Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

G
Beginner August 2012

Help needed! August wedding, really afraid of wasps!! what can I do?

Gemma&Chantelle, 13 May, 2012 at 21:53 Posted on Planning 0 11

I know this may seem silly to some.... we are having our civil ceremony outside in our venues garden, Being the middle of August wasps will be out in full force!!!!

I am really scared of them and there's no way I can just "stand still and it will leave me alone".. I WILL DO THE WASP DANCE!

Any ideas on an effective wasp deter-ant? Like something we can hang all around the garden area??

My sis went to a summer wedding last August and she said wasps were a real pain, to the point it was relentless!

Please help??!!

11 replies

Latest activity by Gemma&Chantelle, 14 May, 2012 at 19:42
  • BadgerBeetle
    Beginner November 2012
    BadgerBeetle ·
    • Hide content

I think citronella candles repel wasps? You can get great outdoor ones in Asda at the moment that aren't too expensive.

• BadgerBeetle
    Beginner November 2012
    BadgerBeetle ·
    • Hide content

They smell nice too, very light and lemony.

• BlossomJ
    Beginner July 2014
    BlossomJ ·
    • Hide content

I'm really worrying about this too ☹️ I am terrified of them, might have to look into being hypnotised or something before our big day ?

• Chickster
    Beginner August 2013
    Chickster ·
    • Hide content

I went to a wedding reception in a tipi and it got attacked by wasps because they could smell the wedding cake (they were climbing all over the cake, it was horrible). The brides aunt suggested one of the best wedding super-hints I have ever come across - she put four lit tealights around the cake which totally sorted the problem out because wasps won't go anywhere near the heat and the heat carried the sweet smell away. The wasps stayed away from the tipi after that.

Make sure you have burning candles at the alter - perhaps a couple of free standing tall candleabras? The wasps should stay away from you during the ceremony at least. If you are having a reception outside, make sure there are lit candles on the tables during the wedding breakfast and especially around the cake! As already mentioned in the above post, you could try citronella candles for a double hit!

• hannah22
    Beginner August 2012
    hannah22 ·
    • Hide content

Defo go for some citronella candles, you can get some really pretty ones!

• pandorasbox
    Beginner August 2012
    pandorasbox ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Didn't you think of this before deciding where to get married?! I am the same, our venue was banging on about having a gazebo organised for outdoor weddings, but I very firmly said no way. If people want to go outside after the ceremony that is up to them, but I will be hiding from wasps and bees if they are about. I can imagine all our photos ruined by either a) me closing my eyes as always, or b) doing the crazy wasp dance plus psycho scream.

• jojo2
    Beginner June 2012
    jojo2 ·
    • Hide content

I am terrified of wasps, almost jumped out of a moving taxi because of one, driver had to get it out! I am putting citronella everywhere for the drinks reception as i don't want any comedy video's.

• G
    Beginner August 2012
    Gemma&Chantelle ·
    • Hide content

Firstly thank you for your sarcasm.... "Man up" ?

As much as I am scared of wasps this isn't something that would dictate how we wanted our wedding day to be.

My future wife has got her heart set on getting married outside, the sit down meal and reception is inside so really it's just 40mins for the ceremony.

From the replies to the post I am clearly not the only one that is worried about this, and I have got lots of tips to work with.

• T
    Beginner July 2012
    Thursday Bride ·
    • Hide content

You need a "kiss of death" wasp trap!

http://www.girliegardening.com/wildlife-garden-gifts/82-wasp-trap

• G
    Beginner August 2012
    Gemma&Chantelle ·
    • Hide content

Thank you Thursday Bride - will take a look!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics