Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

vicklee
Beginner May 2012

help need a venue in hampshire.

vicklee, 9 March, 2011 at 21:35 Posted on Planning 0 27

Hi ya we're looking for a venue to hold our wedding reseption.

only have a max of 5 k to spend so im finding it really hard.

wedding breakfast for 50-70 and 100 + in the evening.

please help x

27 replies

Latest activity by allabouteve13, 14 May, 2011 at 00:07
  • *Mini*
    Beginner January 2012
    *Mini* ·
    • Hide content

Whereabouts in Hampshire and is there anything you really dont want??

• K
    Beginner April 2011
    Keli ·
    • Hide content

Hi Vicklee

We are getting married in the Hook House Hotel in Hampshire, this April.

I know they do some really good deals for winter weddings, catering for the number you have quoted, this was what we were orginally going to do, but we had to many people and need to use the marquee, which they do not open for use until April.

They might be worth a look, there details can be found on the hitched venue.

HTH

Keli

• Inspire Me Designs
    Inspire Me Designs ·
    • Hide content

Hi

Where abouts are you based?

I'm based in Yateley in North Hampshire.

Keli - Hook House Hotel? How fab.... I used to live in Hook and now in Yateley. My hubby still works in Hook though. Small world.

Nat

• vicklee
    Beginner May 2012
    vicklee ·
    • Hide content

Im in southampton hun. we're going to look at sopley mill 2mrow i cant wait x

where you having yours?

• Teri_M
    Teri_M ·
    • Hide content

Hi Vicklee, was racking my brain, and one of my favorite weddings from last year had their reception here: https://www.threetunsinn.com/

There was an old barn in the back they used as well as a marquee, and loads of outdoor space. The food was amazing, and we just went back there last weekend with another hitcher Cricketbride, when we shot their engagement session, so she can vouch for the food, lol. At lease this may be another option if you decide against Sopley Mill. Good luck!

• lisaloulou
    Beginner
    lisaloulou ·
    • Hide content

Hi Vicklee I'm in Southampton too ?

How about one of the New Forest Hotels chain https://www.newforesthotels.co.uk/ - they have 4 to choose from.

Or Potters Heron in Ampfield https://www.english-inns.co.uk/Hampshire.htm

Lisa x

• ajdown
    VIP September 2011
    ajdown ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Indeed, lovely venues, we've picked their Beaulieu hotel for our big day, it was a toss between that and Bartley Lodge but overall Beaulieu won because the function room was more suited to our needs - although the gardens at Bartley would have made better photos.

I came across them some years ago when looking for a conference venue. Have found them very accommodating despite our plans being "non standard", and they do have some quite reasonable set packages you can choose from too if you want an all inclusive easy to budget for day.

A few photos I took for inspiration at the Beaulieu Hotel. Apologies for my cruddy photography Smiley smile

We have more photos if you'd like to see them.

• lisaloulou
    Beginner
    lisaloulou ·
    • Hide content

Oh meant to say, I LOVED the look of Sopley Mill (but unfortunateley had to discount it because it had no lift for the oldies so never viewed it). Hope your viewing goes well.

• em rose
    Beginner August 2011
    em rose ·
    • Hide content

Hi, I have friends who used Potters Heron for their reception and they couldn't fault it! My prefect venue (which we could have for one reason and another ☹️ ) is Hillier gardens!

http://www3.hants.gov.uk/hilliergardens/hilliergardens-gardentour/hilliergardens-jermynshouse.htm

hope that helps!

• vicklee
    Beginner May 2012
    vicklee ·
    • Hide content

Hi guys

so sopley mill wasnt want me thought it was. very beautiful outside but old and used inside with lots of stairs ( no good for nan!)

please do you have any other ideas for hampshire?

oh lisaloulou where about in southampton r u and wheres ur venue? x

• ajdown
    VIP September 2011
    ajdown ·
    • Hide content

What are your opinions on the other places that have been listed in this discussion?

You have an elderly relative that can't really do stairs, that's helpful; at our hotel (Beaulieu) there's only 3 steps down into the function room, or it's accessible from the car park on the flat.

Any other requirements?

• ashlil
    Beginner February 2011
    ashlil ·
    • Hide content

Hi we got married 5th Feb at https://www.esseborne-manor.co.uk/ north hampshire

and it was fabulous!!

we had 40 daytime and 100 total evening but they do bigger - but they were faultless xx

• vicklee
    Beginner May 2012
    vicklee ·
    • Hide content

Thanks guys

all very helpul, we have a few iron in the fire but everything is so much money.

i know my problem i want the wow wedding with only about 5k. is this possable.

i think im more worried about what others will think or say then the real reason we are doing it.

x

• ajdown
    VIP September 2011
    ajdown ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Who gives a stuff what others say about the day you both want? It's your wedding, not your friends, not your family's - you and your partner.

Too often we see people on here stressing out about wanting something slightly different from the "traditional" planned wedding. There are so many more options now than there were even just 10 years ago, and it's a great opportunity to really personalise your special day so it means something to you, as well as giving friends and family the opportunity to take part in it.

What exactly is it that you're worried about, in the plans you have in mind so far?

Although we're not "being different for the sake of it", we've broken from tradition by having a barn dance in the evening instead of a disco, having speeches during an earlier starting evening celebrations soe veryone can enjoy them rather than during the wedding breakfast (we can't afford to invite everyone to the WB) and not providing any free alcohol to our guests (we are providing free soft drinks till the first dance, and there is a pay bar at the hotel so people can buy alcohol if they want it. So far, nobody has complained.

If you're looking at saving money, off-season (not summer, or midweek) can save quite a chunk of change. You could also consider a smaller wedding and reception for close family and friends only, then throwing a bigger party when you get back from your honeymoon in a local pub or village hall, for example?

• vicklee
    Beginner May 2012
    vicklee ·
    • Hide content

I total understand what your saying and i know its my hang ups more then anything else.

my OH is going mad at me, we are really lucky as to where we live and the surroundings we have i.e the water front/new forest ect.

the thing is we only moved here from london 3 years ago and still dont know a great deal of the area (southampton) which is where we fall short. everything on the internet is top end of the market stuff.

i would just like a church wedding in netley abbey possaible and a venue near by.

we going to look at victoria country park soon and the waters edge hamble.

we'll see what happens. thaks for advice x

• Teri_M
    Teri_M ·
    • Hide content

I love shooting at Netley Abbey, but as it's just ruins, I was not aware they ever held any type of services or wedding ceremonies there. Hope you find the perfect venue, then the pressure will be off Smiley smile

• ajdown
    VIP September 2011
    ajdown ·
    • Hide content

We're living in London but getting married in the New Forest for two reasons - firstly the package at the Beaulieu Hotel was so much better than those almost twice the price at places we could find around Surrey, and it's about half way between Surrey (where her family live) and Somerset (where my family live). It's also quite convenient for her work colleagues from the Scottish office that can fly in to Southampton from Edinburgh and then get the train over without worrying about the added expense of car hire.

What are your thoughts on some of the venues you've looked at so far that we've put here?

You're right that many of the places you google are 'top end prices' - I wonder whether it's perhaps worth contacting a wedding planner that works in that area and asking for their advice? You don't necessarily need a full 'organise everything' type package, so you might only need a couple of hours of their time, and the cost will probably outweigh the hassle of checking out 20 unsuitable venues.

Have you been to the Hampshire Registrars site (https://www3.hants.gov.uk/registration/registration-marriage.htm) and downloaded the "Weddings in Hampshire" brochure that lists licensed veneus?

Is it definitely a church wedding you want, or would a civil ceremony in a hotel meet your needs?

• vicklee
    Beginner May 2012
    vicklee ·
    • Hide content

Oh no you cant get married there but i would like to get married in the chruch and have my pics taken there.

• Teri_M
    Teri_M ·
    • Hide content

Ahh,, now you are talking, lol. I like the way you think Smiley smile Could always get into the dress again, and do a portrait session at some point after the wedding there. That way you don't have to stress about any timings and leaving guests too long. That place is awesome Smiley smile

One thing you could do, is have a smaller number of people to the wedding, in order to have the sort of venue you want on the day. I see so many couples who feel they have to have so many people there, but it is so difficult to speak to them all. Oh, and another lovely place, Whitley Ridge, it's a very pretty location in the New Forest.

• vintageangel
    Beginner October 2011
    vintageangel ·
    • Hide content

A few places i can think off the top of my head- Lyndhurst Park Hotel, Bartley Lodge Hotel, Rownhams House, Botley Grange Hotel, Meon Valley Marriot Hotel,

Lots of venues in and around southampton on here https://www.weddingvenueoffers.co.uk/venues/results/default.aspx

Hope that helps a little x

• vicklee
    Beginner May 2012
    vicklee ·
    • Hide content

Oh thaks ajdown i will look out for that.

i would really like a church wedding but if i found the right venue i would do it there.

when your wedding? x

• ajdown
    VIP September 2011
    ajdown ·
    • Hide content

We're getting married September 2011, at the Beaulieu Hotel (I linked the venue and put some pictures of the function room a few posts back).

Another thought sprang to mind, although I have no idea of price and availability (they say 2011 fully booked) - https://setleyridge.co.uk/ just south of Brockenhurst- it's a vineyard/farm shop and you can get married in one of the fields, they also have in-house catering available.

Even if you don't look at getting married there the farm shop is well worth a visit, their butterscotch sauce is awesome Smiley smile

• vicklee
    Beginner May 2012
    vicklee ·
    • Hide content

Not long now ajdown. my mum got married at the same place you are having your wedding it was lovely.

still looking still looking x

• vicklee
    Beginner May 2012
    vicklee ·
    • Hide content

We still havent found a venue and over just over a year please help.

farms/barns/hotels and thing x x x

• M
    Beginner May 2012
    minky_moo ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Long time reader, but first time posting! I live in Southampton and looked at A LOT of reception venues (we're having a church ceremony)! Have you looked at the Tudor Merchant's Hall in the city centre?

http://www.southampton.gov.uk/s-leisure/artsheritage/museums-galleries/merchant.aspx

We didn't view it but it seems a good option on a budget as you can cater for it yourself. We stuck to hotels mainly so tried Botleigh Grange, Botley Park, Carey's Manor, all four of the New Forest hotels (which were really reasonable!), Marwell Hotel, Hilton in Chilworth..there were more but I can't find the list at the moment! Smiley smile

• belindacoles
    Beginner May 2011
    belindacoles ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I live in Yateley Smiley smile

• belindacoles
    Beginner May 2011
    belindacoles ·
    • Hide content

Depends where abouts you are based in Hampshire, it covers a big area :o)

There are lots of hotels in the new forest that offer weekday wedding packages. My sister got married on a Friday at the Lyndhurst Park Hotel and it was lovely.

I know that Taplins Place is very reasonable http://www.taplinsplace.co.uk/ and also Tweseldown Race Course https://www.tweseldown.co.uk/

I live in Hampshire and am getting married here (shameless flash) https://rivervale-barn-weddings.co.uk/

• A
    Beginner May 2011
    allabouteve13 ·
    • Hide content

Hi we're getting married at old thorns they have spend something like £40million improving and it is a beautiful setting and very affordable. The hotel is based in Liphook.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics