Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

S
Beginner May 2010

Help - My dress is too short

sophy120, 21 March, 2010 at 11:18 Posted on Planning 0 13

I got the call the other day, and went to try on my dress, I’d ordered it in the size smaller and I was so worried that it wouldn’t fit I decided to go on my own to try it on. I had already bought my wedding shoes that I LOVE! The bridesmaids have the same in purple so we all match. The great news is that I’d lost enough weigh and the dress fitted, i expected to feel like a princess but with my shoes on the dress was a mile of the floor, I’m 5 10 and live in heels I’d never go on a night out without them, the woman in the shop said i would need flats, and gave me a pair to try. They looked ok but my posture wasn’t right. And i don’t like how i look in the dress. I’m deverstated and don’t have a clue what to do. It also means that the bridesmaids will be taller than me Smiley sad

I spoke to my h2b when i got home and said I would be in flat shoes and he was disappointed and said he loves it when I wear heels (not all that helpful a comment at this point but at least he was being honest)

I don’t have the budget to get another dress and there is nothing in the hem that can be taken down can anyone offer any advice please?

This is my dress but mine is ivory

this is the link to the shoes

http://www.next.co.uk/shopping/women/goingoutoccasion/27/9?extra=sch&n=women&pid=493-962&exclude=00E00%7c00ED00&returnurl=%2fshop%2fgattcolour%2dcream%2dgattgender%2dwomen%2dcat%2dshoes%2d0%3fnxti%3d0%26nxtv%3d0%26isort%3dbst&bct=%26quot%3bShop%20By%20Product%26quot%3b%26nbsp%3b%26gt%3b%26nbsp%3bCream%26nbsp%3b%26gt%3b%26nbsp%3bWomen%26nbsp%3b%26gt%3b%26nbsp%3bShoes

Thanks Smiley smile

13 replies

Latest activity by brideseekingblush, 22 March, 2010 at 12:45
  • Lynseys Designs
    Beginner
    Lynseys Designs ·
    • Hide content

Didn't the shop explain when you ordered the dress about the length? I think dresses can be ordered in a longer length for taller people so they really should have asked you about shoes. Don't really know what to say because if the hem can't be taken down then flat shoes might be the only way. No one will see them under the dress but i know that doesn't help. x

• Keltickurse
    Beginner March 2011
    Keltickurse ·
    • Hide content

Could you try the dress with a low pair of kitten heels

they wouldn't be high enough to make the dress look silly but they may help with the posture issue a little.

theres also a few nice pairs about on various wedding sites.

• teeheeyoucrazyguys!
    teeheeyoucrazyguys! ·
    • Hide content

Oh heck! My wedding dress was taken up to skim the floor, revealing my feet when I walked. Having it on the ground would have been a pain in the arse, how short is your dress?

To your instep? To your ankle? You have looked at that picture for so long it might be that thats how you want it to be....would ballerina length work?

And i think it was pretty darn rude for the woman to say you would HAVE to wear flats.....

Can you take a pic of you wearing it.....??

• teeheeyoucrazyguys!
    teeheeyoucrazyguys! ·
    • Hide content

Just had a look at your shoes; do they come with the glittery embellishment???? You might find they catch on the inside of your dress and snag it.... you may therefore be glad of a shorter length??? plus....SHOW THOSE SHOES OFF!! Smiley smile))

• B
    Beginner July 2010
    brideseekingblush ·
    • Hide content

Shoes are beautiful. I have a pair like that from Next that are silver and they are really comfy too. ?

Ballerina length is a possibility, but as a 5'10 and a half girl I do sympathise - growing up I always felt my clothes were too short - I could never get trousers that fitted properly, and so I know how you feel about not wanting the dress to look like it doesn't fit.

One solution might be to get a different dress for the evening and then you can wear your heels with abandon?

Or is there a possiblity they could put a sort of ivory silk bit around the bottom - sort of like you have edging of on a blanket (obv that's not a very good analogy, but hope you can swim!)

You might find that if you pracrice walking in a pair of flats you will get your posture sorted out?

• S
    Beginner May 2010
    sophy120 ·
    • Hide content

Its about an inch off the floor in flats so in my ideal wedding shoes its 4 inches off the floor. i wouldnt minds wearing kitten heels as that would help with my posture and would put me at the same hight as the BM's but i think even kitten heels will be too high.

I could of taken pictures of me in it i think, but i was just so upset i didn't stick around in the shop and didn't want to be wearing it.

What do you think of adding a layer of wide ivory ribbon behind the bottom layer? or wearing a long petticote so i have an extra layer of fabric behind?

• S
    Beginner May 2010
    sophy120 ·
    • Hide content

Like this

or this

I really dont think i can justifi the cost of another outfit for the evening so I have to somehow make it work. Or put up with flat shoes.

• teeheeyoucrazyguys!
    teeheeyoucrazyguys! ·
    • Hide content

I was going to suggest a layer of tulle net or something under the hem but wasnt sure how you'd feel about it. If a seamstress thinks the cut of the dress would get away with it then do it......

I@m erally surprised that the shop finished off the dress without having seen your shoes! If there was no request to see your shoes on a final fitting then they are at fault and should pay for the alteration.

• S
    Beginner May 2010
    sophy120 ·
    • Hide content

I haven't even had my first fitting, it came with a finished hem!! Smiley sad

I'm going to rope my mum in for moral support and go back to see them.

Thanks for you help all, i'll keep you updated Smiley smile

• Steelgoddess
    Beginner June 2010
    Steelgoddess ·
    • Hide content

That seems odd as when you got fitted they should of taken shoes into account!

Tell them its not good enough hon!!

xx

• Lynseys Designs
    Beginner
    Lynseys Designs ·
    • Hide content

I think all dresses comes with a finished hem, obviously apart from made to measure ones, but the shop should have seen what the sample looked like on you and then asked what sort of heel you might want to wear. If you had said that you liked high heels they would have known you needed the longer length ordered in.

I really think they are at fault because you weren't to know the standard length of dresses. Speak to the shop and explain this because 'wear flat shoes' isn't an acceptable answer if you weren't correctly advised when ordering.

Are you wearing a hoop? If not be careful with your shoes. My bm wore sparkly shoes and her hem was distroyed before the ceremony even started because the sparkles caught the hem as soon as she walked. You may be ok because the sparkles are at the side but keep it in mind.

x

• grace85
    Beginner February 2011
    grace85 ·
    • Hide content

I really feel for you as i'm a 5'10 girl myself and i was dreading not finding a dress long enough!!

As the others have said the fault is all down to the shop, they are proffesionals and should know all about the length and heel height etc.

The shop i brought my dress from tried to convince me i didn't need the extra length (even tho i was paying for it) but i was adament i wanted it so i had some extra to play with.

For what it's worth i think your dress will still look lovely with something added to the bottom and i would do all i could to get the shop to pay for the alterations.

Well done on loosing the weight to get into it tho.

xxxx

• 3d jewellery
    3d jewellery ·
    • Hide content

I was going to suggest a deep lace edging on your petticoat

• B
    Beginner July 2010
    brideseekingblush ·
    • Hide content

I think the second of the pics you posted looks lovely - or you could even have something that echoes the bodice of your dress. I'd get it off your current shop and get someone else to do the additions.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics