Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Funkyem
Beginner September 2010

HELP! Kent wedding and reception venue required

Funkyem, 23 March, 2010 at 16:30 Posted on Planning 0 15

Hi everyone, I hope someone can help us.

We are looking for a hall/barn to have our reception in Kent or South East coast.

We would like to bring in our own catering in the form of a Hog Roast but also run our own bar with honey beer and the like.

As is usually the way we are trying to do all this on a tight(ish) budget.

Initially we wanted to have the ceremony and reception in the same venue but have now decided we would be happy to find two separate venues.

We are based in Bromley, Kent but have family in Borough Green, Rye and Brighton so anywhere in these areas would be great.

Brides wants: Pretty, countryside location or seafront. No sports clubs.
Grooms wants: Facility to have own bar, hog roast and live band.

Any ideas?

Can't wait to see what replies I get.

Funkyem

15 replies

Latest activity by Funkyem, 1 June, 2010 at 11:27
  • Stazzle
    Stazzle ·
    • Hide content

Not sure if it meets your requirements 100% but can recommend our venue - Cooling Castle Barn in Rochester: https://www.coolingcastlebarn.com/

Hope you find something you both love either way!

• Lola88
    Beginner August 2011
    Lola88 ·
    • Hide content

Have you looked at the High Rocks? Its Tonbridge way, you can get married and have evening do there. Its got several different rooms, but there is one bit which is a barn which has been done out, and has a bar in it.

I'm not sure of feasibility in terms of Hog Roast, as we were looking to get them to cater when we went to look round, but it might be worth looking to see if they can do it. We didn't end up going with it, but it was a beautiful place.

It's in the middle of the country side, and you get access to the 'high' rocks (really pretty but also huge rock/cliffs) which seem to make amazing photographs. There is also a railway line for which you can hire a steam train to bring the bride in and/or take guests on if you want to.

HTH, Laura xxx

• Funkyem
    Beginner September 2010
    Funkyem ·
    • Hide content

Hi ladies,

Thanks for your replies.

Cooling Castle was one of the first websites I looked at. A friend of mine got married there a few years ago and another friend has booked it for her wedding in October. If we exhaust all other avenues then I will try and convince my fiance to consider it although I suspect he'll think its too expensive.

We have looked at High Rocks and I absolutely loved it but they don't allow Hog Roast or to run your own bar. If we can't find anywhere suitable that meets all our joint requirements I have a feeling (fingers crossed) that I will be arrival to the ceremony by steam train :-)

If anyone knows of any town halls that are in a pretty but accessible village or an unusual venue that doesn't necessarily advertise as doing weddings then these ideas will be gratefully received.

Funkyem

• A
    apuskidu ·
    • Hide content

Hi Funkyem,

My sister got married last August in Swarling Manor, which is about 15mins south of Canterbury - it's a barn-type venue in a beautiful valley, with lovely grounds (there's a manor house there as well but it isn't used for the weddings). The grounds were utterly beautiful, and the setting was so peaceful. They didn't have a hog roast, but it looked like the kind of place that would let you. You can get married in the barn, but a lot of people like my sister chose to get married outside - the official lines of the ceremony take place under a little bower. It was really lovely. I think it was cheaper than Cooling Castle but I don't really know. Website is here: http://www.swarlingmanor.com/

Hope you find something you like!

• A
    apuskidu ·
    • Hide content

Oh and forgot to say, they had a marquee set up with a bar all set up in there, seemed pretty flexible, you can prob order in what you like. There's a planner who helps you get it all organised and you can discuss all the options with her.

• N
    nicolarussillroy ·
    • Hide content

Hi There!

Your post jumped out at me as i am Kent based so thought i would drop you a line! I was just wanted to recommend a really good photographer if you havent yet got one booked. I discovered a fabulous Kent based wedding photographer called Jonathan Ryan, his website is www.weddingsbyryan.com. He is based in Canterbury, and has a gallery that you can visit (by appointment earlier) to visit him and see examples of his work.

He is extremely friendly, i felt at ease the moment i met with him, and what is even better is for any couples getting married this year he is offering a free pre-wedding photo shoot worth 250GBP with all bookings!

Anyway just thought i would mention him in case you were looking for a photographer!

Good luck with all your wedding planning x

• spaceychick
    spaceychick ·
    • Hide content

Not sure if they still do this, but used to! Ringleston Farm (or inn?) near Maidstone. we stayed there a few years ago & we thought it would be great for your type of wedding.

• H
    Beginner December 2010
    Han85 ·
    • Hide content

The only place i can think of which i believe allow you to bring in own catering is Preston Court - its a fairly new wedding venue i believe

www.prestoncourt.co.uk

• Foddette
    Beginner March 2010
    Foddette ·
    • Hide content

Hi Funkyem. We got married at Cooling Castle just over 2 weeks ago (time flies when you're trying to catch up with washing your clothes & opening presents!).

It's not that expensive all in. We had 50 guests for the ceremony & reception & then you pay for up to an extra 160 in the evening. Including food (which they can do a Hog Roast, we had the BBQ buffet & it was gorgeous, everyone commented on how well it was all cooked), DJ, cake, drink with the meal, etc it all came to £5k.

• Funkyem
    Beginner September 2010
    Funkyem ·
    • Hide content

Wow thanks everyone

Swarling Manor looks lovely but my fiance doesn't like marquees.

I love the idea of Ringlestone Farm but can't find anything about it online. Perhaps a nice drive out is needed.

Preston Court I have already emailed and I'm waiting to hear back about hire charges.

I may have to push Cooling Castle at my fiance again as well. It was one of the first that I liked.

This is hard work!

• RubyCheeksandPeachyLips
    RubyCheeksandPeachyLips ·
    • Hide content

Hi there,

Here are a few

Farthingloe Farm, Nr Dover

Ratsbury Barn , Tenterden

Old Kent Barn , Swingfield

The Great Barn , not sure where in Kent it is.

Hope this helps x

Katie

Ruby Cheeks and Peachy Lips

• G
    Beginner July 2010
    Gwyn4940 ·
    • Hide content

Hi Funkyem,

Have you had a look at The Court Lodge? https://www.thecourtlodge.co.uk/venue.asp

It is not licenced so you would have to get married elsewhere but it looks lovely for a reception annd is not too far for you.

I am getting married at Cooling as well and it is gorgeous but doesn't allow for organising your own catering etc.

Keep us updated on what you decide!

Gwyn

• froggy29400
    Beginner October 2010
    froggy29400 ·
    • Hide content

I suggest Mountains Country House http://www.mountainsevents.co.uk/ I know one of the events organisers (Shirley), she is lovely! I'm borrowing lots of her stuff for our wedding in Somerset.

Otherwise my MIL2B's back garden ? where we had weddings in a marquee before!

• Funkyem
    Beginner September 2010
    Funkyem ·
    • Hide content

Well, after much searching we have found our venue.

We took my Mum out to lunch to The Moat in Wrotham for her birthday and noticed they did weddings in a barn attached to the pub. It isn't advertised online and they are currently refurbishing the room. The pictures in the small brochure they had in the pub looked just like all those beautiful big old barns that we can't afford. So I called them from work to get a quote and was amazed at how reasonably priced it was. I am now a very happy little bride to be with a date set (at last)! On 4th September this year we'll be tying the knot.

I found my dress in a vintage dress shop on Carnaby Street so now all the other hard work starts!

• RubyCheeksandPeachyLips
    RubyCheeksandPeachyLips ·
    • Hide content

How lovely. Glad your a happy bride. We need a picture of the dress though or is there one already up?

Katie

Ruby Cheeks and Peachy Lips

• Funkyem
    Beginner September 2010
    Funkyem ·
    • Hide content

Hi, I've just changed my profile picture to be a pic of the dress. There are some adjustments to me made (neckline changed, back lowered, huge petticoat to be added) but it was fate. It is an original 1950s American prom dress and fits almost perfectly (except for the bust but that is the story of my life).

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics