Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Lauren
Beginner October 2022 Oxfordshire

Help me with Wedding Flowers

Lauren, 26 of January of 2022 at 17:59 Posted on Planning 3 18

Like most of us, I am absolutely clueless when it comes to planning a Wedding but the thought of sorting flowers is daunting!!

How do I get the ball rolling? *Do I contact a florist?

How can I do it so it's not absolutely extortionate? *Has anyone else done it on the cheap?

Do I actually need flowers? *obviously I want a bouquet for myself and the bridesmaids!

Opinions/Advice & Recommendations are needed!

Thank you Smiley heart

18 replies

Latest activity by Jess, 7 of February of 2022 at 16:54
  • A
    Curious October 2022 Buckinghamshire
    Alice ·
    • Hide content

Hey, I was in the same boat as you I didn't have a clue where to start with flowers and when I did start looking they really are expensive! I was thinking about making my own flowers either artificial or real. From looking on this forum I came across someone recommending a website called Triangle Nursery, which is basically a florist wholesaler and they sell to anyone at wholesale prices. The website looks really good and very detailed about weddings and when to order to get in time for your wedding. Much cheaper than going direct to a florist. Does mean making your own flowers though but with the help of a lot of youtube, hopefully be ok. That's what im telling myselfSmiley laugh

• Jane
    Dedicated June 2022 Bristol
    Jane ·
    • Hide content
    I started by looking at pictures of other weddings at our venue to get an idea of what I wanted. I then contacted the florist recommended by the venue and met with her - it was no obligation and was really helpful to have a professional opinion! I feel really lucky that the quote for what I wanted was lower than expected so we are going with her for bouquets, button holes and venue flowers. My florist wanted to know my budget and she let me know what I could do within it.

If you want to go down that route, I’m sure you could have a quick chat with a potential florist on the phone to see if your budget and your expectations match! You can always pay for a bouquet etc from a florist and do other bits yourself. Good luck
  • Yorkshirelass
    Super July 2022 Surrey
    Yorkshirelass ·
    • Hide content
    I was recommended a florist from the venue and got a quote via email for the usual venue decoration and bouquets. I then noticed there is a florist on my road (she has her business details on her car!) so I knocked on her door and asked her for a quote too! Luckily she was available and cheaper so I went with her. She was happy to match to our budget and I really liked the way she gave me three pricing options for the staircase decoration we wanted.
  • B
    Savvy April 2023 West Yorkshire
    Becky ·
    • Hide content
    Keep in mind certain flowers are more expensive than others and can vary depending on the season. For example I'm getting married in April so I'm having daffodils (plus I love them!) which are in season and fairly cheap. I m also growing a load of small daffodils and putting them into cheap Terracotta pots for both decorations and wedding favours - so no need for decorative flowers making it cheaper.

Nothing wrong with taking to a few florists about your idea and give them a budget to try and get a balance between affordable and what you want Smiley smile
  • R
    VIP July 2020 Monmouthshire
    RomanticGreenStationery27135 ·
    • Hide content

You don't have to have it all done by a florist. You could get your bouquet done professionally and DIY the venue flowers. Do what works for you.

I'd start by working out the look that you want. Then have a hunt round for local florists whose work you like. Make a shortlist and contact them for a chat about what you would like and ask for a quote. As Becky says, some flowers cost more than others, and in-season flowers are going to be cheaper.

• J
    Curious January 2022 Gloucestershire
    Jesshumphriesx ·
    • Hide content
    I contacted my local florist & she offered a no frills option which was to my colour scheme but would be a complete surprise as they use whatever is on the lorry that day! This option was 50% cheaper & just as nice!!

• R
    VIP July 2020 Monmouthshire
    RomanticGreenStationery27135 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I did something similar - our wedding was rearranged last minute due to Covid, and my original florist had sadly had to shut her business during lockdown so I had to find a new one fast. I'd seen a picture of a gorgeous bouquet that a friend had ordered for her mum's birthday, had a quick look at the florist's website and Facebook and didn't see an arrangment there that I didn't like, so I rang her and basically said can you do me a informal, cottage garden style bouquet that won't clash will look ok with my dress & my OH's kilt - emailed her the pics of what we would be wearing and she delivered a bouquet that couldn't have been more perfect.

I think if you find a florist whose work you really love, it takes a lot of the pressure off, because if you like everything else he/she has done why wouldn't you like what they produce for your wedding?!

• MrsRtoH
    Savvy October 2022 Merseyside
    MrsRtoH ·
    • Hide content
    Hello!!
    So, I'm only having bouquet for me and the bridesmaids and buttonholes for the lads.

We actually have a venue dresser hired and they do trees so you don't need flowers. They're called Thornton Events on Instagram and are based in the Northwest. The cost of centrepieces of flowers is insane and I just didn't want to pay it so I have fake trees instead 😂 the cost isn't much different though hahaha! I've been quoted £80 for my bouquet and thought that was very high. I'm now going with Lush (the high street shop) as the Liverpool store is a flagship shop and has a florist so my bouquet is £45 and the BM's are going to be £30-£35. Hope the info helps!
  • Anonbride
    Expert July 2023 Cornwall
    Anonbride ·
    • Hide content

We're going for artificial flowers... which I was originally sceptical of but my venue recommended someone who had worked with them before and the pictures look gorgeous and you really can't tell! You can also keep the bouquets forever too which I thought would be a nice memento for me and the bridesmaids.

I phoned around asking for quotes from real flower florists too, but basically going artificial is around £500 for what we want (flower arch, bouquets, buttonholes), whereas real is £2000!! Many florists also had a £1000 minimum spend too. The difference is so drastic we know we'd much rather go cheaper on flowers so we can afford a nice honeymoon!

• Laura
    Savvy July 2022 Bristol
    Laura ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Hi, just wondering if the person who is doing you artificial flowers have a website. The lady who was doing mine has closed her business and Im desperately trying to find someone else x
  • Anonbride
    Expert July 2023 Cornwall
    Anonbride ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I mainly talk to her on insta, but we had an email exchange and phone call - Emily Rose Event Hire ☺️

Good luck!
  • Kayleigh
    Rockstar October 2023 Bristol
    Kayleigh ·
    • Hide content
    I madey bouquet and bridesmaid pieces myself with foam roses. In all, including hoops for the BM pieces, it cost about 40 quid. But I'm not having lots of flowers, it's just those and a piece for the ceremony table xx
  • Hayley
    Dedicated August 2024 East Sussex
    Hayley ·
    • Hide content
    There is actually so many options when it comes to flowers.
    Contacting a florist means other then the type of flowers and couler scheme it's of your plate.

But I've noticed etsy is amazing for bouquets, boutonnieres, centerpieces and so much more
  • Rosie
    Curious May 2023 Lothian & Borders
    Rosie ·
    • Hide content

A cheaper option might be to contact a local English flower farmer, they often provide DIY flower buckets which means you can decorate the venue/ceremony yourself, most can provide in a set colour scheme. Most of them can also make up bouquets etc for you too :-)

• J
    Beginner April 2022
    jesssired ·
    • Hide content
    Hey, I've got paper flowers from a lovely lady https://www.paperbouquets.co.uk/ who is just brilliant! Prices vary but for my bouquet, 7 bridesmaids and 7 Buttonholes it was £350 and we get to keep them forever! Would definitely recommend!
  • L
    Curious July 2022 Cambridgeshire
    Lucy ·
    • Hide content
    I've just had a quite from a gorgeous looking florist which came to less than I thought - £500 for bouquet, buttonholes and corsages, and venue flowers (admittedly we're not having loads but that includes table decorations, altar/high table, and a few pedestal decorations). I was fully prepared to be disappointed and for flowers to cost the earth but I'm pleased with the quote. We were upfront with the florist and told her what we wanted and what our budget was and she worked with our ideas and which flowers would be available in season. It's worth contacting someone you like the look of (look at their Instagram for example to see their work) and asking for a quote.
  • K
    Beginner February 2022 West Midlands
    Kimberley ·
    • Hide content
    Hi Lauren, firstly congratulations on your engagement. I would advise to speak to a florist firstly the flowers you would like (if you know) and more importantly roughly how much you would like to spend. Think about your bouquet, how many for the bridesmaids, button holes etc. The florist should be able to tell you what you can get for your money. Another option is to have your bouquet from the florist and maybe go for artificial flowers which are cheaper for bridesmaids that you could maybe arrange yourself or get help from family and friends.

I am a wedding planner and coordinator, if you would like any further help or assistance, please email *********@******************.**.**
    Love and best wishes ❤ x
  • Jess
    Dedicated October 2022 Worcestershire
    Jess ·
    • Hide content

To get the ball rolling I would email some florists local to your that you like the style of and ask them if they could send you a price list and if they have a minimum spend. Also, definitely worth starting a pinterest board if you're anything like me as I knew what 'main' flowers I wanted in my bouquet and centrepieces etc. but pinterest can give you so many ideas for filler flowers/foliage and what you can do with flowers.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics