Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Lola-Belle
Beginner April 2013

HELP! MY VENUE IS PLANNING TO START HUGE BUILDING WORKS ! [:(]

Lola-Belle, 8 June, 2011 at 12:33 Posted on Planning 0 11

I cant beleive it!! My dream venue has decided it is going to knock down an unused part of the hotel and build 157 new homes, then extend the back of the hotel!

I've paid my deposit, there planning application is being reviewed today part of me is thinking I hope its knocked back part or me wants them to get it as ive heard they may close the hotel if they dont!

I dont know what to do ! Its only £250 deposit id loose but its my dream venue do I hang on and hope for the best or do I duck out now and loose my dream venue that might end up even better ???

I havnt got the insurance yet but If I get it and there is building work will my wedding insurance cover me ???

hellppp!!

11 replies

Latest activity by Lola-Belle, 10 June, 2011 at 12:57
  • ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content

Bit confused. What's the problem with the building work? You might not like the finished product? It will be ongoing at the time of your wedding day?

• Flowmojo
    Beginner
    Flowmojo ·
    • Hide content

In confused too, you have nearly 2 years to go aswell?

• Browny
    Beginner June 2011
    Browny ·
    • Hide content

I think you need to relax and wait to see what the outcome is. If its approved and it improves the venue (which it probably will do, otherwise why would they bother) - whats the problem?

• ajdown
    VIP September 2011
    ajdown ·
    • Hide content

Me three.

How is the building work going to impact it being your 'dream venue', if it's an unused part, and the homes being built are at the back of the venue.

Have you contacted the hotel to find out how this will impact your day? They ought to have some drawings/computer mock ups to show you. Sure, I can understand the concern that your wide open space photos you had planned will look like a building site in the background, but a good photographer should be able to get round that with some clever shots or different angles in the majority of cases.

We had a choice of two venues, one had building work planned and they showed us how it was all meant to look. In the end we chose the other venue but it was nothing to do with the building works.

I suggest getting your insurance sorted out sooner rather than later just in case the rumour of its closure is true - but I'm guessing it's unlikely.

No insurance will cover a 'change of mind' because your venue has been altered; however you may wish to express your concerns to your contact at the hotel as they may be able to reassure you and you are actually panicking for nothing.

• Lola-Belle
    Beginner April 2013
    Lola-Belle ·
    • Hide content

Hi all, sorry for the lack of detail ect in a blind panic didnt mention everything.

They dont know when the building work is going to start or finish, the unused part of the building which is to be demolished and houses built on is actually joined onto my night room. Seperated by just an internal wall.

They are also planning to extend the back of the hotel with new function rooms and revamp the rest.

My worry is if they knock down the un-used part first then my guests will be stood in a building site whilst getting their hog roast! and looking out of the wall length window onto diggers or knocking the old part down has complications and has an effect on my room.

If they do the extension first and im moved into the new area then it will be a bonus a nice spanky new room!.. the thing im worried about it they just keep saying we're not sure what we will do but have said it should go ahead withing the next year or two. (Its a privatly owned hotel so its not like I can speak to a head office or anything)

I think its the fact I dont know and neither do they, I might have this effect it might have that effect Smiley atonished

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content

Do you have some pictures/internet link so we can have a nosy and get a feel for what you are saying?

• JonCraven
    JonCraven ·
    • Hide content

(IANAL) But if there are building works being completed during your day and this affects your plans/enjoyment, I'd argue that you could claim ALL your money back if you want to cancel.

Can you imagine buying a red car, paying your deposit and it arrives blue?! You'd be up in arms - same principle isn't it?!

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Oh I absolutely agree with this.

• greenleaf
    greenleaf ·
    • Hide content

I know the hotel that you are mentioning, Unfortunatly this has been in planning since 2003. Is the wedding on a saturday and how far in advance is it?

I believe that they will demolish the old funtion rooms and night club first, then revamp the hotel with the middle function room. they will have planned it all out so that there is minimal disruption to the hotel side of things because lets be honest thats the only side of the complex that is operational and making money. (or so i would expect)

There is more than 1 internal wall between what they are demolishing and your function room so i dont think there is any need to worry on that side.

• P
    Beginner September 2011
    PrettySparkly ·
    • Hide content

I know it's good to come on here and vent, but I think in this case you really need to sit down with the manager of the hotel and talk through your concerns. You're obviously (and very rightly) concerned about how this building work is going to affect your big day. If what one of the other posters said is true, and these plans have been in the offing since 2003, then really this is something that they should have mentioned to you at the time you booked and paid your deposit.

If there was no mention of these building works or any possible disruption then I think you absolutely have a case to get your deposit back.

Get down to that hotel now and demand a meeting with the manager.

• greenleaf
    greenleaf ·
    • Hide content

To be honest its not as easy as that, the hotel staff and management dont know anything, the plans have been changed and put back, changed again then put back and there has been no communication with the hotel staff at all. I have asked one month whats happening with the staff saying it probably wont happen to work starting a month later.

Lal is a very helpful manager but can only say what hes been told. at present i believe that he is booking weddings with no deposit as he doesnt know any timescales. I think its a case of whether the work will be finished by the time of the wedding or in a state where it will not affect the wedding.

Meeting to discuss your concerns is the best option though

• Lola-Belle
    Beginner April 2013
    Lola-Belle ·
    • Hide content

Hi , yes the plans were in place but were not approved acording to the planning department.

They have now revised it and it has been approved but I belive the stipulation will be that the hotel is done first... so with that in mind im rarther happy about it !

Lal is fantastic and has kept me completey up to date and I know will continue to.

Thanks for all your help when I posted I was in a blind panic as I was totally usure what to do! Ive came to the decision that I will stick with the hotel and hope that the hotel is done first. If that is the case I will get a brand new spanky function room well away from the housing development.

I think I was mostly upset as I personally love this place as it it but I understand the owner cant just keep it the way it is for me (mores the pity Smiley tongue)

Thanks again for all your comments and advise!!! Smiley smile

What would I do without you all!!!

xx

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics