Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

emmy1979
Rockstar June 2023 West Yorkshire

Help! My dream dress will be too cold, and I'm too short for it...

emmy1979, 10 November, 2009 at 11:03 Posted on Planning 0 12

Hi,

First time post but I really need help. I'm getting married next christmas (December 18th) so thought I had plenty of time to sort my dress out. I've searched online and loved Charlotte Balbier's 'Garbo'. I've contacted a few shops but it's now out of stock! Also I've seen it on another bride online who was short and it didn't look like I thought it would and also it looked too flimsy for a winter gown.

Nevermind I thought, I can go for Jenny Packham's 'Thalia'. No I can't because apparently it's runway only. If I spend anymore (work) time searching wedding dresses I'm going to cry. I'm 5ft 3", size 10 top, 12 bottom and have a post 2 babies tummy. I do not under any circumstances want a strapless gown. 3/4 length sleeves in a hippie/boho style would be the ideal and heavy fabric would be better for the cold (I live in the north). I love Elie Saab's coronation dress for the Queen Rania but my budget will not stretch that far unfortunately!

Any ideas anyone? Any help would be really, really appreciated because I'm stuck!

Emmy

12 replies

Latest activity by Mrs S*, 11 November, 2009 at 10:57
  • Kim31
    Kim31 ·
    • Hide content

Http://www.onewedding.co.uk/wedding-dress/charlotte-balbier/garbo/

Try is they find where your dress is in stock....

HTH

Kim x

• Charlied
    Beginner October 2010
    Charlied ·
    • Hide content

Hi and welcome, I am also a fellow 10 - top 12-bottom but think im 5'1. You havent said how many dresses you have actually tried on yet?! That is the true test, you might be surprised with what you like. I got my dress last week and I never would have picked it off the internet, in fact I dont like the picture on the model. Also dont worry too much about weather. My sister got married in December and wore very flimsy dress and the hotel had the heating pumped so high it didnt matter.

• emmy1979
    emmy1979 ·
    • Hide content

I've tried 2 dresses on. One an Alfred Angelo that I hated and the other was a Claire Pettibone and it just didn't sit right. To be honest I'm starting to think that I just don't suit wedding dresses! I'm a funny shape and I'm quite fussy about which parts of my body are on show.

I've tried the one wedding website - emailed 3 of the stockists in my area and none have the 'garbo' in stock. I don't really like going into Bridal shops without knowing there's a particular dress I want to try. Maybe I need to be a bit braver. :-(

• Kim31
    Kim31 ·
    • Hide content

Hello...

Have you thought about having one made? That way you can get the dress maker to make you exactly what you want, sometimes it works out the same cost as the ready made

• S
    Beginner February 2010
    Serafina ·
    • Hide content

Would you consider one that comes with a matching bolero? Charlotte Balbier's 'Kitty' is lovely.

• Mrs S*
    Beginner January 2010
    Mrs S* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Firstly, hello.

You will find a dress that suits you, you may just be looking at the wrong dresses. Go into a wedding dress shop with an open mind. Tell the assistant what your budget is (no point falling for a dress you can't afford) and get them to pick a few dresses that they think will suit you. You can always get a little jacket type thing for warmth, but you'll prob not want it on for the reception as they'll wack the heating up and you'll be hot.

Be brave, you will find a dress. A lot of brides on here had an exact dress they wanted and in reality the dress they chose is the complete opposite. Also, remember that your dress will be made to fit your shape, no matter how 'funny' it is!

• I
    Beginner January 1999
    irrelephant ·
    • Hide content

Hey welcome to hitched!

Firstly i wouldn't worry about a dress being 'flimsy' and not heavy enough for the cold. Obviously you're going to need to keep warm but unless you're having an outside ceremony and going to be outside for aaaaages for photos and what not, you need to think that for the reception at least you're going to be in a warm place, and especially once you get dancing and stuff at night you're not going to want to be wearing anything too heavy. There's no reason why you can't go for a lighter fabric and put some heavier stockings underneath and get a bolero or cashmere shawl or wrap or stole to put over the top in church or outside for photos or whatever you think might make you colder.

also i wouldn't be afraid to just book an appointment and go and try on lots of different styles. you might find something you love that way that you wouldnt normally look twice at!

• emmy1979
    emmy1979 ·
    • Hide content

Oooh good someone else who is getting married on the same day! I was feeling a bit wobbly about the date because it's so close to christmas and the dark evenings are really kicking in now (as is the wind and rain!!!) but it's good to know that there is someone else out there taking the plunge! Have you done much planning? I've done nothing apart from set the date and book the reception - haven't found a church that'll have us yet but the hotel have said we can always have a civil ceremony there to fall back on. Where are you getting married?

Kim- getting a dress made is defintely something I'm interested in. I've booked appointments at two poles apart bridal shops. One is a very high end designer only stockists which I've been to before and they're quite initimidating but I've taken on board everyone's comments that I need to be brave and then another at Oxfam's bridal department in Bradford. That'll be a test if I really like the vintage/hippies style. Anyone else out there ever had an Oxfam dress?

• Maxibon
    Beginner March 2009
    Maxibon ·
    • Hide content

Hi! welcome to hitched.

I dont have any suggestions but I didnt want to read and run!

I think you are being too hard on yourself, just relax, dress shopping is supposed to be enjoyable! Who are you taking with you? that could be the difference between a confident you and a timid you. Take a deep breath and go in open minded. Incidently I'm 5'1.5" and tried on lots of dresses!!

good luck xxx

• emmy1979
    emmy1979 ·
    • Hide content

Thanks Max - I'm not taking anyone with me initially. Was going to take them along when I'd found something I like. Is that a bad idea? I'm not enjoying looking for the dress at all to be honest...think I'm getting worked up about having to strip off in front of strangers to try them on. I hate it.

Congratulations on your pg, is this your first? x

• Mrs S*
    Beginner January 2010
    Mrs S* ·
    • Hide content

I had a look in the oxfam shop in Cambridge and i wasn't impressed. It seemed like the really old dresses that couldn't be sold on e*bay went there. Yours might be different. Try a middle of the road stockist too.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics