hen dos xx

• Katie V
    Katie V ·
    • Hide content

I've started doing Fascinator Making Hen Parties if you were interested at all: http://www.katievaledesigns.com/blog/2012/07/fascinator-making-hen-parties/

x

• L
    Lemon Violet ·
    • Hide content

Hi,

One of my daughters went to the races and then to a tudor banquet. The other went to Stylemequirky in London where they did your hair, makeup and dressed you and then did a photoshoot. Both were excellent hen do`s.

Lynne

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics