Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

B

Help! My chief bridesmaid disagrees with the colour for my theme and bridesmaids dresses! What should I do?

3 December, 2011 at 15:26 Posted on Planning 0 16

When I told her what colour I would absolutely love for my wedding, she said she didn't think the colour would flatter her. However, you can have so many shades of one colour so I'm trying to convince her that one of them must look gorgeous. She doesn't seem keen though.

Should I

A. Change the colour

B. Try to find a ribbon in a shocking colour that she'll like and will contrast with the dress

C. Simply promise that I'll wear whatever she would like on her wedding, no complaints (for some reason, I feel this option only has a 50% chance of success)

D. ?

Thank you so much in advance!

16 replies

Latest activity by KateyP, 5 December, 2011 at 15:20
  • Mellow_Yellow
    Beginner May 2012
    Mellow_Yellow ·
    • Hide content

This! If you are close enough for her to have this role, she should be offering to do the same. I would literally wear anything that was asked of me if I were in that role.

• leni-lw!
    Beginner November 2011
    leni-lw! ·
    • Hide content

Tell her tough *** this is the colour your wearing ? if that fails then option C Smiley smile

• Sam&Louise
    Beginner September 2015
    Sam&Louise ·
    • Hide content

I must say, I agree with the above.

It's your wedding day, you have the right to have exactly what you want exactly how you want it (as long as you are paying for it)

If I were asked to be a bridesmaid, personally I'd be so honoured that a friend would want me to be part of their wedding that I'd wear a black bag if its what the bride wanted. (of course that's assuming it's something trivial like a colour and they're not asking you to wear clingfilm and no pants)

I don't quite know why so often bridesmaids (or even members of the family) seem to think they have a right to dictate how any part of YOUR wedding should be. It'd never even occur to me :\

• Tracy2012
    Beginner June 2012
    Tracy2012 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

WSS!!!

• CardiffInvitations
    CardiffInvitations ·
    • Hide content

Hi

I do agree that its your day and at the end of the day should be your choice of colour scheme, however practically wise might be best to find a solution that works for everyone.

Could you maybe at least get her to agree to try some dresses in that colour on and then see because realistically if she really doesnt look nice in that colour you might want her to wear something else anyway! She might try some on and find that she is mistaken, plus whilst in the shop you might be able to come up with a plan that you both like

Whilst it is your special day, it will be more enjoyable for everyone if you can find something that you both love.

Anna

• ClaireMcToBe
    Beginner September 2012
    ClaireMcToBe ·
    • Hide content

I'd also just tell her that this is the colour you want, so this is the colour you're having! If you have your heart set on it, then do it. If she's close enough to you that you want her to be chief bridesmaid (or any bridesmaid!) then she should be able to understand that it's your day, your way. Make sure she at least tries the colour on, she might be surprised. My bm didn't want satin (I did, and that's what we're having!) because she thought she was too fat, but when she tried it on she looked great.

• B
    Beginner April 2012
    Brimbletobe ·
    • Hide content

I agree with Anna a bit though. While I totally agree that it's your day so your way, I know I would be happier if everyone I cared about was happy. Do you know why she doesn't like the colour? Perhaps, as others have said, there is a shade you can both agree on, cos I agree that there is no need for the whole wedding to be exactly the same shade of whatever you've chosen. I really wanted a plum/pink colour scheme but one of my bridesmaid has ginger hair and I wouldn't dream of making her wear pink, so they've got burgandy dresses but I'm still doing everything else in various shades of pink. And I agree that if she does really look bad in whatever colour you've thought of then you maybe wouldn't want that anyway. Def advise going to try some dresses on cos both of you might be surprised.

• M
    Beginner May 2015
    MrsWilkinson2Be ·
    • Hide content

Erm...who's wedding is it?! tell her to man up lol! xx

• emmieloos
    Beginner August 2015
    emmieloos ·
    • Hide content

All my bridesmaids were TOLD what colour they were wearing and were so excited just to be bridesmaid that they don't care. Although 2 of my bridesmaids are redheads so I think they would have slightly obected to pink as it would clash with there hair but if my heart was really set on having a pink wedding they'd wear it becuase they just want to make the day as special as possible for me.

I am letting them each chosse the their own style of dress though because they're all different body shapes and suit different styles of dresses so that's my way of giving them to show off their individuality and make sure they're comfortable and happy :-D

• jen_84
    Beginner August 2012
    jen_84 ·
    • Hide content

It's not her wedding! You just need to tell her, politely, that this is the colour scheme you and your H2B have decided on and the bridesmaid dresses need to fit with it.

My MoH wasn't keen on the style of bridesmaid dress that I wanted her to have, but without complaining at all, she looked through the suggestions I emailed her, picked out some that she thought were OK and gladly tried them on. In the end up, we have gone for a style that I didn't think I wanted at all (so it is possible to change your mind, but only if you are happy with the outcome), but she and my other bridesmaid look fab in the dresses, we all love them and they compliment my dress. However, my MoH was very clear - she said very clearly, that although she wouldn't pick the style of dress I originally wanted her to have for herself, she was so happy and excited to be asked to take on the role, that she would wear whatever I wanted her to so long as it wasn't a bin bag! All this did was confirm exactly why I had chosen her as my MoH - not only is she my oldest and closest friend, but she understood how important the details were to me and would keep me happy even if she didn't love the dress herself.

• W
    Wedding Time ·
    • Hide content

Its your wedding, don't try and please everyone, its about you.

• Fergo
    Beginner December 2012
    Fergo ·
    • Hide content

Tell her if she doesn't like it she'll have to lump it!!! Your wedding, your choice....don't compromise for anyone.

• fluffymalone
    Beginner May 2011
    fluffymalone ·
    • Hide content

Tell her to suck it up and deal with it!!! It's your choice, your wedding and I'm sure you not going to dress her horrendously (although I'd be tempted).

• MrsCoco
    MrsCoco ·
    • Hide content

Personally I'd tell her to get over it....it's your wedding not hers, your colour scheme isn't something she can dictate to you!! It's not just the colour of the bridesmaids dresses, it's the colour of the wedding as a whole!

CBM....Chief Diva more like! x

• KateyP
    Beginner February 2010
    KateyP ·
    • Hide content

But then colour schemes are pretty trivial in comparison to the importance of a long and heatlthy friendship. If she wasn't your BM, I'm sure she'd spend a long time looking for the perfect outfit.

I don't agree that people should just be 'flattered and honoured' to be a BM and 'like it or lump it', they are also human and need to feel nice on such a special day

(ps - incase you were wondering i've NEVER been a BM. Maybe it's because of this viewpoint haha!)

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics