Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

A
Beginner July 2011

Help! I forgot to confirm the provisional booking of the registrar

annaks, 8 January, 2011 at 22:24 Posted on Planning 0 8

This is my first post, and unfortunately I'm posting in rather a panic.

I'm getting married on 30 July this year in a civil venue in Oxford. I booked the registrar in March last year when we set the set and was told that the booking was provisional until we presented our Certificates for Marriage from the district where we live (we do not live in Oxford). We couldn't get the certificates until it was year until the wedding and were asked to present them to confirm the booking by the end of August (i.e. we had a one month window). We got the certificates but I stupidly did nothing with them, i.e. I haven't confirmed our provision booking!

The email talks about it being essential that we confirm the booking in the specified timeframe and to let them know if we can't so we don't lose the provisional booking. I've been really organised about everything else, I don't know how I forgot about this. I realised tonight when I looked back through my emails.

The Registrar office in Oxford has not been in touch we with me to say that they were cancelling my booking as I have not confirmed it, so all I can do is ring them first thing on Monday and hope that a registrar is still available. Can anyone offer me any reassurances?

8 replies

Latest activity by tinks269, 11 January, 2011 at 07:46
  • M
    Beginner April 2011
    mrsrh* ·
    • Hide content

Fingers crossed it's all ok, although it wouldn't be down to the registrar to contact you so they may have taken your not confirming your booking as you no longer needing or wanting that date & time. Unfortunately, that's the way places work. Hope you manage to get it all sorted out!!

• M
    Beginner May 2011
    MrsB2B2805 ·
    • Hide content

Hi Annaks

Saw your message and I'm in the same position. Live in London but getting married in Oxford (where I grew up) in May.

We went to out local registrar and got our intention to marry sorted and were told by our local registrar that Oxford can see the conifmration on their system and not to worry about sending the paper copy through straightaway. My fiance spoke to the Oxford office and they said the same thing again. This was back in July/ August I think and haven't heard anything from them. Surely they'd get in touch before cancelling a provisional booking? Hope so

I have started to worry a bit that maybe we haven't got our booking confirmed either so will be sending mine in anayway ASAP. Be interested to hear what they say to you on Monday!

Good luck

• LoveSka
    Beginner October 2011
    LoveSka ·
    • Hide content

Try not to panic, as you say there's nothing that you can do until Monday.

If the worst happens there are always other options, , , , Chin up and try to chill until Monday, , , ,

xx

• RayeRaye84
    Beginner
    RayeRaye84 ·
    • Hide content

Hi,

Sorry to hear that you are in a panic.

I think you'll be ok though....i provisionally booked a registrar for my Church Wedding (non CofE). They said they would contact me for the payment and to confirm the booking. 3 months later (last week!) i found out that my church had an official registrar and i didnt need to hire one from the local council so i then had to cancel the one i provisonally booked and despite not paying a deposit or calling back to confirm the booking in 3 months, they still had my slot booked! i think they would have contacted you if they had to release your booking.

I say call on Monday, but i'm sure that everything will be fine!

x

• A
    Beginner July 2011
    annaks ·
    • Hide content

Thanks to everyone for their words of reassurance. Fingers crossed everything will be okay when I ring first thing on Monday. MrsB2B2805 - now that you said about Oxford being able to see the notice on their system, that rings a bell with me. We registered at Fulham Town Hall - how about you?

• tinks269
    Beginner February 2011
    tinks269 ·
    • Hide content

I booked the registra exactly a year before the date I wanted and then did nothing for ages. Thats not strictly true I did lots just nothing to do with them. I too suddenly panicked and realised that they had no idea that we were still getting married (we too are getting married in a different area from where we live). I phoned them up in a bit of a panic only to be told not to worry I was still pencilled in and once we gave notice this provisional booking would turn into a def one. Don't worry am sure it will be fine.

• May2be
    Beginner July 2011
    May2be ·
    • Hide content

I would try not too worry too much. When we gave notice we were told that if we were giving notice at the same time as each other and in the same district that all our information would automatically be passed on and that we didn't need to do anything else until our payment was due. I think it is only if you live in different districts and therefore have to give notice in two different places that you are responsible for passing the notices on. Call them monday to be sure but I am sure all is fine Smiley smile

• A
    Beginner July 2011
    annaks ·
    • Hide content

Turned out that I needn't have been in panic in the end! My booking was confirmed as soon as we gave notice in London, as the Oxford Registry was notified automatically. I do need to send them the certificates though.

I actually had a letter of confirmation from them which came through after I had given them notice but this only occurred to me once I'd been in a panic for a day. I felt like such an idiot.

I'm not a forgetful person and I thought I was being really organised, but I'm now going to do a timetable of when I need to do everything and by when.

Thanks for all the reassuring messages - they were much appreciated. ?

XX

• tinks269
    Beginner February 2011
    tinks269 ·
    • Hide content

Glad it is all ok. x

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics