Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

L
Beginner December 2014

HELP! My guests are inviting other people to the wedding!!

LondonBride2014, 20 of July of 2014 at 22:32 Posted on Planning 1 12

Hi fellow brides to be ( and grooms - to - be too)

I'm experiencing the most stressful problem and I need some help.

My H2B and I got engaged in December, by February we had our guest list baked and invites were ordered and sent in the post in May for our Wedding this Christmas. We have a tight budget, we initially wanted a small, intimate wedding with just immediate family and close friends. However family intervened and as excitement grew, so did our guest list. We chose a reception venue that could hold 62 guests for the Wedding Breakfast and at the time it was perfect. It could hold more for dancing and drinking in the evening so we knew when we wanted to let our hair down with Friends we could invite them all for the fun part.

Fast forward to now and we've had to change reception venues to accommodate 80 guests, spend an additional £3k and I'm losing it. It started with my uncle, who I haven't spoken with in 10 years, who hasn't even congratulated me or H2B on our engagement, calling my mother insisting his kids, their partners and their kids be invited to the wedding. So theres an additional 8 people we don't know, don't care about and yet somehow they are invited. Then theres the usual RSVP from people who hadn't been invited with a plus one with "Both myself and <insert bf/gf name of 1month here> would love to attend" But my latest gripe is that an Aunt has reached out asking whether her teenage children could have dates join the party for the evening reception. "Sure- I'd be delighted" except now she's asking if they can come to the ceremony too .... so does this mean if I say yes to the ceremony that I will need to set them a place at the wedding breakfast? Or can I expect people to go to the church ceremony, doss around the city for 5 hours and then come to the evening reception?

Then a family friend of mine has decided he and his family are coming to the ceremony- but I hadnt invited them and so would I need to account for them at the reception? I had planned to invite them to the evening reception as they are friends of my parents and not particularly close to me or H2B. The evening reception is really just a big party, lots of booze, dancing and I am totally fine with people I don't know joining in at that point, I'm not expecting a gift or anything from guests, I just want to have some fun with my friends.

So, I ask- somebody, anybody, please help!! I don't know how best to face these situations without seeming impolite. I've checked the internet for the etiquette and rules around this and nothing is really helping.

12 replies

Latest activity by inovermyhead, 22 of July of 2014 at 11:12
  • W
    Beginner December 2014
    WinterBride14 ·
    • Hide content

You need to start learning how to say no to these people! As has been said, blame it on the venue capacity if necessary. If etiquette & rules came into this, these guests wouldnt be putting pressure on you to invite everyone.

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content

I think the question has to be why are you saying yes to these requests?

To change venue and up the budget to include guests you don't want there is crazy!

• Paula @ Ollievision
    Paula @ Ollievision ·
    • Hide content

I agree with the others! Just wondering... are you the kind of person who likes to keep the peace and say yes to avoid a dispute? These people are treating you in a completely different way to how they would treat an assertive person.

My husband is like you, he'd end up in the same situation. After we married, he decided there were times that he needed to "find his inner Paula" and stand up for himself!

Your time has come! If you would like me to role play (on the phone) how you can say no to these people you will find my number on my website. I will help you find your inner Paula and stand up for yourself!

• Ali_G
    Beginner October 2012
    Ali_G ·
    • Hide content

What Kharv said. Why do you keep saying yes?

I know it sounds insensitive - and I'm sorry - but you need to get a backbone! You can't let other people decide who's coming to your wedding. If you can accomodate them at the evening reception, great. But don't let them invite themselves and their friends along willy nilly.

If you have to use the venue capacity as an excuse, go for it.

• L
    Beginner December 2014
    LondonBride2014 ·
    • Hide content

Thanks all for your help!

I am infact a very assertive person mainly in my career, however, as the first of my parents children to get married and h2b being the first in his family, we seem to just not want to offend anyone.

I think I may be making a few phone calls this evening and explaining limited on numbers- etc. Will review after we receive all RSVPs if theres any extra spaces etc etc.

Still think as soon as I get ballsy about this I'm going to appear like a Bridezilla...

Thanks again for your comments :-)

• Lorns
    Rockstar May 2015
    Lorns ·
    • Hide content

If it were me, I would be saying no. Our guest list has significantly shrunk in the past few months due to us being really harsh. If we havent seen/heard/spoke to them for more than 6 months... are they friends, do we need/want them there?

If people wanted to bring a few exra to the evening then fine (within reason) but to the ceremony/wedding breakfast and you don't know/care for them?? Hell no!

Beginner April 2014
    **Claire** ·
    • Hide content

I gave the response of: our evening reception is from 7pm. You are also welcome to join us for the church ceremony but we understand if you don't want to wait around in the afternoon and would prefer to come just for he evening i.e. You won't have a seat at the reception!

• Alreadymarried
    Alreadymarried ·
    • Hide content

Um....just say no?? Come on!

You don't have to be rude, but seriously stop letting people walk all over you.

• L
    Beginner December 2014
    LondonBride2014 ·
    • Hide content

Thanks all- standing my ground now and said no!

The encouragement is well received.

no more miss nice bride!! Smiley smile

• MrsShep
    Beginner September 2014
    MrsShep ·
    • Hide content

Oh my goodness, I'd have gone nuts at this! I was very firm with my mum and one of her best friends when this sort of thing was mentioned, I just wouldn't have it! Stay strong Smiley smile

• A
    Beginner March 2015
    AshleighS ·
    • Hide content

Oh my that sounds like a nightmare situation! Really hope you manage to reign these people in. I think its really disrespectful to invite yourself to someone else's wedding! ?

I'm with Lorns on this one. I have been SO strict with our guest list. If we haven't spoken in 6 months, Family or not, you are not coming to my wedding.

I refuse to pay for a stranger to have a day out. ?

Good luck!

• I
    Beginner June 2016
    inovermyhead ·
    • Hide content

Just my thoughts... Although I agree that you should only invite who you wish and shouldn't come under pressure from family or friends to invite others (personally think it's very rude) it seems to me that weddings bring out the worst in people and seems to give people a sense of entitlement. As soon as you proffer a different opinion or view or idea for YOUR day that doesn't agree with them, then the bridezilla accusation gets bandied about. It's very hard to try and balance what you and H2B want against pressure from family (especially if they're helping with cost) but at the same time it's one day and you'll probably not notice the extras being there as you concentrate on those who you did want there.... Good luck

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics