Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Daisy Bell
Beginner August 2015

Help me choose a bolero and veil *flash*

Daisy Bell, 11 of April of 2015 at 20:01 Posted on Planning 0 19

I need your opinions. I've ordered some boleros online to try with my wedding dress. I love love love my dress but am not sure I am confident enough to be without coverage on my back/shoulders/arms.

First off they all fit perfectly and also match the colour of my dress but now I can't decide. I do think I prefer either #1 or #2 over #3 but would love to hear what you ladies think.
Bolero 1:
Bolero 2:
Bolero 3:
You can also see my hair band and jewellery for the wedding in the 2nd and 3rd pic.
I also ordered a veil, just because I wanted to try what it looks like (I was initially not planning on wearing one though). Now I am a little undecided...
What do you guys think?
Also apologies, the dress isn't done up right. I was on my own and this was the best I could do myself.
By the way, we met with our celebrant (humanist) today and he's a lovely man. We went through the ceremony with is and I can't wait to get married. I think it will be really personal and just wonderful. My OH actually was so touched by what the celebrant said he nearly cried. Aww.
Thanks in advance for your replies!

19 replies

Latest activity by Daisy Bell, 12 of April of 2015 at 23:02
  • Z
    Beginner September 2015
    Zozo222 ·
    • Hide content

Oh difficult one, I agree 1 or 2 over 3, they are both lovely, I think I'm swaying towards 2 as you have no other lace in the dress I think it matches better and is also a nice modern shape. Gorgeous dress btw!

• AnnaMolly
    Beginner October 2015
    AnnaMolly ·
    • Hide content

I prefer bolero number 1. It's beautiful, gives you the bit of coverage you're after but doesn't take anything away from the dress.

i think the veil looks lovely with the outfit. If it was me I'd wear it, but you obviously don't *need* one.

• ☆♡☆VegasBride☆♡☆
    Beginner August 2014
    ☆♡☆VegasBride☆♡☆ ·
    • Hide content

Ooh a toughie!! I think 1 and 2 go better with your dress and LOVE no 2 (But im not a huge fan of lace) think it suits the dress perfectly really suits you xx

• Cache13
    Beginner August 2015
    Cache13 ·
    • Hide content

Personally I love number one on you Smiley smile do you mind sharing where you found it online? I think it gives you coverage but is still delicate, number 2 is quite bulky and covers you too much I think.

It's wonderful that you're so looking forward to it.

• Daisy Bell
    Beginner August 2015
    Daisy Bell ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for the replies so far. They're all from a Amazon Marketplace seller called Ossa Collection. They also sell on ebay (I believe they have a wider selection on ebay). The brand is called Lacey Bell. The first one (lace) was £30, the other two were £12-13. So all really reasonable. The veil is from BHS and was £24 (20% off from £30).

Do you guys think it's a problem that my dress isn't lace if I kept the lace one? I really like it but think maybe material wise the satin one goes better? Ah, I don't know!

• ☆♡☆VegasBride☆♡☆
    Beginner August 2014
    ☆♡☆VegasBride☆♡☆ ·
    • Hide content

The lace looks nice with the dress xx

• Daisy Bell
    Beginner August 2015
    Daisy Bell ·
    • Hide content

Cache13, here are the links. On ebay they also had two other similar lace ones.

Ossa Ladies Wedding Evening Party Lace Bolero Cocktail Jacket Short Sleeved Ivory https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00CPM0786/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_V5Xhvb0F2CZ72

Ossa Women Evening Party Satin Bolero Cocktail Jacket Short Length Sleeve Ivory https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00CPLXHNE/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_H9Xhvb15CVFSB

Ladies Wedding Bridal Lace Bolero Jacket Shrug Bolero Short Sleeves (Ivory) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00O46L000/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_F-Xhvb1Q4C5NP

this is their ebay shop: http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Ossa-Collection

• I-go-by-many-names
    Super April 2015
    I-go-by-many-names ·
    • Hide content

What's your venue like? If its modern and contemporary, 2 would be best. If you're going for somewhere traditional or historical (I'm guessing maybe not too traditional if you're having a humanist wedding) then I like number 1. As an aside, you won't regret doing a humanist ceremony. We did exactly that last week and it was just perfect and so personal for us, and it really impressed our guests, most of whom have only been to church or civil ceremonies.

• Sambarine
    Beginner May 2015
    Sambarine ·
    • Hide content

Ooh, that's a hard one. I agree that no.3 is out of the running, but between 1 and 2? On the one hand the satin bolero "matches" your dress much better, but the lace one "fits" your dress - the satin one covers too much at the front and also overlaps too far at the back. I think I'd go with the lace one, despite it being a different fabric - it's beautiful and it does look like it was made to "fit" your dress, and I don't think it matters too much that it's lace when your dress is satin. You could always change the veil for one with a lace trim to tie it all together? Or is that confusing the issue even more?! Sorry I've not been much help...

• M
    Beginner June 2016
    Miss-KEM ·
    • Hide content

I like the first 1 the best. I think the 2nd one looks a bit too long and seems to cover the top of your dress at the back. I personally think the lace compliments your dress.

love the veil too

• Daisy Bell
    Beginner August 2015
    Daisy Bell ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I've posted some pictures of our venue a while ago here: https://www.hitched.co.uk/chat/forums/t/491021.aspx

It's an early 20th century building so quite modern.

• Daisy Bell
    Beginner August 2015
    Daisy Bell ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for your replies, ladies. I've still not made up my mind 100% but the fact that quite a few of you prefer the first one makes me think mixing satin and lace might be alright after all. I might keep both if I can't make up my mind as it's only £13 for the satin one.

I appreciate you all helping with your opinion. Smiley smile

• MrsShep
    Beginner September 2014
    MrsShep ·
    • Hide content

Pretty! I like number one the best, but do you really need to cover yourself up? I think you look gorgeous without it too! The veil looks lovely and would provide a little bit of coverage too. Although the satin one matches your dress, I definitely think it covers a bit too much, and is a bit stiff.

• bubblerawk
    Beginner July 2016
    bubblerawk ·
    • Hide content

I like number 1 the best Smiley smile

• L
    Beginner October 2014
    LalaC1988 ·
    • Hide content

II brought that veil :-) was really pretty to wear.

I am a big fan of bolero one X

• Charliebob
    Beginner May 2016
    Charliebob ·
    • Hide content

DEFFO bolero 1, fits the dress beautifully.

Because you have long hair and want the bolero I wouldn't have a veil but a tiara/headpiece instead otherwise it's too much on your shoulders and will look too much.

• L
    Beginner November 2014
    LoveWeddiings ·
    • Hide content

I like number 1, looks lovely Smiley smile

• Daisy Bell
    Beginner August 2015
    Daisy Bell ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thanks, you're too sweet. I am just not comfortable at all with my weight at the moment and although the dress is incredibly flattering (hiding my problem areas of hips, butt & thighs) it doesn't hide my huge upper arms at all. I am not 100% decided whether I will wear a bolero but I want to have one in case I decide to (also in case the weather is horrid).

Thanks everyone, you all have made me more confident that #1 might not only work but also be really nice. It was the one I preferred when I ordered them but I didn't expect it to really work with my satin dress. Turns out it does ...

By the way, I will be wearing my hair up for the wedding, or at least half up.

• hellandglory
    Rockstar October 2019
    hellandglory ·
    • Hide content

I definitely think number 1 - its gorgeous!

• Daisy Bell
    Beginner August 2015
    Daisy Bell ·
    • Hide content

Thanks all! Showed the pictures to my FMIL tonight and she also prefers bolero #1 by far.

I think I may have made my decision about the bolero. Smiley laugh

Not sure yet about the veil. Maybe it would be a bit much with the bolero *and* veil?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics