Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

rockinred40
Beginner September 2016

Help meeting with the Vicar

rockinred40, 14 of July of 2015 at 12:40 Posted on Planning 0 6

Hi everyone

I've been a bit quite of the last few weeks on the forum as I have got most this booked.

I wanted to marry in a church outside of my parish, was told that I would need to become a member of that parish for 6mths before anything could be done. So since the 11th Jan 15 I've been going to church every Sunday and last sun (12th July) my 6mths was up.

Emailed the vicar yesterday (13th) and have got a meeting today (14th) at 2.30pm

I don't know wot I need to ask, take or anything, I'm feeling sooooooo nervous

6 replies

Latest activity by FutureMrsMarshall, 15 of July of 2015 at 14:26
  • halloweeny
    Beginner October 2013
    halloweeny ·
    • Hide content

Nothing to be scared about. Vicars are people too! ;-)

he'll probably ask you questions about yourself and your OH and what your expectations are. He might tell you what his views are and what he thinks you can and can't do

Just use it as an opportunity to ask him questions about what you need to know.

• M
    Beginner August 2016
    Moonbeam88 ·
    • Hide content

Don't be nervous! We are in the same position as you however we had to meet the vicar first and need to start attending in November this year. Our vicar is lovely and used the meeting to find out about us and our relationship (how we met, our friends, family etc) She said that she uses all the info she builds up to ensure the service is personal to us which will make it even more special Smiley smile

x

• MartinC Photography
    MartinC Photography ·
    • Hide content

Ask him what his rules are regarding photography. Church rules vary wildly between churches/vicars. You get the "No photos at all from the moment the bride walks in!" right through to "Do what you like Mr photographer"

Churches are also the only place I've ever been allowed to photograph the actual signing of the register unlike civil ceremonies where the registrars tell you it's illegal.

Bottom line is to be aware of the rules and make sure you're happy with them. Within the industry it's not uncommon to hear couples who have been disappointed to find out on the day that the vicar won't allow any photographs at all.

• M
    Beginner September 2015
    MrsEdisToBe ·
    • Hide content

At our first meeting the vicar just asked a little about our plans and talked to us about what to expect from the day and it was all very relaxed.

We actually had our second meeting yesterday and ended up in a very awkward situation. I asked the vicar to change the wording so as not to use the words "sexual union" as I'm not keen on that wording. He said "oh it's ok, I don't like sex either". I went bright red and so did he!! Just think of that and it might put you at ease LOL!!!!

• rockinred40
    Beginner September 2016
    rockinred40 ·
    • Hide content

@Laurafish could you amend a slight change to my name I was rockred which I have changed to rockinred40 date is 17th September 2016

Thanks everyone for your advice.

Meeting went well, he just asked for our details for the paperwork for the register just a few things I need to let him know about

1. My occupation - What to call it or do I leave it blank? I can't work due to ill health ans as I live at home still I tend help my dad with doing some of the cooking and shopping, so am I a home maker?

2. the spelling of my dad's full name - everyone that know him calls him Terry short for Terence, I didn't know there was 2 ways of spelling it...........lol

The cost of the church includes a fee for the organist as well £750.00, we know an organist that the vicar knows and has played for other wedding at the same church, he is a personal friend of OH who may play for us waiving his fee.

• E
    Beginner October 2015
    elvira-darkside ·
    • Hide content

Not sure what the collective term should be for vicars (a penguin of vicars maybe?!) - but i met a whole bunch of them out wearing shorts in an italian restaurant. they are completely normal people, my point is not to be scared! just be yourself. xxx

• F
    Beginner August 2016
    FutureMrsMarshall ·
    • Hide content

Haha, a penguin of vicars wearing shorts! Now that's quite a picture.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics