Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

E
Beginner September 2014

HELP! I need a Very Informal Wedding venue!!

EllyWellyBabyBelly, 12 of October of 2013 at 12:14 Posted on Planning 0 10

HI! ME and my partner are planning our wedding in september 2014. I want something very simple and relaxed, I am dreaming of a fun, relaxed day to enjoy with our 3 children and our newborn baby due in april 2014. I am thinking big garden, bouncy castle for the kids, music, running around, eating nice food that's not pretentious, no formal stuff if you know what i mean...

The only problem i have encountered so far is that all venues seem so posh, like sumptous manors, castles, overly decorated rooms....it's so not our style and budget! we have 4 grand put away for our big day and surely you can get something decent with it but i can't seem to find anything up to my standards...

any suggestions?

thanks!!! Smiley smile

10 replies

Latest activity by Peter, 13 of October of 2013 at 15:09
  • Icklefee
    Super May 2014
    Icklefee ·
    • Hide content

Where in the country are you so we can narrow it down?

• Sam&Louise
    Beginner September 2015
    Sam&Louise ·
    • Hide content

Definitely let us know where you are or what areas you're happy to consider. I can think of a few places in Essex that sound like they'd be perfect for you Smiley smile

• Kentish Gal
    Beginner July 2013
    Kentish Gal ·
    • Hide content

We used a village hall that had its own green and a little play park. And we could do anything we wanted Smiley smile

• Mrs Monkey
    Beginner July 2013
    Mrs Monkey ·
    • Hide content

I don't know where you're from or how far you're willing to travel but we got married near Dartmouth. We rode the steam train to a closed train station where we had our ceremony, then rode the train back to Kingswear, to the boat, for a cruise up the river Dart. It was really relaxing and didn't feel like a wedding.

They tweaked the posh food menu for us, so we had salad, sausages, buns and vegetable kebabs. That knocked the price down a lot. Plus we went for the smaller boat which cost lest (though oddly they contacted me two days before to say we could upgrade to the large one with nothing extra to pay!)

If you're interested the website is http://www.dartmouthweddings.co.uk/

• *Pugsley*
    Beginner March 2014
    *Pugsley* ·
    • Hide content

A village hall or something similar which you could hire would be good. Then it's a blank canvas to design yourself.

Or something like a cricket club?

• alabastamasta
    Beginner May 2014
    alabastamasta ·
    • Hide content

Another vote for village hall here!

• alabastamasta
    Beginner May 2014
    alabastamasta ·
    • Hide content

Another vote for village hall here!

• kharding2014
    Beginner October 2014
    kharding2014 ·
    • Hide content

I'm not sure where you are based but Larmer tree gardens is beautiful and very relaxed. x

• Alisha.B
    Expert April 2022
    Alisha.B ·
    • Hide content

Registry offices maybe... I know some are posher than others but ours is about as 'tacky' and definitely informal as they come (looks like my granny's old living room complete with sticky multi patterned carpet, 70s floral wall paper and over use of car boot sale pictures)

some registry's are less tacky but still relaxed and nice, there's a one a few cities away from us set in a big old stately style home building but you can get married in the huge glass conservatory (complete with flowers and plants) that looks lovely from pictures

depends over all by whats informal too you though, some country pubs may offer weddings and have a nice relaxed feel to them

for reception:

any hall could work

or working clubs

or cricket clubs etc...

if you can find a country pub it could work as both

good luck

• R
    Beginner August 2014
    RLB ·
    • Hide content

As other have said, knowing where you are located would mean we could help with the search better. My cousin got married in a room in the grounds of Ludlow Castle, then had the reception in the rugby club there - with a bouncy castle and the whole pitch for the children to run around. They had a buffet,and the bar area had French doors open, so in the reception area/entrance corridor there was a chocolate fountain. I'm guessing, with the planning being for September, a Cricket club may be more readily available than a rugby (rugby season is in full flow whereas I think the cricket season has ended), but check if they can have bouncy castles before booking as most probably won't allow it on the playing pitch

• Peter
    Peter ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

^^^^^This^^^^^^

And welcome to the forum....

Peter

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics