Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Fern
Beginner August 2023 Mid Glamorgan

Help! Inviting to ceremony and wedding breakfast?

Fern, 25 of January of 2022 at 18:38 Posted on Planning 0 11
Hi! So basically me and my fiancé are planning our wedding and are on a super low budget, we had an idea to invite people to the ceremony and the reception but only close family (parents and grand parents, MOH and BM) to the wedding breakfast due to the cost.
But my MOH doesn’t know if it’s a good idea? Can I have some help please - any advice will be much appreciated thanks in advance!

11 replies

Latest activity by Lisa, 29 of January of 2022 at 07:54
  • Charlotte
    VIP April 2022 Wiltshire
    Charlotte ·
    • Hide content
    I would agree with your MOH am afraid. As a guest I would find it a bid odd to go th a ceremony and reception party but not the middle bit of the meal.
    Maybe you could look at having a late afternoon ceremony and then not have an actual meal and just cater for the evening as this will be way cheaper and you can have everyone you want at the ceremony
  • Fern
    Fern ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thanks so much I never thought of that, will definitely consider this!
  • R
    VIP July 2020 Monmouthshire
    RomanticGreenStationery27135 ·
    • Hide content

I've been invited to a couple of weddings where the majority have been invited to the ceremony and evening reception but not the formal meal in between.

It can work if all your guests are local, since they can go home in between. But if people are travelling up for the day, it can leave them killing time for several hours. I wouldn't consider accepting a ceremony & evening do only invite unless I lived very near the venue.

As Charolotte suggests, I would have a late ceremony and go straight into the evening reception, to which everyone is invited. If you want to spend more time with your close family, you can always meet up with them for an early lunch before getting ready for the wedding.

• Fern
    Fern ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Yeah some are travelling from England which is a few hours away. I really like that idea! And helps saves money
  • Leonie
    Savvy June 2022 Kent
    Leonie ·
    • Hide content

I definitely wouldn't invite people to the ceremony if they cannot attend the wedding breakfast. We just chose to have a very small ceremony to cut the cost of wedding breakfast. Only having very close family and friends for the ceremony and then having more people for the reception. We decided this was a better way of cutting costs than to make it complicated. x

• L
    Beginner September 2022 Oxfordshire
    Laura ·
    • Hide content

We are also on a small budget. To keep everyone happy, only two witnesses at the registry office and then a great big party for everyone. So much cheaper than, a wedding venue, then a wedding breakfast, then an evening do.
    Honestly, don't listen to what others say that is right or wrong, it is your day!! Take on ideas and be brave but be yourselves x

• L
    Beginner September 2022 Oxfordshire
    Laura ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I've just suggested a similar idea, we are doing this

• PhotographybyBillHaddon
    Super January 3000 Leicestershire
    PhotographybyBillHaddon ·
    • Hide content

It could be easier to do it if the ceremony and wedding breakfast are being heald at different locations - rather having a ceremony then telling people they now have to leave.

What about doing it this way.

Invite them to the evening only BUT to tell them they are very welcome to come and watch you get married and they can stay and have a few drinks and be in the photos too.

• E
    Savvy April 2022 Essex
    Emma ·
    • Hide content
    I’ll be honest. I am usually the type to say that it’s YOUR wedding and you should do what you want. But I think inviting people to the ceremony and evening but then telling them not to attend the middle part is very strange. I’d go for a smaller ceremony with only the people you want for the wedding breakfast.
  • E
    Savvy April 2022 Essex
    Emma ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    This is a good idea!
  • L
    Rockstar July 2023 Greater Manchester
    Lisa ·
    • Hide content
    Just as a thought for another option, if you decide to keep your ceremony small & to the same number of your wedding breakfast, you could maybe live stream the ceremony, if you’re allowed to at the venue & you wanted to, of course Smiley smile

It’s not something for me, but someone suggested it to me recently as we’re having what they considered to be a “small” wedding, so may be worth a thought.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics