Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

V
Beginner December 2012

HELP - I'm trying to figure out a winter wedding timeline!

V&AKent, 28 April, 2012 at 09:24 Posted on Planning 0 7

He everyone, I'm new to Hitched and I'm looking for help.

My H2B and I are planning a mid-December wedding and the timeline for the day is proving to be a real headache. It's going to start getting dark at 3.30 and will be pitch black at 4pm, we need to figure out when to start the ceremony so that we can have photos in the light.

The ceremony and reception are in the same place, but we might go off site for couple photos (2 mins away in the car as the village centre is fabulous - Chilham, Kent). My H2B says that he wants to observe the tradition of not seeing the bride before the ceremony, which I respect, but it's making planning really tricky! Another problem is that having an early ceremony (to get the light) means that we'll have 12 hours to feed, water and entertain guests! I'm not sure how to do this and whether our guests will want such a long party, oh mother, it's not easy!

Has anyone else had the same problem? Did you go for first-look photos or after dark photos? Does anyone have their timeline they could send me? Did it work and what would you change?

Thanks for any advice!!

Vicky

7 replies

Latest activity by princesssaraht, 28 April, 2012 at 20:55
  • *Funky*
    Beginner January 2001
    *Funky* ·
    • Hide content

If you are pushed for daylight hours you could alway do a post wedding shoot or 'trash the dress' type affair.??

• Simon and Alison
    Beginner
    Simon and Alison ·
    • Hide content

Hi Vicky,

What time are you thinking of having your ceremony? A civil ceremony usually takes 30 minutes max, so even a 1pm ceremony would give you plenty of time for your photos - if you're thinking of earlier in the day then I'm sure your guests will be fine. We covered a wedding last year with a 10:30am ceremony, and all the guests were still going strong at the evening reception! An early ceremony may give you some longer "gaps" between key parts of the day, but it also gives your guests time to freshen up and to check in to their hotels etc.

Hope that helps a bit!

Ali x

• vicster
    Beginner December 2011
    vicster ·
    • Hide content

We got married NYE so had slightly more time to play with. 4pm ceremony but I got there at 3.40 and did the first look type thing. All other photos were taken indoors afterwards. We ate at 6, evening guests arrived at 8pm.

That said, I think now I would change it slightly to 3.30pm ceremony (photos at 3pm), dinner at 5.30 and evening guests arriving at 8pm. I wouldn't let the light dominate decisions too much - strong possibility of bad weather anyway meaning outside photos are difficult.

• T
    Beginner December 2012
    tillydent ·
    • Hide content

Hi, I am getting married on the 2nd December this year, i spose knowing it was a winter wedding I was not thinking too much about the light and weather but we are like you and getting married in the same place as the ceromony. Our wedding is booked for 2.30 so hoping to be around 30 minutes and then having drinks reception from 3pm. if its nice we can have photos outside but thinking in december the chances are slim and i wanted a lateish wedding. our dinner is for 5pm evening guests 7.30/8 pm.

I am sure whatever you do will be fine

• V
    Beginner December 2012
    V&AKent ·
    • Hide content

Thanks, that's really helpful, I think we may err on the later side and plan for more indoor pictures! If the weather is good then any outdoor pictures will be a bonus!

• 2b_MrsB
    Beginner June 2013
    2b_MrsB ·
    • Hide content

Hi and welcome to hitched ?

Even if you have a 2pm ceremony (30mins) you'd still have an hour of daylight to get some photos, then you could start your meal and speeches about 4.30 until 6.30pm. Presuming you need to allow time for a room change and evening entertainment set-up, You'd be looking at 7-7.30pm for evening guests arriving then your first dance from there, evening buffet around 9pm (ish)..

Hope this helps

Regards

L x

• Peter
    Peter ·
    • Hide content

Any group shots are often completed more swiftly outside and can offer more background options. All the group shots being done in the same setting indoors can often be quite repetitive.

If you can arrange a time to allow for some daylight photography outside, I would strongly recommend it, specifically as it can help set your venue location off well.

That all said, there is no reason why not to do some additional photography indoors once the light fades outside.

Peter

• princesssaraht
    Beginner December 2012
    princesssaraht ·
    • Hide content

Hi!

Our wedding is on the 8th of December at 12pm - we had worried about it being a looonnngg day but most people are looking forward to having more time to celebrate with us!

Our wedding is at a church, so we wont get to the reception venue until 1.30-2pm, our photographer said this should be plenty of time for pictures outside before the light goes, and we have a lovely venue so opportunity for photos inside too.

We are having a wedding breakfast at about 3.30-4pm, then an evening buffet (sandwiches, chips etc) at about 8.30pm

Hope this helps Smiley smile

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics