Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

C
Beginner May 2016

HELP!! Limited Budget with too many people!

Clazu61, 28 of February of 2015 at 10:14 Posted on Planning 0 20

Hello All,

I wonder if you wonderful Ladies and Gentlemen could help me? I'm on a very tight budget of £5,000 for my wedding, which I am hoping to have next year. I could possibly go over by £1,000, but that would include the whole wedding (dress, accessories, invites, etc)! My problem is that I have cut my list down and down and down and have cut it down to 67 day guests... (My original list was 160)!

All venues i have looked at by me (South Wales) charge around £5,000+ for this amount of people (catering included... they don't accept outside catering). At this rate I am looking to either postpone my wedding (something I really, really don't want to do) or go abroad, which I am open for, but would love all my family to be there and know that some of my friends and family wouldn't be able to afford it and don't want to put that pressure on the ones that could.

Does anybody have any ideas for me to look into please?

Regards,

Claire

20 replies

Latest activity by Mrslh2b, 2 of March of 2015 at 12:26
  • G
    Beginner July 2015
    GeorgieBird ·
    • Hide content

Have you tried the voucher sites like Groupon or Wowcher? They often have some really good wedding deals on there and not just for the venue - I found my photographer there at a bargain price Smiley smile You could also look at local venues to hire like village halls/cricket clubs and bring in your own catering to keep the costs down. I went to an amazing wedding last summer with a Great British Bake-Off theme, they got married in the local church and then went to the village hall for the reception - buffet for mains and for pudding everyone brought a cake with them and the winner was crowned Star Baker! V. v. cheap and brilliant fun Smiley smile

• C
    Beginner May 2016
    Clazu61 ·
    • Hide content

Thank you for your comment, I've looked on Groupon venue wise, but there isn't anything I'm particularly interested in or stands out, or anything even remotely near me. Perhaps I'm being too snobby, but really wanted something 'special' as Im only planning to do this once. I'm having a village hall hired out this year for my birthday, so won't seem that different. I would like it to be something I couldn't or wouldn't usually do, something that would stand out.

Like I say though, perhaps I'm being too snobby and should just settle for less than I was expecting ?.

• C
    Beginner June 2016
    choccie cookie ·
    • Hide content

I think perhaps you should first remember why you're getting married in the first place.. It's about you and your husband and anything else should be considered a bonus. So think about cutting down guests, possibly having your wedding on a weekday, and haggling with venues. What about a second hand dress? Do you have a friend who could make your cake?

• M
    Beginner October 2015
    MrsWatkinsToBe ·
    • Hide content

Hi,

Where in South Wales are you?

When we were looking for a venue Churchills Hotel in Cardiff had some good packages as did Oxwich Bay hotel in the Gower. Or the Ty Mawr pub near Lisvane has a reasonable wedding package at £50 per head for the whole day.

Hope that helps :-)

• H
    Beginner July 2016
    HeavyMetalMaiden ·
    • Hide content

Hello fellow Welsh Bride!!!

Have you tried Welsh castles? They are super duper cheap to hire for a ceremony. My budget is very similar to yours, and we don't want to go over 5000.

We are having a handfasting at a Welsh court and castle and for 50 people it costs 550. We can't stay there for the evening as it closes at 5pm. We are going to have a tea party there after the ceremony instead of a full on wedding breakfast. With it being July and potentially hot we think this would be preferred over a hot meals And is a damn sight cheaper!!

After that and a quick stint at the registry office, we are going to a local recently - renovated community and arts centre, which will take 100 guests and is ours for the weekend for 300.

Keep looking for alternative options, it doesn't have to be so expensive, and our venues are so beautiful, and they have allowed us to be able to afford a more expensive TOG (which incredibly important to us lol).

Good luck!

• M
    Beginner September 2015
    Milly_Bride ·
    • Hide content

Hiya, we're getting married in South Wales too Smiley smile We also looked at Ty Mawr pub in Lisvane which is lovely and pretty reasonable. There are lots of fairly cheap hotel packages out there too - http://www.britanniahotels.com/special-offers/cheap-weddings/

I think with a small budget its important to think outside the box. We looked at having our ceremony at a registry office (some of them are actually really nice, the Cardiff one is in city hall which is lovely) and then hiring out a bar, pub or restaurant for a reception which can be much cheaper than a traditional reception venue. You could think about having a daytime wedding - make it a lunch or brunch so you just feed everyone once, and having something like afternoon tea or picnic style food can be cheaper than a sit down 3 course meal. Getting married off season and/or on a weekday (or sometimes Sunday) can also make things a lot cheaper.

The biggest thing that will affect cost however is your guest list. You could try going for immediate family/very close friends only for the actual wedding and then throw an informal party somewhere for a larger crowd?

• C
    Beginner May 2016
    Clazu61 ·
    • Hide content

Hi choccie cookie,

I'm not sure I full understand what you mean about me forgetting why I'm getting married? I think maybe you should find out the true fact before you judge.

Just to expand, I was in a truly emotionally abusive relationship for 10 years (in a way lucky that it wasnt physical, but truely messed me up) and I thought that man was my life, I was going to marry him no matter what, I was willing to have a local pub reception (I have since realised that he was an alcoholic... something you can't see when you are in the mist. (If you notice I set this account up in 2012... which was when I was full intent in marry this man. However, with the help of friends and family I managed to see the light in the end and got myself out of something that was very dark.

A few months down the line I met my now fiance, who is amazing. He's helped me no end in getting over this relationship and the death of my father and grandfathers (who all died within 6 months of each other).... A well as the help from my friends and family that have been with me through it all... hence I want them at my wedding to celebrate the happiest day of my life!! So there is no way that I can forget that the reason I'm getting married is to spend the rest of my life with one truly amazing man!!

I apologise if your comment wasn't meant to come off as judgemental, but I think you need to know facts before throwing out those sorts of comments.

Thank you, though, for your comments I will take into consideration about haggling with venues. Looking at online brochures, it seems the most difficult part is to get any venue I'm interested in for less than £5,000.

• C
    Beginner May 2016
    Clazu61 ·
    • Hide content

Hello Mrs Watkins to be Smiley smile,

I'm in Cwmbran, Torfaen. I'll have a look at these venues and see if they are to suit, thank you... £50 per head seems very reasonable if there is no fee for the venue on top. I'm willing to travel a bit (not sure how far Lisvane is from me as my geography is truly horrendous!!)

Thank you very much Smiley smile

• C
    Beginner May 2016
    Clazu61 ·
    • Hide content

Hello Heavy Metal Maiden,

Absolutely love your name Smiley smile, maybe we have more in common that just being Welsh!!! Handfasting? Would you be able to explain what that is please (sorry for my ignorance)?

Does the registry cost much?

I have and will keep looking and looking and looking (other half has very specific dietary requirements, so it's a pain!! Especially when everyone wants to feed us all that posh food which we really arent into, lol).

Thank you and Good Luck to you too Smiley smile

• M
    Beginner September 2015
    Milly_Bride ·
    • Hide content

I'm sure choccie cookie didn't mean to be judgemental. The thing is that on a small budget you will have to compromise and prioritise - figure out what's important to you and let that be your guide. If an amazing venue is a priority you might only be able to invite 30 people and get an off the rack dress. If having the right people there is a priority, you might need to get a less fancy venue. Unfortunately although 5 grand is a lot of money, in traditional wedding terms it doesn't get you a lot!

• C
    Beginner May 2016
    Clazu61 ·
    • Hide content

Hello there Milly Bride Smiley smile,

That pub seems to have come up twice now, so certainly will look into it... Hopefully not too far away (but as I stated I am willing to travel).

I agree about thinking outside the box, the village hall seems to be coming up a lot, but it just isn't my thing. I've had friends that have had weddings in them, and they have been absolutely lovely, it's just not me!

I have been thinking about having a later wedding, therefore only needing to feed guests once. Unfortunately as I stated I whittled it down to 67, I have a very close large family... imaging an Italian family... that's mine!! Although I think I should clarify I'm not of italian descent, lol.

Thank you for your comments they have been truely helpful Smiley smile

• C
    Beginner May 2016
    Clazu61 ·
    • Hide content

Hello again Milly_Bride,

I agree I'm sure it wasn't meant to be judgemental.

That's what I'm finding (£5,000 is nothing in wedding terms)... I was slightly ignorant to the cost before I started looking. I thought everyone was spending £25,000 because they wanted everything and more. I have since realised that I will have to compromise (Celtic Manor is just not an option, lol).

I am considering Barns, Farms, Castles, Cheaper Hotels... There seems to be so much choice in principal, then looking into it seem to be very limited in the end to what you are allowed on the actual venue (a lot won't consider outside caterers... which I figured could work out cheaper).

• H
    Beginner July 2016
    HeavyMetalMaiden ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Haha by the sounds of it we do have more in common!!

Hand fasting

Now, some other brides/OM may want to chirp in here, as I am crap at explaining stuff, but here we go:

A hand fasting is when the bride and groom hold onto each others wrists and are then tied with different coloured ribbon (each colour representing a trait like trust, loyalty, passion etc), symbolising infinity and unity between the couple. These ceremonies are very customizable to the couple in question.

In medieval times, the couple would have a hand fasting ceremony as a part of their engagement, and after a year and a day, they would either marry or split. Nowadays they are commonly used during the marriage ceremony itself.. This ceremony is not yet legally binding in Wales and England, however I understand that it would be legal in Scotland (celebrants can legally marry couples in Scotland, but unfortunately for us, we need a registrar to legalise our marriage in England and Wales). Hand fastings are also used in Pagan/Wiccan ceremonies along with the 'jumping of the broom'.

There is a lot of history behind it, and one doesn't have to be pagan to have one (we are not), and we think it is very romantic and just brings a lot more to the ceremony that the usual 'I do' malarky of a civil ceremony. Registrars will not perform hand fastings, we had to hire a celebrant (but she is so fab). HOWEVER anyone can perform a handfasting ceremony. If you have a friend or relative who is good a public speaking, and between you and them do plenty of research on wording the ceremony/readings/vows etc. you together can write your own ceremony which in turn will save you bags of cash on celebrant fees. And because they are not legally binding you can get married ANYWHERE! Literally. Anywhere Smiley smile On top of Pen-Y-Fan would be very romantic haha!

Hope that helps hehe!

Smiley smile

• snow bride
    Beginner June 2016
    snow bride ·
    • Hide content

All I can suggest is going out of the box for venues.

Our original plan was 70 day guests (2 course sit down meal) and evening for 120 (buffet) and the venue quotes us £2k!

• L
    Beginner September 2016
    lpcr ·
    • Hide content

Hi I have been to a wedding in glyn clydach in neath lovely venue think I can get married there, they are quite reasonably priced and I'm sure they do Packages cheaper for week day weddings which may be an option for u and I'm sure they do cheaper deals for weddings before April ! May be worth having a look. The other thing u could do may be worth having a look at your local community centres some may have bars in them and u would be able to have outside caterers!

Also if you are on a budget have a look on eBay etc for invitations and other bits and bobs

Good luck

• L
    Beginner September 2016
    lpcr ·
    • Hide content

Hi I have been to a wedding in glyn clydach in neath lovely venue think I can get married there, they are quite reasonably priced and I'm sure they do Packages cheaper for week day weddings which may be an option for u and I'm sure they do cheaper deals for weddings before April ! May be worth having a look. The other thing u could do may be worth having a look at your local community centres some may have bars in them and u would be able to have outside caterers!

Also if you are on a budget have a look on eBay etc for invitations and other bits and bobs

Good luck

• I
    Beginner January 2016
    imabusybee ·
    • Hide content

I can't help with location - specific advice because I'm in Yorkshire, but my budget is the same as yours. We found a really good deal for our ceremony and breakfast with a local venue as we're getting married in January so much more scope for cutting costs there. Our evening reception we're having at our village hall around the corner. We're also cutting costs by going for less exciting food at the evening reception (cold buffet from a local company), not having a proper 'cake' (but instead having a table of different cakes and brownies), & I'm not having a proper 'wedding dress' - just a pretty tea length white dress. We're still spending a fair bit on things like decorations, photographer etc but managed to get good deals for things like photobooth due to the time of year.

Hope this helps! Smiley smile

• L
    Beginner October 2014
    LalaC1988 ·
    • Hide content

a look on group on. I'm not in wales but my wedding was groupon we paid 2500 should have been circa 6500

A quick google finds a few things you might be interested in.

good luck HunHun

• daffodilly
    Beginner August 2015
    daffodilly ·
    • Hide content

Hello.

Another welshie here... not too far from you.

Some of these may be repeated but here goes:

Week day as opposed to weekend

Off season... summer is most popular and more expensive.

Off the peg dress. .. either Debenhams, BHS or similar. ..

Dress could also be a sample. .. got mine from allaboutevebridalwear I Newport. .. A sample that had only been tried on by me!

Serve your cake as desert.

Newport registry office is quite pretty and intimate for a simple ceremony or Cardiff City Hall. .. various rooms available. .. avoiding any extra travel charges for the registrar.

Photographer. ... pop an advert up in the local unit college for people wanting to develop their portfolio.

Bbq or hog roast ad opposed to traditional wedding breakfast.

Of course. .. any talented friends or family to help out with their creative talents. .. or even your own.

HTH

Xxx

• daffodilly
    Beginner August 2015
    daffodilly ·
    • Hide content

Hello.

Another welshie here... not too far from you.

Some of these may be repeated but here goes:

Week day as opposed to weekend

Off season... summer is most popular and more expensive.

Off the peg dress. .. either Debenhams, BHS or similar. ..

Dress could also be a sample. .. got mine from allaboutevebridalwear I Newport. .. A sample that had only been tried on by me!

Serve your cake as desert.

Newport registry office is quite pretty and intimate for a simple ceremony or Cardiff City Hall. .. various rooms available. .. avoiding any extra travel charges for the registrar.

Photographer. ... pop an advert up in the local unit college for people wanting to develop their portfolio.

Bbq or hog roast ad opposed to traditional wedding breakfast.

Of course. .. any talented friends or family to help out with their creative talents. .. or even your own.

HTH

Xxx

• Mrslh2b
    Beginner August 2016
    Mrslh2b ·
    • Hide content

Another vote for the Ty Mawr - went to a wedding fayre there a few weeks ago and it is a really lovely venue!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics