Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

S
Beginner June 2012

Help - Ideas for a very small wedding please

sjp123, 4 April, 2012 at 08:57 Posted on Planning 0 8

Hi everyone,

Hope you can help me, my partner and I want to get married in June/July this year and we just want to have a very small wedding - just ourselves and 2 witnesses. My partner’s family is complicated, to say the least so he doesn't want to invite them so we have decided on a small do.

We thought maybe a registry office (or hotel) for the service then lunch and a few drinks afterwards with our witnesses - does anyone know of anywhere in Edinburgh that would cater for such small numbers.

I still want to have a nice dress so would feel a bit silly going into a standard restaurant for a meal after the service and would prefer somewhere a bit more private...any ideas would be very very gratefully received.

Thanks

?

xx

8 replies

Latest activity by celticgoddess, 7 April, 2012 at 13:53
  • hopkins78
    Beginner November 2011
    hopkins78 ·
    • Hide content

Hi!

I am so excited for you - Edinburgh is my favourite city!

The Witchery, on the Royal Mile. https://www.thewitchery.com/Private-Dining-Dining.html We have had a meal there and to say it is stunning is an understatement. It truly has the WOW factor but is on the expensive side. Also, their private dining rooms are quite big. Worth a look though. They also do accommodation - the rooms are jaw dropping amazing!

Prestonfield House. https://www.prestonfield.com/PrivateDiningIntro.html Another stunning venue and you can get married there. We considered it for our wedding. They have various private dining rooms some smaller than others. Again, they do accommodation.

Both venues are steeped in history and elegance on a high level!

Hope I've helped! x

• 2b_MrsB
    Beginner June 2013
    2b_MrsB ·
    • Hide content

Sorry I can't help with any venue advice but ..

I did what you are planning for my first "wedding" 12 years ago and we also did it due to avoiding family complications, but looking back I regret having done it that way as we were so concerned over the "problem family members" that we hadn't really considered other members of the family including extended family and friends who were sad and disappointed that they hadn't been able to celebrate the most important day of our lives with us ( although most understood our reasons ) I hadn't considered how I would feel about their disappointment. Looking back, my main regret was that despite the nice clothes etc and lovely meal with our witnesses, I only ever felt like I had got married not that I had a wedding. Organising my wedding this time is proving to re- enforce that feeling.

I will also say that, one of my OH's cousins had a RO wedding with just their witnesses but had a garden party with a hog roast on the weekend after their ceremony and they have no regrets having done it "their way", we had a lovely time celebrating with them too.

I hope you don't find this rude in any way as this is not my intention and I don't presume that my family complications then are the same as yours now, but just thought my experience might give you food for thought so to speak.

The very best of luck with all your plans and your big day

Regards

L x

• S
    Beginner June 2012
    sjp123 ·
    • Hide content

Thanks very much I'll have a look

xx

• S
    Beginner June 2012
    sjp123 ·
    • Hide content

Hi,

Thanks - i do feel a bit that way myself as I would love to have a bigger do with family and friends all there, but my OH is non-negogible on it unfortunetly.

So I have a feeling that we have a small service or nothing... pretty sad but I can understand why he is wary of his family attending.

Hopefully we will have a nice time whatever we do and the most important thing is that we will be togther.

Thanks again

xx

• ebony_rose
    Genius
    ebony_rose ·
    • Hide content

Can't help with details, as I don't live in your area. But I got married with just 2 witnesses and my 2 sons there. We got married in a register office, and went for a meal afterwards, was fab.

We did it like this, as the only thing we wanted from our wedding, was to be married. That's the whole point, right?

You can have a big dress, cake, flowers etc etc, but you still get the same result at the end of it.

I didn't have a traditional dress, I wore a dress I can wear again and again. I made my own cake, as my H wanted cake. I didn't have flowers, which my friend was disgusted with, so she made me a brooch bouquet.

Our wedding came to less than £500, yet it was a fantastic day.

• S
    Beginner June 2012
    sjp123 ·
    • Hide content

Thanks its good to hear that someone has had a similar wedding and had a great day

xx

• hopkins78
    Beginner November 2011
    hopkins78 ·
    • Hide content

My Uncle got married in Edinburgh with just my grandparents acting as witnesses. They then had a meal and a party at a later date which family and close friends attended, I think there was about 25/30 of us. They did it their way which was fantastic and no-one felt 'put out' by not being involved in the ceremony purely because we love them and respected their wishes! Maybe you can persuade your OH to have something similar (a BBQ at home for example) at a later date for your side of the family and friends?

• celticgoddess
    Beginner March 2012
    celticgoddess ·
    • Hide content

I got married in Park Circus, Glasgow, just last week. We had 2 witnesses and then went to The Sisters Restaurant afterwards, they had a private booth we used. Our wedding was fab, intimate, and was about us. We have 4 children between us and it was a very difficult decision not to have them there. We are having a post wedding party in 3 weeks for all our family and friend, and I get to wear my dress again! Have your wedding the way you want it. I don't have any regrets about our ceremony. It was beautiful.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics