Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

DaffyB
Beginner June 2012

Help me decorate our bedroom

DaffyB, 22 of December of 2012 at 21:20 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 7

Our extension is nearly finished! This means that we need to start decorating the new rooms, especially our new bedroom. Here are some pictures of the room:

Our bed will go up against this wall where the pieces of wood are.

So I'm thinking of a blue and creamy yellow kind of colour scheme. With these colours(you can just about see the pathc of Egyptian cream on the ceiling):

And I'm planning to make curtains and bed covers out of this fabric:

I was thinking that we would paint all the vertical walls with the blue paint and all of the ceilings in the cream colour. But now I'm thinking maybe I should do something different with the end wall where the bed will be. Should that be a different colour, or should it be the cream colour rather than the blue, or a wall paper?

What do you guys think?

7 replies

Latest activity by DaffyB, 22 of December of 2012 at 22:51
  • ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content

Fab project!

In my cabbage, the blue paint is too bright for the fabric pattern, which would match a more navy tone. It doesn't have to be as dark as navy, just not so sky blue as you have there. I'd be tempted to think about a navy wall behind the bed and then cream for the rest of the walls. Or maybe a lush striped wallpaper, navy/light blue/cream/gold, to really pop. Good combo of striped formality and softer fabrics.

• DaffyB
    Beginner June 2012
    DaffyB ·
    • Hide content

I know what you mean about the blue but I didn't want it to be too dark.

I'll have to look at some wall papers to see what I can find.

• *Ducky*
    Beginner July 2012
    *Ducky* ·
    • Hide content

I agree with footling, the blue is not quite right. To me is seems a bit of a childish blue, not a grown up blue (if such a thing exists!). Navy is a very classy colour for bedrooms when used in moderation and with plenty of light colours and fabric too.

^^ I really like the last one.

• DaffyB
    Beginner June 2012
    DaffyB ·
    • Hide content

Oh, actually I've just found this wall paper which I really like:

http://www.lauraashley.com/wallpapers/oriental-garden-duck-egg-floral-wallpaper/invt/3308213/

but I think I'd have to get a different fabric for the curtains. Maybe I'll put the wall paper on the end wall then paint the other walls in a matching blue colour and find a plain darker blue fabric for the curtains.

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content

That wallpaper would fit right into the last picture of Ducky's. I think cream curtains, rather than darker blue ones. And that bed arrangement is lovely.

• RedKitchie
    Beginner August 2013
    RedKitchie ·
    • Hide content

I think you should stick with the original fabric as it will date better. Rather than a breadspread, do a runner and cushions for the bed. Bedspread can be plain white. Do a navy backdrop behind the bed by painting a square around the head board. Or create a head board using the fabric. Then I think you need another colour to enhance the blue - Either silver for an opulent look, soft yellow for a spring look or hot pink for a modern look. Add it in the soft furnishings (cushions, rug) or in accessories like silver candlesticks.If you have any big furniture, like wardrobes or big dressers, put the navy blue paint behind those. Other walls can be white with pictures/ windows on them.

As an aside, I also think a blanket box at the foot of the bed is always handy for bed cushions to go on and linens to go in. Also, carefully consider the lighting.

I would so desperately love our own place I could decorate. But living with FMIL at the mo and can't convince OH we should move out sooner rather than later.

• DaffyB
    Beginner June 2012
    DaffyB ·
    • Hide content

What about this blue to go with the fabric:

http://www.dulux.co.uk/colour/pebble_drift_1

maybe pebble drift 1 on the end wall and pebble drift 4 on the other smaller walls?

This is our bed if it helps:

http://www.conway-furniture.com/our_products/beds/conway_oak_5_bed

with bedside tables like this:

http://www.conway-furniture.com/our_products/chests_of_drawers/conway_oak_bedside_chest

and dressing table to match. We will have a walk-in wardrobe so no need for wardrobes!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics