Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

x.Nesh.x
Beginner November 2012

Help! Maid of Honour being a DIVA!

x.Nesh.x, 2 July, 2012 at 18:50 Posted on Planning 0 14

Help! Maid of Honour being a DIVA!

Naturally any bride would want their best friend to be their maid of honour - as I have asked of my best friend. I also have 2 other relatives as bridesmaids.
My wedding planning is not bad & so far things are going okish.....
Until my best friend (the maid of honour) decided to turn into a DIVA!!!
Iv always described her as such a laid back easy going person, she is also very honest with me as I am with her.
She has helped me pick my dress & now we've done that iv been chatting to her about how I want to accessorise. My aim is to have my hair away from my face in a high messy bun & use big earrings to make a statement.....(keep this in mind for the next part)
Her initial words to me were "pick anything you want me to wear & I'll wear it"
---- so far we're onto the 4th dress & finally she likes it (RESULT!)
Now it's accessories time for me & the girls we decide on a trip to the shops the other day to buy everything. The two bridesmaids loved everything I picked & together we sorted them out in a matter of 10 minutes.....the maid of honour on the other hand stood quietly & sour faced the entire time. I stopped looking for my own jewellery to focus my attention on making her feel comfortable & happy, together we began picking earrings & placing them onto the counter to analyse.
My pile was classy & understated, I also kept an eye on her dress & matched the earrings to the style & colour......Her pile - giant crystal bling bling earrings! At first I thought she was joking, then I looked at her face & realised she wasn't.

She got all grumpy&stubborn in the shop & decided everything I picked she hated, even mum was really taken aback by her grumpiness.She then decided she was going to have her hair up &wants big dangly earrings.....which is EXACTLY the look I discussed with her that I WANTED. So I said to her, can we get you big pretty studs otherwise were all going have big earrings,& again she's like no I don't want studs I want big earrings!!

I'm feeling myself getting bridezilla about this because it's the one main impact & statement I as the bride wanted to make & she's being super annoying about it. I pretty much refuse to let her go for that look seeings as its they way I as a bride want to look. How do I get this girl to just back off?! She was genuinely so grumpy she made us all feel awkward.

I categorically refuse to share my look with her on my wedding day - Surely I as the bride get the right to stand out & have my moment!?

Suffice to say we left the shop having decided to agree to disagree & look about in other places....I'm NOT impressed at all! How does one solve this without falling out before the big day???!

14 replies

Latest activity by SuperDuff, 4 July, 2012 at 13:41
  • kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Won't the big white dress do this?

I think you're being a bit dramatic to be honest. To call her a diva after one shopping trip is a bit excessive. Maybe she was having a bad day?

Does it really matter if she wears some dangly earrings?

• x.Nesh.x
    Beginner November 2012
    x.Nesh.x ·
    • Hide content

I appreciate what your saying because it was that one day, however nope my dress isn't typically massive. She too has a really glam dress because I wanted her to look great - I just thought if that's my main impact surely she should respect that?

• cookiekat
    Beginner August 2012
    cookiekat ·
    • Hide content

You are the bride, everyone will be looking at you no-one will go oh look at the MOH she has big earings - you will be centre of attention you will make the big impact - unless she walks out butt naked,then maybe she will get more attention ?

IMO you are being bridezilla about this.

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content

Your main impact? You're the bride.

Trust me, literally no one is going to notice your bridesmaid's earrings.

• clarehj
    Beginner April 2012
    clarehj ·
    • Hide content

I think you are totally right - it's your day and bridesmaid should wear as you say! No argument!

• hannahlock4
    Beginner January 2013
    hannahlock4 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Agree!! Your BMs are there to support you and I know they're only earrings but i'd be peeved if 1 of my BMs threw a hissy & expected me to change mine cos she wanted to wear them...! I was BM to my best friend in March & was so thrilled that she wanted me walking behind her down the aisle, i wouldve worn a bin bag with holes in if she had asked me to!

• Enjayee
    Beginner April 2013
    Enjayee ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

What Kharv said. It doesn't matter how understated your dress or look is, you'll be the one that everyone is focused on on the day. I don't think you're being a bridezilla but I think maybe a little sensitive. At my friend's wedding all the bridesmaids had different hairdos, depending on what flattered their face shape but nobody took a blind bit of notice about them not matching (and even one of them having a similar 'do to the bride) so I honestly wouldn't worry. This is a really small detail in the grand scheme of things - don't let it come between your friendship.

• V
    Beginner April 2013
    Vintage84 ·
    • Hide content

I hate to say it but you may have created your own MOH Diva. By all means give your bridesmaids a choice but if that choice means you end up worried they're going to upstage you then pull the Bride card and put your foot down. Just tell her she has a killer dress but you'd like her accessories to be understated and elegant.

If she doesn't back down then I'm afraid she isn't much of a friend.

• Going2theChapel
    Beginner March 2013
    Going2theChapel ·
    • Hide content

Mwahaha this is why I am giving the bridesmaid gifts of jewellery to wear on the morning! done deal!

• SummerLouiseLewis
    Beginner September 2013
    SummerLouiseLewis ·
    • Hide content

I think that if it's that much of an issue for you just pick for her and not let her have a choice... it is harsh, but if she is really just being a pain about it then you'll have to... I am having to do this, hve a few ideas of dresses from my BM and they all say "oh i can't wear this" or " I look terrible in strapless". It's about you, not them... but tbh No-one will even care what jewellery they are wearing!

Smiley smile

• Aurora Borealis
    Beginner June 2013
    Aurora Borealis ·
    • Hide content

Whilst I do think that as a bridesmaid she should go along with what you like, because yes you are the bride and it's your wedding, I also agree that no one is really going to notice what earrings she's wearing and in the grand scheme of things it really doesn't matter.

• maidenheadgirl
    Beginner May 2013
    maidenheadgirl ·
    • Hide content

Me too! The only thing I am doing is asking them what sort of dress they will be comfortable with – strapless/long/short and find a compromise. I know some girls can’t/won’t wear strapless for example and I don’t want to make them feel uncomfortable on my big day.

But to be honest if I were a BM and if you had already said you wanted a certain look for yourself, AND the other BM’s happy with the earrings, I wouldn’t make a fuss unless the earrings you were choosing were bright pink with loads of blings or something.

She doesn’t sound like a team player. Maybe she has other issues that has not been discussed? I know my sister is a wet blanked about the wedding but that’s because she’s recently divorced and unhappy. Not the right frame of mind to be excited about her sisters wedding but I try not to take it to heart.

Try to have a chat with her and hopefully she will get it.

• SingleNoMore
    Beginner April 2013
    SingleNoMore ·
    • Hide content

It's your wedding, youre buying this stuff, your bridesmaids get what they're given. it's tough if it's not exactly what they want, it's your day, it's all about what YOU want. So be more assertive and stop giving them choices. When they get married they can do the same to you, that's just how it works. She should be grateful you've got good taste and aren't dressing her in some hideous creation!

• R
    Expert June 2024
    rachel2012 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Im also doing this, have brought there hair pieces and shoes also, leaving nothing to chance!!

• SuperDuff
    Beginner November 2013
    SuperDuff ·
    • Hide content

I honestly cannot remember what Bridesmaids have worn as jewellery at friends' weddings.

I'm not going for matchy matchy, so I am really relaxed about anything like this and kind of fail to see the problem.

People will notice you for being you, and if they notice a pair of earrings on someone else, is that the worst thing? Like one of the other ladies said, don't let a pair of earrings come between a friendship.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics