Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

InkedDoll
VIP January 2015

Help! My hair's too soft

InkedDoll, 6 of January of 2015 at 11:01 Posted on Planning 0 7

So I had my hair dyed on Saturday (first time ever having it coloured at a salon - check me out, I'm a grownup!) and whilst I absolutely love the colour, I do not love the condition it's in. My normally very thick, coarse, wavy hair has gone ridiculously soft, fluffy and slippy. it won't hold a style at all and I'm starting to worry that it isn't gonna recover before the wedding. I've straightened it and tried hairspray, volumising powder, backcombing etc but nothing is making much difference.

I've tried googling phrases like "hair too soft after colouring" and "make hair less soft" but almost all the hits are about how to make your hair MORE soft. Anyone got experience of this? I normally only wash every 3-4 days, so probably only another 3 washes before the wedding. Any bright ideas to give it back some texture and body? Am I panicking over nothing? Help!

7 replies

Latest activity by Dddaaaada, 7 of July of 2022 at 04:34
  • LittleLocketanco
    Beginner
    LittleLocketanco ·
    • Hide content

Oooooo that's not good! Have you a hairdresser for your wedding? Could you visit a salon for advice on holding your style?

good luck, you'll sort it! X

• Calella
    Beginner August 2016
    Calella ·
    • Hide content

Hello! Try a salt spray maybe? Alternatively don't use conditioner. Another possibility is to try a silicone free conditioner, which is what makes your hair all silky when you condition it. A lot of lush conditioner is silicone free, I use American cream. They also have products like "Big" which has salt in it to make your hair a bit more coarse!

Worth a shot Smiley smile

• InkedDoll
    VIP January 2015
    InkedDoll ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Nope, I'm doing it myself. I think next time I wash I'll lay off conditioner altogether and see how that affects it. It won't be a disaster on the day as I'm using a hair rat for volume and I can use 8 million pins to hold it together, it just feels weird.

• Mai15Bride
    Beginner May 2015
    Mai15Bride ·
    • Hide content

I have really soft hair in general but at the same time cannot go without conditioner as it gets too tangled otherwise.

What I have found really helps is conditioning first and then washing it with shampoo. That way you still get the benefit of the conditioner, but your hair is not too soft.

• S
    Beginner October 2015
    Stephie ·
    • Hide content

Mine does that too! Try increasing your washes before the wedding, this will dry your hair out and hopefully remove some of the oils used in the hair dye

• pammy67
    Beginner April 2015
    pammy67 ·
    • Hide content

Dry shampoo....gives texture, deffo ease up conditioner. When first coloured, hair is always silky soft due to the conditioner but be careful ditching it as your hair will be more brittle. Just treat it gently. You could try a spray in and leave in conditioner after not using one while washing. Hairspray before back combing helps hold the back combing in too. The right hairspray helps as well. I find bed head rockabilly is rock hard and goes nowhere lol. X

• E
    Beginner July 2022 South East London
    Elizabeth ·
    • Hide content
    You may need to use products with protein in - curlsmith do a “core strength” line which I’ve been using

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics